PDA

View Full Version : Cradle cap in 3.5 yo?

elektra
01-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Sort of TMI but DS's scalp has what looks like cradle cap to me. I am guessing it's a combo of the drier weather plus his natural oiliness or something but he had a sort of crusted crud on his scalp! I can scrape some of it off with my nails, and I try to scrub it with a washcloth but it's still there in spots and I think it keeps coming back.
How can I get rid of this? We wash his hair every 3 days or so. He has short, fine hair.

mypa
01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
My 4yo DD still has it. Every few months I do an oil massage or heavy conditioner on her head, let it soak it and comb out. Regular shampoo won't do a thing. I can't believe I'm still doing this after all these years. I don't know what causes it but they do eventually grow out of it.

MizMojoLaveau
01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
It could be scalp fungus ("ringworm") or possibly scalp eczema. After being misdiagnosed as ringworm and going through a 30 day oral medication (scalp fungus is a diff story than regular athletes foot, requires oral meds) DS1 got diagnosed with eczema. We were given a prescription steroid oil that, with use 2-3 times a week, keeps it under control wonderfully. Also were were told to use a "blue" like Selsun Blue shampoo on him twice a week. This regimen worked so well that we only do one or the other once a week now.

The trick is proper diagnosis, since I understand that putting a steriod on a fungus can make it thrive like crazy! So my tip would be to rule out fungus first. Either way limited use of a blue shampoo might help (we were otherwise using Yes to Carrots or CA Baby, so mild shampoos).

MizMojoLaveau
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I should add that we just had one isolated spot about the size of a quarter that grew to the whole back portion of his scalp, so there was no question that the oral antifungal meds were not helping. For the first month though, we were srubbing it off in the shower with a washcloth before we realized it was "something!"

kristac
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
My 3 year old still has it. We have been having luck with using a tiny bit of head and shoulders when we wash his hair and then a fine tooth comb afterwards to get all the crud out.

Melbel
01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
It could be fungal. There are various natural remedies listed in the Wiki which may be worth a try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Cam&Clay
01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
I fought it with DS1 until he was 5 or so. The only thing that worked was to use Selsun Blue until it went away.

marymoo86
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
DD had it and I used jojoba oil and massaged/gently scraped her scalp. We do not do frequent washings as it just seems to aggravate her scalp.

star04
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
DD2 still has it (1.5 yo). She still has a soft spot and is also finicky when I try to get it off, so I usually leave it alone.

KpbS
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
My 8 and 4 yo both still have it. The ped isn't concerned but said she would prescribe some sort of steroid shampoo if I wanted to go that route.