PDA

View Full Version : Parenthood fans...question about last week's show

MamaSnoo
01-10-2013, 12:14 AM
So, let me preface, by saying "Of course, I know they are not real; however..."

I just got around to watching last week's show and this week's as well. I am enjoying some of the plot lines this season, particularly the Kristina breast cancer storyline.

But, did anyone else notice that when Kristina was in the hotel bar getting chatted up by the obnoxious guy that she told him she was 34? Haddie has to be about 18ish as a college freshman, which would mean that Kristina was about 16 when she was born. That just does not seem to fit the Adam/Kristina backstory very well (Adam's golden boy image). Plus, if they had been that young, you would think that history might have somehow woven into the plot around Drew this week.

Anyhoo...do you think they just flubbed the numbers on her age, or is there something I am missing?

amldaley
01-10-2013, 12:33 AM
So, let me preface, by saying "Of course, I know they are not real; however..."

I just got around to watching last week's show and this week's as well. I am enjoying some of the plot lines this season, particularly the Kristina breast cancer storyline.

But, did anyone else notice that when Kristina was in the hotel bar getting chatted up by the obnoxious guy that she told him she was 34? Haddie has to be about 18ish as a college freshman, which would mean that Kristina was about 16 when she was born. That just does not seem to fit the Adam/Kristina backstory very well (Adam's golden boy image). Plus, if they had been that young, you would think that history might have somehow woven into the plot around Drew this week.

Anyhoo...do you think they just flubbed the numbers on her age, or is there something I am missing?

I don't know...but now I have go back and watch it again to see!!!!

Tenasparkl
01-10-2013, 12:37 AM
I think she was just having a little fun with the guy. I think they've already established that both Adam and Kristina were in their 40s.

amldaley
01-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Just watched it. I think it was a glitch. She worked after college, before having Haddy, too, so she would have to be 39 at the YOUNGEST.

belovedgandp
01-10-2013, 01:14 AM
I think she was playing with him. Hadn't she just given him a fake name too? Playing the whole thing up, but yes, I noticed too.

amldaley
01-10-2013, 01:16 AM
I think she was playing with him. Hadn't she just given him a fake name too? Playing the whole thing up, but yes, I noticed too.

Yes, at first she says she is 27. But when she admits that Adam is her husband and she has three kids, she tells him she is 34.

BayGirl2
01-10-2013, 01:22 AM
I LOVED that scene, replayed it for DH.

Look at Adam's face when she says 34... he sort of rolls his eyes and laughs. I believe she's 38 or 40ish, can't remember but it came up before I think. She was clearly still sorta lying..."ok, I'm not 28, I'm 34" when she's really 40.

I just think its such a cute scene because she's having fun with him and feeling uber sexy and young.

wellyes
01-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Definitely 40+ and lying.

I just watched this weeks episode. Drew has always been my favorite character, and it just made me cry to see him cry. Twice. What a tough situation to face, especially without a functional parent. I am sad the show has only 2 episodes left.

JustMe
01-10-2013, 01:55 AM
I am sad the show has only 2 episodes left.

Seriously, this is the only show I truly enjoy,

fauve01
01-10-2013, 04:33 AM
. I am sad the show has only 2 episodes left.

2 Episodes, WHAT??!?!?!! how can this be? it's only January! :confused:

Globetrotter
01-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Is it getting cancelled or just this season??

She was just having fun with him - loved the scene.

sunshine873
01-10-2013, 05:20 AM
Definitely 40+ and lying.

I just watched this weeks episode. Drew has always been my favorite character, and it just made me cry to see him cry. Twice. What a tough situation to face, especially without a functional parent. I am sad the show has only 2 episodes left.

I was crying too! This show is just done so well. They don't overplay emotions, they don't over talk things, it just seems so true to life. Definitely quality TV in my book.

Cam&Clay
01-10-2013, 08:10 AM
I noticed that she said 34 as well. She has to be in her 40s. She worked after college and Hattie is at least 18.

I also saw that they said only 2 more episodes. That seems like an awfully short season.

wellyes
01-10-2013, 09:24 AM
2 more episodes and the network has not said if it will renew it yet. It is "on the cusp".

elbenn
01-10-2013, 09:47 AM
She was definitely having fun with the guy--even when she told him that she was 34. You could tell that Adam found that humorous.

glbb35
01-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Funny OP posted this as I always record the show and watch it the next day. I had to go back and watch that scene twice and I know she said 34! There is no way she is 34. Especially when you take into account they have mentioned that she and Adam are the same age and look at the ages of the siblings and their children. I figured she was just playing with the guy again as well or it was a glitch that no one there caught.

