PDA

View Full Version : If You Don't Go To Costco (or similar) Where Do You Buy Your Basics

Kindra178
01-09-2013, 03:03 PM
I spend too much money every time I goto Costco. I am not necessarily buying nonsense or random stuff, just stuff that we don't necessarily need. So my goal for 2013 is limit or eliminate Costco trips all told. However, Costco is where I buy paper towels, toilet paper and wipes. Is Amazon price competitive?

indigo99
01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I just joined Costco yesterday and haven't shopped there yet. I always got the basics at the grocery store or Target (wipes and diapers from amazon), but I have that problem (always buying more than you need) in Target.

egoldber
01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Target. I send DH and he doesn't impulse buy. :)

arivecchi
01-09-2013, 03:07 PM
I buy TP and PT from amazon.

ETA: I like costco for the gas and dog food savings. :)

snowbunnies300
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Before Costco I would look at the weekly ads and purchase from whom ever had the best price on paper products. Usually a big box store Fleet Farm, Menards or Walmart/Target. I just now started to go down the isles at Costco for paper products/cleaning supplies. I always figured I could get the stuff cheaper by looking at the ads and stocking up when on sale. I did buy some kleenex and Clorox wipes/toilet cleaner this week as there some pretty good coupons. I got the Kleenex for $1.31 a box so I bought two 10 packs. One was sent to school to resupply teachers and we kept the other.

lizzywednesday
01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
I buy diapers & wipes (er, Pull-Ups) on Amazon with Subscribe & Save and Amazon Mom/Prime.

I buy paper towels, toilet paper, tissues and paper napkins at Target.

Sometimes we buy toilet paper at Staples if they're running a special; sometimes it's better to buy it at the grocery store (ShopRite or Wegman's.)

When we belonged to BJ's, we rarely thought paper towels and toilet paper were great values there.

Additionally, our DD was allergic to all diapers but Huggies, Fisher Price or Earth's Best ... none of which were carried by our local BJ's warehouse at the time we needed them, so Amazon and Diapers.com became our default.

Even if the prices weren't competitive, I would use Subscribe & Save for the convenience, frankly.

AnnieW625
01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Target or Wal Mart, but usually Target. I am good about not over shopping at Costco most of time. It is rare I spend over $250 per visit and that us usually because I am buying gift cards, gifts, stamps or Turbo Tax. I spent $300 there on December during one trip and that was the most I had spent there in a really long time. We limit our Costco trips to about once every 6 weeks, but sometimes once a month.

KpbS
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Target. Walmart usually is cheaper for most everything, I just really don't like going there. Although I do find it hard not to impulse buy in Target so sometimes I'll completely skip the dollar spot for a month or two and the same with kids clothing and seasonal.

mmommy
01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Probably not super helpful, but we use cotton towels instead of PT and cloth wipes instead of disposables. We buy PT mostly from TJs, but I don't generally worry too much about price - this is the only store we drive to. So, I throw it in the cart rather than lugging a big thing of PT home on the train or bus or in the stroller.

ourbabygirl
01-09-2013, 04:31 PM
I buy everything from Target. :) I never go into Wal-mart: Not convenient for me, and I don't like the atmosphere at the one near us. We've had a Costco membership for two years, but I'm letting it expire this month since it's not convenient to go there, either, and I'm too much of an impulse buyer (plus we don't have enough fridge or cupboard space for most of the things there).

wendibird22
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
We buy Wegman's brand napkins and paper towels. Kleenex from walmart or wegmans (kleenex or puffs brand as I hate generic tissues). Pull Ups from amazon.

When DD1 was born we had a BJs membership and got diapers and wipes there. Then Amazon Mom was created and we switched to that for diapers and wipes.

hbridge
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
The local grocery store... We live at least 20 min. from any chain stores and I don't get there more than a few times a year. We get most of what we need between the local grocery store and amazon.

It's probably much more expensive, but with two working adults and other responsibilities, we don't shop much!

schrocat
01-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Before we got Costco membership, CVS and sometimes Target.

SnuggleBuggles
01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Target. I think the prices are comparable.

brittone2
01-09-2013, 05:54 PM
We get TP at Costco (not the best price in my area I think, but I like getting a bunch and having it on hand and not having to think about it), we rarely use paper towels (mostly use cloth napkins and dishtowels). I do buy paper towels from time to time but a roll lasts us a while because I save it for specific uses. We used cloth wipes and dipes, as DS1 was sensitive to all commercial wipes. I didn't plan on using cloth, but kind of had to, and then realized I really liked it. Once I got over the idea of poop in the washer, we jumped into cloth dipes.

jenrub
01-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Target. I think the prices are comparable.

:yeahthat: And it's just around the corner. Yay for lazy me!

hillview
01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Target. Honestly I am thinking of dropping my BJs membership for just Target

daisymommy
01-09-2013, 06:47 PM
If I avoided Target and Costco I would be rich :)

Sent from my iPad

citymama
01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
We have a Costco membership but still buy most basics at Target - it's closer and you don't have to buy in obscene quantities. I buy kids milk cartons for school, diapers, wipes on amazon S&S and many of my toiletries (moisturizer, shampoo) on drugstore.com or at a local natural products store.

BayGirl2
01-09-2013, 06:52 PM
We do go to Costco, but its for a very short list. Other than planned big purchases (ex. outdoor furniture, camera) or the holidays (gifts) I don't do much impulse buying there. I think the key is that we don't buy processed food, so that eliminates most of the tempting things.

We get:
Wipes and shampoo from Amazon S&S
Produce from a weekly CSA
Grains in bulk infrequently (like 4x/year) from Whole Foods
Meat was from a CSA, now going back to Costco
Milk and other dairy from the local grocery store or Target, only to replenish in between trips to Costco

Impulse buys tend to be processed, packaged, unhealthy stuff. We try not to buy that at all.

Nechums
01-09-2013, 07:01 PM
I use amazon for diapers, wipes, toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, etc.

It's probably not the cheapest (although I've never price compared) but it's the easiest thing for me and worth it for the convenience.

Pear
01-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Target
Walmart is across the street and cheaper, but I end up with a headache every time I try to do my shopping there.