PDA

View Full Version : Indian cooking mamas-kale?

mctlaw
01-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm planning to make Indian tonight and I have a bag of kale I'd like to use up. Is there any preparation remotely Indian I could do? Other veggies I have at my disposal are red peppers, onions, russet potatoes, though I'd like to keep it simple. I have basic Indian spices. Cumin, coriander, cardomum, asefoetida, garam and curry blends.

Thanks mamas!

twowhat?
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
You could totally make kale chips indian-style! Just toss in EVOO with a dash of curry powder or garam masala mixed in! Be sure to salt well when they're crispy and still hot.

LMPC
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I bet you could use the kale as a substitute for spinach in a saag. It wilts very nicely.

twowhat?
01-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I bet you could use the kale as a substitute for spinach in a saag. It wilts very nicely.

That's a good idea!...a friend's mom (Indian) made it with mustard greens once. It was delish. But saag is kind of time-intensive to make, isn't it?

alootikki
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
If I have baby kale, I sometimes roast it (like kale chips), then crush it (very easily by hand) into more of a powder and sprinkle it into chicken curry (easy way to get greens into my picky eaters).

mctlaw
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Hmm love the saag idea, it is big kale. Ate there any shortcut methods to saag?
I already have some things I need oven space for but love the kale chip idea for the future!

twowhat?
01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Hmm love the saag idea, it is big kale. Ate there any shortcut methods to saag?
I already have some things I need oven space for but love the kale chip idea for the future!

I do a spinach dish in a pot on the stove and it hits the spot when I want saag (and doesn't require tomatoes like saag does). I use frozen spinach. In this case (if you are able), chop the kale and stick it in the freezer - freezing will break open those cell walls and help the kale become mushy/tender more quickly.

Basically all I do is fry an onion (sliced) until it's golden. Then I add about 1 tsp of coriander, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp ginger, salt to taste, and a touch of garlic powder, stir to heat up the spices, then add the frozen spinach. Stir to wilt/melt, then cover and keep it at a good simmer, stirring every so often, until it's tender. I could see the simmer taking 30 min for kale. You can add red pepper for heat if you want.

mctlaw
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks twowhat? I can totally handle that!

twowhat?
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Oh and adjust the amounts of the spices down if you don't have that much kale. I use 1 tsp of the coriander and tumeric for a big family-sized bag of frozen spinach. I imagine you will have much less kale. 1 tsp may be too much (it'll taste great but might be gritty!)

div_0305
01-10-2013, 03:03 PM
And potatoes go really well in a saag dish. Pressure cook cut up pieces or boil in micro or on stove, and add to soak up spices in saag. Shall we call this "kaag" since you're using kale ;)? We mix/sub TJ's organic frozen kale a lot for spinach dishes. Garnish with roasted red pepper on top? Call me when it's ready!:D

And start with hot oil and cumin to get the aromas going!

Globetrotter
01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I like it stir fried. It brings out the flavor very nicely. I pop mustard seeds (you don't have them), add asefoetida, then onion, tumeric, salt and stir fry in that. You don't have to have mustard seeds..

mctlaw
01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks all! I may have some mustard seeds, just not positive. Nak so will check in a bit.

baymom
01-10-2013, 03:31 PM
I make saag with kale (about 50-50 ratio with spinach & kale) similar to how Twoboos described. But, I like to use my immersion blender at the very end to give it a more puréed texture. Then, I'll add small potato cubes and/or paneer or firm tofu cubes to it and let it simmer for a while. The paneer or tofu addition makes it a pretty filling dish (though a bit fatty, if you use paneer).