PDA

View Full Version : PSA make sure you floss after morning sickness!!

MSWR0319
01-09-2013, 01:27 PM
I just got home from the dentist and have 7 cavities between my teeth!! I'm horrified. DS is 8 mo and all they can come up with is it's from morning sickness because I was throwing up numerous times a day and of course didn't feel like flossing because it gagged me. He told me they usually see if from diet pop but since I only drink water and don't eat of sweets, he's guessing it was the acid from throwing up.. So, if you can manage make sure to floss or you may end up with cavities!!

Katigre
01-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Actually, pregnancy itself changes your saliva composition to be more acidic. Because of this, you are vulnerable to cavities and gum disease because your saliva can't do is proper job of remineralizing your teeth. Flossing will do very little to address this issue because it is an issue of mouth ph and overgrowth of bad acidic bacteria instead of healthy mouth bacteria.

It is IMPERATIVE that you get the mouth chemistry issue resolved asap because you will colonize your baby's mouth with your own mouth bacteria, and right now that would be decay-promoting.

I've been doing dr Ellie's dental protocol for the past few months and Xylitol for a year. It has made a huge difference in my teeth and I recommend it highly.

Note: if your cavities are all small then I would wait and try to heal them with her fluoride Xylitol combo first. DS had a very visible cavity between his front teeth that is now gone. We just did Xylitol and the dr ellie protocol.

www.drellie.com/Ellie-Phillips-My-Recommendations.php

We get Xylitol gum and mints from www.epicdental.com

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)

MSWR0319
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Actually, pregnancy itself changes your saliva composition to be more acidic. Because of this, you are vulnerable to cavities and gum disease because your saliva can't do is proper job of remineralizing your teeth. Flossing will do very little to address this issue because it is an issue of mouth ph and overgrowth of bad acidic bacteria instead of healthy mouth bacteria.

It is IMPERATIVE that you get the mouth chemistry issue resolved asap because you will colonize your baby's mouth with your own mouth bacteria, and right now that would be decay-promoting.

I've been doing dr Ellie's dental protocol for the past few months and Xylitol for a year. It has made a huge difference in my teeth and I recommend it highly.

Note: if your cavities are all small then I would wait and try to heal them with her fluoride Xylitol combo first. DS had a very visible cavity between his front teeth that is now gone. We just did Xylitol and the dr ellie protocol.

www.drellie.com/Ellie-Phillips-My-Recommendations.php

We get Xylitol gum and mints from www.epicdental.com

great info! I asked about being pregnant and the hygienist said that's just a myth that actual pregnancy causes problems. They actually did tell me to use the Act mouthwash and I'm using the Crest already so hopefully if I get some Xylitol also I can heal most of them. There is one that has to be filled but maybe the others will heal on their own.

Katigre
01-09-2013, 02:42 PM
There is a myth that pregnancy leaches calcium from mom's teeth to build the baby's bones. Thats untrue.

But the acidic changes in saliva dieting pregnancy are well-documented. You know how your mouth tasted grosser during pregnancy - like you hadn't brushed in awhile even if you'd recently brushed? That's the acidic change.

One key to her system is not rinsing between steps. So don't rinse with water after brushing or you just rinse the fluoride away. I get the clays rinse on amazon with subscribe and save. And there is a 50% off coupon for epic dental if you Google it. They have great customer service too.

calebsmama03
01-11-2013, 01:26 PM
fyi I did Dr.Ellie's system but without the closys rinse and it did nothing. In fact, my sensitivity was worse and I got an extra cavity and the one I was trying to heal (also pg related) got worse. :( I'm guessing it's an all or nothing system so if you want to try it I would bite the bullet and buy all the steps otherwise you might be worse off. I'm now using Dr. Collins restore paste (uses Novamin - a special form of calcium phosphate - to remineralize teeth) and it's helping with the sensitivity (from gum recession). Good luck. I do think that xylitol helps with mouth pH so still use that occasionally (if I eat something acidic).