PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Instant Video + Ipad + HDMI AV HDTV Adapter Cable does not = what u think:(

jellibeans
01-09-2013, 09:30 PM
I finally got around to ordering the hdmi cable thinking that we could hook the ipad(3) to our tv. Well, the Amazon Instant video app isn't supported with it! Grrrr!

Snow mom
01-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Does the ipad have an HDMI output? I tried connecting it to our TV through the USB but that doesn't work either. We stream from our computer to TV through HDMI. It works fine but since my computer is the only one with HDMI out it sucks when I want to do real work and watch something in the background.

NCGrandma
01-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Looks like Apple sells an adapter to connect the iPad to an HDMI cable. (Reviews on Apple's own website are mixed.) OP, is this what you tried using?

jellibeans
01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Here is the one I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090Y6II0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

jellibeans
01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
And on my ipad, it said "Airtime and HDMI are not supported by this app."

BayGirl2
01-09-2013, 10:35 PM
FWIW I can stream Amazon instant video to my TV through my DVD player, TiVo, or Xbox. And possibly through an app on my TV. Seems easier that way.

jellibeans
01-09-2013, 10:46 PM
We had been just using the laptop and will just go back to doing that. It just makes me mad that Apple did that...prob because they want you to have to buy their movies instead of streaming the free movies that you can get w Amazon Prime!

wellyes
01-10-2013, 12:01 AM
I can buy anything I want from amazon and watch it on my TiVo but I can't get the free content you get with prime. They official explanation is that when you buy, it's not streaming, it downloads and then you watch it. Streaming is different.

calebsmama03
01-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Can you not watch amazon streaming via the iPad at all, or just when trying to tether it to your TV? We watch amaozn stuff on the iPad all the time, but have never tried to hook it to the TV.

BayGirl2
01-10-2013, 01:26 AM
I can buy anything I want from amazon and watch it on my TiVo but I can't get the free content you get with prime. They official explanation is that when you buy, it's not streaming, it downloads and then you watch it. Streaming is different.

Yeah, I guess that is true, I can't stream the free stuff on Tivo.
I can stream free Prime instant videos through my DVD player though. Its a $100 Sony BluRay from Costco and has an Amazon App. I'm loving it now because I can create a "watch list" on the computer and then pick from it on the TV.

urquie
01-10-2013, 01:37 AM

This is why we bought a roku streaming player, so we can watch amazon instant videos, on our tv. :-D

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-2500R-HD-Streaming-Player/dp/B007KEZMX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357796200&sr=8-1&keywords=Roku

wellyes
01-10-2013, 01:51 AM
This is why we bought a roku streaming player, so we can watch amazon instant videos, on our tv. :-!

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-2500R-HD-Streaming-Player/dp/B007KEZMX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357796200&sr=8-1&keywords=Roku

I just get Netflix instant video instead, same thing.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-10-2013, 02:50 AM
what if I buy and download the instant videos from Amazon? does it work on the iPad that way?

I just bought some kids' tv shows and planned to download them to the iPad and iPod Touch for watching in the car. Will that work? I haven't tried yet but I assumed I would download to my PC, load them into iTunes and download to the iPad and iPod?

turtle12
01-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I guess that is true, I can't stream the free stuff on Tivo.
I can stream free Prime instant videos through my DVD player though. Its a $100 Sony BluRay from Costco and has an Amazon App. I'm loving it now because I can create a "watch list" on the computer and then pick from it on the TV.

Yes, we did this exactly.

wellyes
01-10-2013, 09:25 AM
what if I buy and download the instant videos from Amazon? does it work on the iPad that way?

I just bought some kids' tv shows and planned to download them to the iPad and iPod Touch for watching in the car. Will that work? I haven't tried yet but I assumed I would download to my PC, load them into iTunes and download to the iPad and iPod?
You can watch instant videos on your ipad, you just (apparently) can't make them show up on your TV.