PDA

View Full Version : S/O prime video streaming via Apple

Globetrotter
01-10-2013, 03:45 AM
I am really annoyed with myself because I got a free prime trial and.. you guessed it.. I forgot to cancel it in time :(

So now I figure I may as well take advantage of it. I tried watching a recent episode of parenthood but it didn't work out on my macbook. Does it take a long time to load? I was also hoping to hook it up to a TV - any BTDT advice? I have a macbook and ipad..

brittone2
01-10-2013, 07:47 AM
It doesn't take long to load on my MacBook Pro (several years old-probably 4 years old?)

We do have a consistent problem with it getting stuck and having to load for a bit 3/4 of the way through most Prime shows we stream at night. My ISP supposedly throttles people sometimes in the evening, so it could be that. It is frustrating but usually we can fix it by just backing up a 2-3 mins and then playing again, and it plays through. Usually.

We stream through an HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV.

eta: don't they prorate prime? I remember when they switched to the "add on" thing, a lot of us were bracing ourselves for what that would mean. I believe you can cancel at any time...I *think* they might prorate it? Hopefully someone else can confirm. I just thought I'd mention that in case you really don't want to continue with Prime.

edited again to add: not sure on the prorating after reading their cancellation policy. I swear when they made the changes w/ the add on program I got an email saying I could cancel at anytime if I wasn't happy about it, and for some reason I thought they would prorate.

jgenie
01-10-2013, 09:31 AM
I believe if you haven't ordered anything using Prime yet they will refund the cost of Prime.

mommylamb
01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I think you can also just cancel prime and they will prorate you back a refund if you really don't want it.

Globetrotter
01-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I tried to cancel it but it said I can't :(. I will contact customer service. Thx brittone2.

mmommy
01-10-2013, 03:03 PM
We watch with a MacBook connected to our TV via HDMI. We haven't had any problems at all with lags, so this makes me think it may be your ISP? Do you stream from any other sites/have lag problems with other sites?

brittone2
01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
We watch with a MacBook connected to our TV via HDMI. We haven't had any problems at all with lags, so this makes me think it may be your ISP? Do you stream from any other sites/have lag problems with other sites?
Not to butt in, but that's something I keep wondering...I've heard my ISP supposedly throttles in the evening with all of the traffic, but we never seem to have issues with streaming Hulu. With Amazon, we nearly always have things get stuck for a few seconds to a minute, or have to back up 2-3 mins and replay through those. Not a huge deal, but an inconvenience. It nearly always happens 3/4 of the way through a show too...to the point that when it happens, DH and I will joke that we must be at the 3/4 point, and when we check the little progress bar that shows how far along we are, it nearly always happens 3/4 through a show. Anyone else have that happen?

Globetrotter
01-10-2013, 04:01 PM
:cheerleader1: BBB comes through again!

I contacted CS and they gave me a prorated refund!! It's been exactly one month but I got back $79. I thought that was the whole amount, but sounds good to me!

Thanks for the advice.

jgenie
01-10-2013, 05:55 PM
:cheerleader1: BBB comes through again!

I contacted CS and they gave me a prorated refund!! It's been exactly one month but I got back $79. I thought that was the whole amount, but sounds good to me!

Thanks for the advice.

Glad it worked out That's a lot of money to get stuck paying.