PDA

View Full Version : Bacterial Pneumonia

arivecchi
01-10-2013, 11:40 AM
In the last two weeks, I have learned of three young aduts who died of BP within days of feeling "flu-like symptoms" - which is terrifying. How do docs know whether someone needs immediate attention vs. just staying at home and resting if you have flu like symptoms? Anyone know more about BP?

carolinamama
01-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Bacterial pneumonia isn't any different from what you typically think of pneumonia. Different bacteria can cause pneumonia, some worse than others. Some of the adults may or may not have had an underlying pulmonary problem, even undiagnosed. I think you have to look at the symptoms - any shortness of breath or feeling that is is difficult to get your breath needs to get help immediately. But it can come on so quickly sometimes. The sound of lungs and O2 saturations help decide. As a patient, sometimes you have to get pushy too if you are feeling particularly worried. I agree, it can be scary.

daisysmom
01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
The guy that cuts my hair died of this 2 winters ago. I remember saying to my doctor "I didn't think that young healthy people died of pneumonia" and she really went on a rampage correcting me that this is not the case and that perfectly healthy people die of pneumonia every year.

The nightly news (and the Today show) the last few days have really gotten me very nervous about this flu this winter. While we all have gotten flu shots, we all have cold/coughs right now that are lingering. I was totally illinformed and thought that the flu shot was close to 100% effective against last year's strains (but knew that new strains were not protected against). I believe I have heard that the flu shot is only 60% effective against last year's strains (and obviously, new strains are not protected against at all).

I got bacterial meningitis 7 years ago, and by the time I had crossed the line into being critically ill, I was so out of it that I was not my own advocate at all. When we saw a dr one day, he thought it was probably the flu and gave us tamiflu. The next day I was still home from work, no better, and my DH was busy on a deal at work so (as typical for deal lawyer husbands, those of us that have them) pretty out of touch at home. The guy who was doing contract work at our house called my DH the next morning at work and said to come home. I still thank that guy for basically saving me (he is a very close friend too). My DH came home in about 15 minutes and we drove to the local ER, and I was in ICU for 2 weeks.

All of this has shaped me into being kind of a hypochondriac, I think. I insist on going to the doctor (not ER) if I run a fever and same for DH. And for DD too. We must have some frequent flyer status at our doctors, we call and go often. I don't mind paying though, and I would rather be safe than sorry. So that's the only way I know to see when something has really progressed - I go to the doctor. Somehow a regular cold just feels different. But once a cough is persistent and you have that really run-down dismal feeling, it is time for a drs. visit IMO.

citymama
01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
That is awful about the deaths. We don't have a TV and I hadn't heard about the severity of flu this year. I guess it's best to be extra cautious this year in case of routine illnesses.

DD2 had pneumonia last year and it was scary. Her breathing was so shallow and rapid.

Kindra178
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
I've had pneumonia three times, twice in college. For me, the difference was the shortness of breath coupled with aching lungs. As an asthmatic, I often cough and wheeze when I have a bad cold, but this aching lung component was decidedly different. Antibiotics cured me.

Regarding this year's flu vax, the strain that is most prevalent right now is covered by the current vax.

vonfirmath
01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Bacterial pneumonia isn't any different from what you typically think of pneumonia. Different bacteria can cause pneumonia, some worse than others. Some of the adults may or may not have had an underlying pulmonary problem, even undiagnosed. I think you have to look at the symptoms - any shortness of breath or feeling that is is difficult to get your breath needs to get help immediately. But it can come on so quickly sometimes. The sound of lungs and O2 saturations help decide. As a patient, sometimes you have to get pushy too if you are feeling particularly worried. I agree, it can be scary.

I had a friend who died of septic shock from pneumonia that was never identified as such before she showed up at the ER in shock. She had asthma and the theory is that the steroids from her inhaler masked the symptoms.

elektra
01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
The flu news isn't just on TV, it was the front page story on CNN.com over the past 12 hours or so too.
It is really scary because until the past few years, I had not worried one bit about the flu. It was almost just like a bad cold, but now it seems so serious and then this business about pneumonia is really scary I agree. I usually tend towards waiting things out but how are you supposed to know?
It does seem like the shortness of breath might be the differentiator????

Philly Mom
01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I had bacterial pneumonia 4 years ago. I remember having to be in court and sitting outside the courtroom almost unable to breathe. I called my doctor's office and they would not see me until the next day. I was up the entire night unable to sleep because I could not breathe and could not stop coughing. My MD did try to call in a prescription for codine at midnight but I was headed to the MD in the morning. As soon as I walked in and she listended to my lungs, she knew it was pneumonia. She did not even send me for a chest xray. I was very sick for about a week and sounded like death for quite a bit even when I was back in my office.

georgiegirl
01-10-2013, 02:57 PM
I ended up with pneumonia (viral) during that whole H1N1 scare. (It was possibility H1N1, but I had the mist 2.5 weeks before and I refused the testing because it was supposedly painful and my treatment wouldn't change) I had a super high fever (103 after taking ibuprofen), shortness of breath, and low blood pressure. I was in the ICU for 1 night, followed by 3 on the regular floors before being discharged. When I got home, I got winded walking up half a flight of stairs.

They key difference is the shortness of breath/difficulty breathing.

TwinFoxes
01-10-2013, 03:04 PM
I think Brittany Murphy died of pneumonia. It is scary.

Tondi G
01-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Just read this article this morning... the flu shot is covering some but not all and I know of several people who got the flu despite having a flu shot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/health/flu-widespread-leading-a-range-of-winters-ills.html?hp&_r=0

WASH HANDS, WASH HANDS, WASH HANDS!!!!!

LizLemon
01-11-2013, 12:19 AM
The flu news isn't just on TV, it was the front page story on CNN.com over the past 12 hours or so too.
It is really scary because until the past few years, I had not worried one bit about the flu. It was almost just like a bad cold, but now it seems so serious and then this business about pneumonia is really scary I agree. I usually tend towards waiting things out but how are you supposed to know?
It does seem like the shortness of breath might be the differentiator????

Different bacteria can cause pneumonia, some worse than others.
Very true. There are some mild cases of "walking pneumonia" caused by a certain type of bacteria. I had what is called "lobar pneumonia" caused by a species of strep while I was pregnant. I can pinpoint the moment I transitioned from having a sinus infection to having pneumonia. I acutely developed an extremely severe, body-wracking cough and shortness of breath. (I already had severe fever/chills, so that didn't differentiate the two.) I was also coughing up blood, although this only happens with certain types of bacteria.

I would say, especially if someone has had a recent flu infection. Getting worse, particularly with worsening cough and shortness of breath would be reason to seek a quick evaluation. The flu going around this year is scary.

crl
01-11-2013, 12:36 AM
I have had pneumonia a couple of times (and bronchitis a zillion times). Any time it hurts to breathe, I drag myself to the doctor.

Dd had pneumonia last spring and barely missed being admitted to the hospital. It was so scary to feel her (I slept with my hand on her back) struggling to breathe. She got better fast after we switched antibiotics.

Catherine