PDA

View Full Version : More Kindle Questions (From An Experienced Kindle Owner)

Kindra178
01-10-2013, 11:45 AM
My Kindle Keyboard fell in the bathtub last night. Now it works only sort of. I borrowed ds1's Fire for my commute in this morning. I liked reading on it more than I thought I would. Is it true there are no Fires with 3g other than the $499 one? I love the 3g aspect of my Keyboard one, but I cannot justify the price of $499 when I commute on public transportation (where there is a good chance my Kindle could get snatched). How about the Paperwhite? Do people like it?

sarahsthreads
01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Oh no! Have you tried putting the Kindle in a bag of rice? You can sometimes dry electronics out enough to save them by doing this.

I like my Paperwhite very much. DH got it for me as an upgrade to the Kindle Keyboard for my birthday several weeks ago. I really prefer the e-ink reading experience though, to that of reading on a backlit screen (which is what the Fire is, right?) I find that if I read on my laptop or smartphone for an extended period of time my eyes get all dry and blurry. The Paperwhite is a nice compromise with the built-in reading light that illuminates the screen from above - I can still read it in bed, but my eyes don't suffer.

I've never had a 3G Kindle, though. If I'm going to be away from wireless for an extended period - and when you consider how many wifi hotspots exist at this point, that would be difficult - I just pre-load several new books. Honestly, I have so many books I'd re-read on it, too, that even if I didn't do this I wouldn't run out of reading material...

So from the other side (because I've always been curious) what do you use the 3G connection for?

Sarah :)

wendibird22
01-10-2013, 12:33 PM
I have a 2012 touch screen model, no 3G. Don't miss not having 3G.

3isEnough
01-10-2013, 03:37 PM
I cant answer your question, but another option you have is to buy the regular kindle fire (w ads = about $150ish) and use your phone as a hotspot. You can pay an extra fee to your cell phone provider for that or jailbreak your phone.

Pinky
01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I have had my Paperwhite since the day it was released and I LOVE it. I had the Kindle Keyboard before and loved it too... didn't think I could like another one better, but the PW tops it. It took me a while to get used to the touch screen and I will admit I miss the physical buttons on the sides, but that is the only thing I miss. The way it lights the screen is so amazing and easy on the eyes... nothing like reading with the Kindle Fire with its backlit screen. I think my favorite feature about the PW is that it tells you how much time you have left in the chapter or in the book (based on how fast you read).

And I agree with one of the previous posters... the E-ink of a the Kindles (not Fire) is the way to go!