PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of vitamins, remember the FDA lead content study?

div_0305
01-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Here's a link to it:
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/FoodContaminantsAdulteration/Metals/Lead/ucm115941.htm

It's dated now, so I wish they'd update it, but we don't pick vitamins in the mid to high lead content levels. None have dangerous amounts according to them, but I don't trust that. I'm worried about the accumulation issue over time. Based on the findings, we stopped using Rainbow Light Nutristars and Nature's Plus Animal Parade. I was so surprised about Rainbow Light, as I had used their prenatal vites as well, that I called them a couple times to inquire about it, and if they would be doing something about it. They NEVER returned my calls! I know two other persons who called about it, and never received responses.

brittone2
01-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Isn't calcium carbonate one of the things implicated in the lead situation? I suppose maybe you could look for vitamins that don't use calcium carbonate for the calcium content? eta: I used Rainbow Light prenatals during my first two pregnancies I think, but by my third I took a few individual supplements (folic acid, iron in the form of FLoradix because I was low, vitamin D3 because I was low, etc.)

div_0305
01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
I didn't know about that--so will have to look it up. Thanks! The vitamin we currently use for the kids is by Nordic Naturals. I caved on the gummy/candy issue because these vitamins meet most of my other strict criteria (type of Vit A and amount), and not excessive amounts of other stuff. I was desperate to find something DD would take, and after my DS had a taste, he was naturally hooked, so that's all we buy. Expensive, but I think it's based on their quality.