PDA

View Full Version : Developmental weirdness...maybe?

readyforever
01-09-2013, 11:57 PM
I noticed something today and would like to hear some thoughts.
My 3.5 month hadn't started using his hands - no swatting, swiping, grabbing or grasping. He doesn't grasp our fingers when we put them in his hands. He can interlace his fingers and will bring hands/finger to his mouth to suckle but he seems to lack any interest in trying to use arms/hands to interact with objects. I know this happens between 2 and 4 months so I've haven't been to worried. (Big backstory: my oldest has chromosomal deletion which has has caused neurological impairments and, at seven, is still developmentally delayed so I'm just a nervous nellie.)
But today and yesterday, I noticed that he is using his feet and toes very intentionally and very much like hands. He picked up a ball with the toes on one foot and transferred it to the other foot/set of toes. He also grasped several objects between his feet, raised his legs and held them up to study/gaze at the object.
In all other areas, he is is typical - he is laughing, cooing/babbling, tracking and recognizing faces, and attentive to sounds.

Does this seem peculiar to anyone?

TIA

Green22
01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
I would say no, but the fact that he is doing this stuff with his feet gives me pause. Maybe he just doesn't realize his hands can do that too. My kids both hit the "regard the hand" phase at different times IIRC.

I would probably watch it being a nervous Nellie myself, but I would be surprised if it is anything. Every time I get nervous about my kids' development or when they get close to a milestone it seems that they then start doing the behavior and it was a lot of concern for nothing.

Good luck!

LizLemon
01-10-2013, 01:17 AM
No personal experience with this, but I would say since it's still very close to 3 months, probably no reason for undue concern or worry at this point. However, I get stressed out about all this developmental stuff too, so I can understand. Hopefully your 4 month well baby visit is coming up soon so you can check with your pediatrician for your reassurance?

mikala
01-10-2013, 01:25 AM
I don't know much about the developmental aspect of this but it sounds like a unique talent. I'd definitely take a few videos to someday show him all the cool things he did with his feet as a little baby!