PDA

View Full Version : Flu shot question

amatahrain
01-10-2013, 12:33 AM
I procrastinated and didn't get my flu shot this year which means DD and DH didn't get the shot either. I read that the most common strain this year is H3N2. How do I know if the current shot available protects against this strain? I'm thinking about having us go to our local pharmacy tomorrow and getting the shot. Is it too late? We do not have any symptoms. Also thought I'd add that I had my spleen removed when I was 10 which means I am extra susceptible to getting sick. I'm kicking myself extra hard for failing to get this done.

Tenasparkl
01-10-2013, 12:35 AM
I procrastinated and didn't get my flu shot this year which means DD and DH didn't get the shot either. I read that the most common strain this year is H3N2. How do I know if the current shot available protects against this strain? I'm thinking about having us go to our local pharmacy tomorrow and getting the shot. Is it too late? We do not have any symptoms. Also thought I'd add that I had my spleen removed when I was 10 which means I am extra susceptible to getting sick. I'm kicking myself extra hard for failing to get this done.

I got one yesterday at a pharmacy and they had one left after mine. My husband went to a different pharmacy and they only had 3 left. If you want one I think it would be worth doing ASAP.

amatahrain
01-10-2013, 12:39 AM
Do you know if there is a way to tell which strain it protects against?

I am going to call around in the morning and try to get one.

FSUMama
01-10-2013, 12:45 AM
I just read a NY Times article that said it can take up to two weeks after a shot to build immunity but they still recommend getting one this year. Also said:

"Flu shots and nasal mists contain vaccines against three strains, the H3N2, the H1N1 and a B. Thus far this season, Dr. Bresee said, H1N1 cases have been rare, and the H3N2 component has been a good match against almost all the confirmed H3N2 samples the agency has tested.

About a fifth of all flus this year thus far are from B strains. That part of the vaccine is a good match only 70 percent of the time, because two B’s are circulating."

http://nyti.ms/UXBc9N

amatahrain
01-10-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the info I will call in the morning and try to get vaccinated. Hubby and DD are truly awful when they are sick.

TwinFoxes
01-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Another possible option may be your peds office. Ours does adult flu vaxes, mist and shot.