PDA

View Full Version : Next show to watch on Amazon Streaming

niccig
01-10-2013, 01:09 AM
I just finished Downton Abbey and I'm all caught up. What should I watch next? Thanks.

readyforever
01-10-2013, 01:21 AM
Battlestar Galactica
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead

All are somber and dark shows but quite addictive and entertaining

ETA:
Sherlock
Arrested Development

wellyes
01-10-2013, 01:49 AM
Fo they have the new Upstairs Downstairs? (Netflix does). I hear it is excellent.

brittone2
01-10-2013, 07:56 AM
We watched Sherlock a few weeks ago
Just finished Luther (very dark but I like Idris Elba. Season 1 is free w/ Prime but we paid for Season 2. Seasons are short and I think it was only $5 for season 2)
We are watching season 1 of Arrested Development
When DH travels, I watch the Tudors.
I am interested in these BBC shows but haven't watched them yet: London Hospital, Cranford, Bleak House, and Emma

We caught one episode of Upstairs Downstairs but I fell asleep, and don't remember any of it. I need to retry it.

Breaking Bad is good but I think we have paid for episodes of that; I don't think it is free.

nicepersonfl
01-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Dr Who!

lil_acorn
01-10-2013, 09:42 AM
breaking bad
mad men

anonomom
01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Go old school, rewatch The West Wing. That's what I'm doing when I have free moments these days...

elbenn
01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Sherlock is great. So is Whitechapel--it reminded me a lot of Sherlock.
If you haven't seen Mad Men, then definitely that!

Twoboos
01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Breaking Bad. Definitely. Not a happy show, but so SO good.

Mad Men
Battlestar Galactica
Arrested Development for a laugh
The Good Wife (I want to start this one)

wellyes
01-10-2013, 09:58 AM
I *loved* Bleak House. It's one of those Dickens novels that no one read, but has a really great story. Gillian Anderson has a big part. I think it's only about 8 hours long.

egoldber
01-10-2013, 10:02 AM
I read Bleak House and it really was very good. :) One of my fav Dickens novels although I would never have read it except for a class. I'll have to add Bleak House to my Netflix queue.

I am watching an older show now, Monarch of the Glen.

Merlin
Being Human

pastrygirl
01-10-2013, 10:21 AM
We're watching Fringe. I wasn't sure with the first episode, but now I'm hooked and we watch 2-3 episodes a night.

elbenn
01-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I *loved* Bleak House. It's one of those Dickens novels that no one read, but has a really great story. Gillian Anderson has a big part. I think it's only about 8 hours long.

I loved Bleak House. Also, since OP liked Downton Abbey, then I highly recommend the Foryste Saga. It is just as well done as Downton Abbey, but never caught on in the way Downton Abbey has.

mommylamb
01-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Another vote for Sherlock!

queenmama
01-10-2013, 02:25 PM
A lot of our favorites have been mentioned, so I'll add a new one:

Jericho

It only lasted two seasons, and the second was super short (8 episodes, maybe) so it'll be quick to get through. And it is excellent. Great characters.

Lara

niccig
01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks all. I'll try bleak house, Sherlock, Foryste Saga. I like I can get my BBC fix on Amazon streaming without DH complaining. I say he's jaded from all the movies he works on. There has to be fast action every 30 seconds or he finds it a snooze fest.

niccig
01-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Fo they have the new Upstairs Downstairs? (Netflix does). I hear it is excellent.

I watched the first episode last night and couldn't get into it at all. I might try another episode. I remember watching reruns of the first when I was a kid, so I may try that too.

niccig
01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Dr Who!

I can not get into the new Dr. Who. I watched as kid and Dr. Who for me is either Tom Baker or Peter Davison. DH watches the new Dr. Who and he tells me I should really try as he's sure I would like it. Maybe if I started from the beginning of these new episodes it would help.

chottumommy
01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Forsyte Saga and North and South.

fedoragirl
01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Another vote for Forsyte Saga. And Cranford is excellent. I am British period drama addict.

DietCokeLover
01-10-2013, 06:05 PM
I watched The Tudors and it was very good.

fedoragirl
01-10-2013, 06:10 PM
I watched The Tudors and it was very good.

I would like to watch it and I did watch one episode but it seemed to soap-opera-ish to me. I obviously can't determine that from one episode but I'd like your opinions. I really need to feed my British period addiction. :D

niccig
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm a period drama person myself. So I'll add all your suggestions to my list. I actually have the Tudors season 2 on DVD my sister gave me, but I've never watched season 1.

I've heard mention of a watch list on Amazon, I'll have to work out how to set that up.

elbenn
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
I would like to watch it and I did watch one episode but it seemed to soap-opera-ish to me. I obviously can't determine that from one episode but I'd like your opinions. I really need to feed my British period addiction. :D

This is exactly how I feel. I tried one episode and am wondering if it gets better.

ett
01-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Forsyte Saga and North and South.

Love both of these!

wellyes
01-10-2013, 08:19 PM

I have to say, I can't think of a soapier show than Downton Abbey. Sumptuously filmed, beautifully acted, but still. I've only seen Season 1, though.

nicepersonfl
01-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I can not get into the new Dr. Who. I watched as kid and Dr. Who for me is either Tom Baker or Peter Davison. DH watches the new Dr. Who and he tells me I should really try as he's sure I would like it. Maybe if I started from the beginning of these new episodes it would help.

I watched the old Dr Who as a kid to...and it took me a couple of episodes to really get into it...gets better and better!

zukeypur
01-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Is The Big C on amazon? We watched it when we had showtime and really liked it.

DietCokeLover
01-10-2013, 11:06 PM

It is a bit soapy, but it totally roped me in! I found the history of it so intriguing and it really brought it all to life for me.

annex
01-11-2013, 12:12 AM
It's completely ridiculous at times, but the BBC Robin Hood series from 2007 is a fun watch. The 1st two seasons more so than the 3rd, though. (esp. if you also happen to have a thing for men in tight pants with some facial scruff.)

amatahrain
01-11-2013, 03:34 AM
North & South, Bleakhouse and Cranford are a few of my favorites. I also liked Lark rise to Candleford.

liz
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
DH and I just started watching "Vera" on amazon prime. Modern day British mystery- something like you would find on Materpiece Mystery. Each episode is an 1 1/2 hours long and there are currently 2 seasons.

We will be watching the 3rd episode of Vera tonight while Tivo records the Golden Globes with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler- can't wait to see that!

larig
01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
If you like mysteries, inspector Lewis. (I assume it's on amazon--it's on Netflix if not).

urquie
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Tons of great ideas. The one I see missing, and love, is Agatha Christie's Poirot.