PDA

View Full Version : Question about returning to work (salary)

momm
01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
EDIT
Posted a new thread with a poll added here
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=451003
(http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=451003)respond to this one please!

Thanks!

If anyone has returned to work after a break, did you hold out for the same amount of salary, or more, or accept a less salary than you were making before?

How long were you out of work?

Just trying to get a gauge of what to expect. I've taken a two year break and wondering whether to ask for what I was making before, or more (as you would normally when looking for a new job)

Any experiences? Thanks!

egoldber
01-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Are you looking in the exact same field? After only 2 years I would try to find something at your old salary if you feel you were being paid competitively.

I went back after 8 years, into the same field but a very different sector. I took a very significant cut in pay, but I was also going into the government vs. the private sector. I also went back at a much lower level. I was previously a senior manager and came back more at a senior technical level. I also think that in all fairness I was being overpaid for what I did.

minnie-zb
01-10-2013, 09:58 AM
I went back after 5 years of being a SAHM. I was really luck and was approached by a colleague who needed someone with my skills. I was not looking for a job. I went back making more than when I left, but I think that was more due to the fact they knew I could do the job and would require limited training.

Good luck -- put the word out with everyone you know and use linkedin.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-10-2013, 10:30 AM
i just returned to fulltime work after a 4 year break. im in engineering, very male dominated so it is harder to take years off and keep up with current technology. nevertheless i asked for a 15% higher salary thsn my previous job...and i got it. :)to be fair i think i was underpaid at my old job.

westwoodmom04
01-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I took less in salary, but moved from private sector to government. However, I was and remaining willing to take less in salary for more flexibility in schedule, and shorter hours.

twowhat?
01-10-2013, 10:52 AM
I went back to my old company (same field) and asked for a 12% increase over what I was making before, and a higher level position, and got it. Also to be fair, I was definitely underpaid there...part of the reason I started looking for a new job.

hillview
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
in 2001 I was out of work by choice (I took a package and cashed in some options and spent the money and traveled to Africa etc -- so it was by choice). That said I came back a little over a year later and took a lower paying job. It took me about 3 years to catch up on the salary. A lot of that was timing. Finding a job after 9/11 was very hard. I started to work again in Jan 2002.