Now, other topic, are they really thinking about not renewing this show? It is an awesome show!!! What sort of crap would they replace it with? I hope they do renew it and for a long time. Maybe we all can go on some site out there and demand they keep it. There are so few good shows especially on the network channels.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

momm
01-10-2013, 09:54 AM
2 Episodes, WHAT??!?!?!! how can this be? it's only January! :confused:

:yeahthat: What do you mean???? :( The show's DONE?

daisysmom
01-10-2013, 12:51 PM

YEa this, I thought she was intentionally fibbing about her age, name, hair, etc.

Globetrotter
01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
I will CRY if they cancel this. It's definitely quality TV. Who can we write to to make sure they don't? I guess ratings and money are the deciding factors..

wellyes
01-10-2013, 03:31 PM
So. I like that all the characters are flawed and make poor decisions or act selfishly at times. But, I find myself really starting to despise Julia. I am sure there are reasons to terminate an adoption in progress, but, Victor's acting out seems like completely normal boundary pushing to me. She could do such damage to that poor kid.

Globetrotter
01-10-2013, 03:38 PM
I am sure there are reasons to terminate an adoption in progress, but, Victor's acting out seems like completely normal boundary pushing to me. She could do such damage to that poor kid.

But I think that's what makes it real, the fact that she is questioning their decision. I'm hoping for a good outcome because you are right, it would be awful for that kid.

kmkaull
01-10-2013, 03:56 PM
But I think that's what makes it real, the fact that she is questioning their decision. I'm hoping for a good outcome because you are right, it would be awful for that kid.

I think this adoption story has been so well done. This is tough stuff, and Victor is one angry little boy. Obviously the whole family needs some good counseling.

I always enjoy Max, but this puberty storyline had me dying. Hysterical and so dead on.

Great show. I will be sick if it is canceled.

Globetrotter
01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Loved the puberty storyline, also - so funny :)

Julia is a perfectionist (note how she corrected his grammar after he told her about the A grade in math). I think, for someone like her, it has to be especially difficult when things don't live up to expectations. Of course that boy has major baggage! I can't blame him at all.

brittone2
01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Yeah, before the season started I remember reading that they were going to go delve into the challenges of adoption. Julia likes to micromanage a lot of things and kind of meets her match with being able to "manage" this situation.

So often in the media things are painted like there is this easy, perfect transition and everyone is glowingly happy through the whole process...everyone is bonded instantly, etc. I think it is good they are trying to show that there can be raw emotions, tough transitions, etc. Even agencies have been criticized for not always doing enough to prepare families for the challenges that can come with adopting an older child, or not always providing enough support once the child is in the home.

I think it is good they are tackling it as a situation that can present challenges to the entire family. In their case, they have the birth order thing thrown in there, etc. too.

wellyes
01-10-2013, 04:30 PM
It just hurts me to watch that story. Crosby is a jerk, his MIL is a jerk too, fine. Kristina can't deal with the most elementary basics of boy puberty, Adam is blind to the "maybe there's another reason I don't like girls" signals blaring off off his kid, fine. They're all flawed and that's part of why it's so engrossing. But, you just don't mess around with someone in a terribly vulnerable position like Victor. She really put her family, and everyone else, through the ringer with that "I'll just adopt the coffee girl's baby" story too.

I guess I just don't like her.

Kindra178
01-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I didn't see this week's episode yet, but I love the Victor storyline. Prior to Victor, Julia had apparent control over her life. She worked full time as the sole breadwinner with one child. Her dh was unemployed so she never had to worry about childcare coverage, etc. Definitely a challenge to add another child to the mix.

This storyline reminded me of one of ds1's former classmates who lives at a modern day orphanage. He was almost adopted by a local family at age 5 or so. To ease the transition, he spent weekends at this family's home for several months. It turned out that family couldn't meet his numerous needs so they ended up not going through with the adoption. I do believe they were worried about the safely of their older children as well as other issues. It's very sad. Does anyone remember that woman who sent her adopted child on a plane back to Russia?

Reader
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
So. I like that all the characters are flawed and make poor decisions or act selfishly at times. But, I find myself really starting to despise Julia. I am sure there are reasons to terminate an adoption in progress, but, Victor's acting out seems like completely normal boundary pushing to me. She could do such damage to that poor kid.

What I don't understand is why they haven't been getting counseling. They're so clearly over their heads. I also don't understand why they chose to adopt out of birth order, which I thought in general was not advised.

I thought it was just the end of the season in 2 weeks, it better not be canceled.

amldaley
01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
What I don't understand is why they haven't been getting counseling. They're so clearly over their heads. I also don't understand why they chose to adopt out of birth order, which I thought in general was not advised.

I thought it was just the end of the season in 2 weeks, it better not be canceled.

:yeahthat: to counseling but they did not decide in advance to adopt out of birth order. They agreed to take a "sky baby" (as if dropped out of the sky, suddenly available with no notice. In this case, they got a call asking if they still wanted to adopt and Victor was delivered to them.) They had no idea how old he was and agreed to take him on the spot.

brittone2
01-10-2013, 05:24 PM
:yeahthat: to counseling but they did not decide to adopt out of birth order. They agreed to take a "sky baby" (as if dropped out of the sky, suddenly available with no notice. In this case, they got a call asking if they still wanted to adopt and Victor was delivered to them.) They had no idea how old he was and agreed to take him on the spot.

And while the story line has some issues, it was nice that it ended up being an older child vs. an infant (more realistic).

lchang25000
01-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Love this show! It's the only show I watch on tv religiously. I really hope it's not going to be cancelled.

I got the impression that she was just kidding about her age as well.

squimp
01-10-2013, 05:48 PM
It has definitely been hard to watch Julia's family this season. I relate to her so much - it has definitely been hard for me to watch her unravel.

I think Amber and Drew are probably my favorite characters, to me they seem the most wise of everyone on the show, which is clever. I wasn't keen on the Drew storyline this week, I think it's a throwaway, but I do really like his character.

I love this show, it presents so many real life issues you don't often see on TV. Love watching it with DH. I'm not sure if I actually learn anything, but it feels like it.

fedoragirl
01-10-2013, 05:55 PM
I hope they don't cancel it. This is the only show DH and I watch religiously. Nothing else makes DH sit down with me and watch TV. I will be very sad if it's cancelled.

mackmama
01-10-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm fascinated that so many like Drew's character. I find him to be pretty 'blah.'

I like everyone else's character in general EXCEPT Sarah. She drives DH and I nuts. She creates so much drama and sabotages herself left and right. She seems like such a mess, and we'd like the show more without her character (which is a bummer because I love the actress who plays Sarah).

amldaley
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM
It is not being cancelled. NBC just did not order a full season of episodes at the beginning of the season.

ETA: I looked it up and while it has not been renewed yet, the Chief of NBC feels confident it will be. Fingers crossed, friends!

That said, on a totally seperate note, I think what bothers me about the Victor/Julie story line is 1) the lack of counseling. I would have thought that would have been mandatory and 2) I really don't like Sydney. I don't like her character - I think she is annoying and I don't particularly like the actress. I know it is borderline blasphemy to say I don't like one of the characters or actors (or anything about the show) but there it is. I've said it.

fedoragirl
01-10-2013, 07:16 PM
LOL. I also don't like Sydney's character but in the adoption storyline I think she did portray a somewhat true to life scenario about the kid getting pushed aside. I actually like Julia because she has good intentions but she doesn't know how to translate them well into a communicable relationship (like the coffee girl story).
I find Kristina extremely annoying. This season has been better but I get irritated when she starts sobbing at the drop of a hat.

Gracemom
01-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Parenthood is my favorite show. I cry every episode. The one where Christina was sick was heartbreaking. I found this last episode painful to watch. I used to work in adoption, and it's so hard to see the pain Victor and the family are in. I was furious with the way they handled the adoption. It just doesn't happen like that, where a kid gets dropped off at your doorstep. We had training for the family, several pre-placement meetings for the kid and family to get to know each other, and we strongly recommended to not adopt out of birth order. I was relieved to finally see a social worker show up! I know it's not reality and they can't show everything, but it would be good to show the resources that are available to a family who decides to adopt an older child.

wellyes
01-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm fascinated that so many like Drew's character. I find him to be pretty 'blah.'

I like everyone else's character in general EXCEPT Sarah. She drives DH and I nuts. She creates so much drama and sabotages herself left and right. She seems like such a mess, and we'd like the show more without her character (which is a bummer because I love the actress who plays Sarah).

I like Drew because he is such a sensitive soul. He is not hyperarticulate like so many of the family, but you can see his heart is good. But keep getting crushed. His dad who he idolized is a skunk. Amy is his first love, and what a way for that to end. His hopes about Amy were WILDLY unrealistic, but, it was true to his character.

I can't really imagine anyone's favorite character is Sarah. After the wrenching end to this episode, when they went straight to the preview for Sarah's dumb love triangle, I was like, seriously?

I do like what Ray Romano does for the show. I thought he was going to be a dour 3 episode guest star, but, he's really brought something interesting and real. I hope he sticks around.

infocrazy
01-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I do like what Ray Romano does for the show. I thought he was going to be a dour 3 episode guest star, but, he's really brought something interesting and real. I hope he sticks around.

:yeahthat:

I don't like Mark. I just want to fast forward that whole relationship and I dread the triangle coming back. I think he is annoying, but maybe it's because Sarah is so annoying that I can't imagine he'd like her! With Ray Romano he at least calls her on stuff. Ray seems more like an adult relationship than the stuck in high school drama Sarah seems to create.

I do like Julia. I actually relate most to her. Yes, I have some control issues. I think it is realistic for her to think that maybe this isn't working. Outside in, you can see he is testing her, but in the moment (as if she were real!) she feels like she has given up her job, shafted her daughter, and devoted much of her recent life to her son, only to have him seemingly reject her. I don't think for a moment though that she will truly give up on him.

JustMe
01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Very interesting discussion!

I was thrilled when Victor turned out to be an older child (during the episode he was "dropped off"). Unfortunately, I think the lack of preparation Julia and Joel received about what it means to adopt 1) an older child 2) an older child who has been though a lot happens way too often. No, counseling is not always mandatory. I did wonder if they would make it a no-problem (and very unrealistic) transition, but am glad they are showing some issues. Hopefully they will figure out that they need counseling or the worker that was there will recommend it.

I have never liked Sydney's character either, but am liking her a lot more/think she is doing a great job in the role as sister to a newly adopted kid...in fact, I am surprised she is not acting out more.

I'm actually surprised Julia is not doing even worse, given her control issues. I was so jealous when she was able to quit her job to deal with the situation though...although it went a little far on the-far-from-reality side when she actually expected that Joel would also not work.

Although I'm not a fan of Sarah, I am glad to hear I am not the only one who did like Mark or think that was a good combo. He was so innocent, he almost seemed out of it to me. I like Ray Ramono's character a lot better. She can relate to some of his sarcasm, but I think his realism is good for her.

I so hope they don't cancel this show.

maybeebaby08
01-10-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm not a fan of Sarah either, I think she's annoying and I always thought Mark was settling and good do better. I like Ray Romano in the show.

I like the adoption storyline, I like how it was a challenge in the beginning but it seemed like Victor was settling in and things were good, then the real issues come out. I think I would be shaken to the core if the bat incident happened it would make me question if I put my whole family in a situation we didn't know how to handle.

I really like this season, last season wasn't as good I think so I'm glad they stepped in up this season.

Cam&Clay
01-10-2013, 09:38 PM
It just hurts me to watch that story. Crosby is a jerk, his MIL is a jerk too, fine. Kristina can't deal with the most elementary basics of boy puberty, Adam is blind to the "maybe there's another reason I don't like girls" signals blaring off off his kid, fine. They're all flawed and that's part of why it's so engrossing. But, you just don't mess around with someone in a terribly vulnerable position like Victor. She really put her family, and everyone else, through the ringer with that "I'll just adopt the coffee girl's baby" story too.

I guess I just don't like her.

I don't like her either.

icunurse
01-10-2013, 11:17 PM
I really like Kristina and Adam, they play well off each other and seem to get the big picture in the end. Love Max, too.

I think the Julia storyline is pretty good overall, especially considering how Tv usually portrays adoption. I think the little girl is a brat. I understand acting out and eking cheated, but the tone and attitude she gives questioning everything her mother does and then pelting Victor with nonstop questions about his mom and ending within her saying that she doesn't love him because she never sees him? I would be just as ticked at her for saying that as I would at the boy for throwing the bat. Admittedly, I haven't watched every episode of the show, but I am hoping that he can have some contact with his Mom, even if just a call or something (much like open adoption).