PDA

View Full Version : Any Flu thread yet??

sewarsh
01-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Anyone else officially paranoid about the flu thanks to the media????
Seriously, I'm not one to dwell or get paranoid over, but this time the media has my attention.

I did not get the flu shot for my older 2. My baby got it and guess what, he's really cranky today and has slight fever - i so scared its the dreaded flu!!

Aaahhh!!

Anyways, just recently heard about Elderberry syrup and lozenges. Any other prevention tips anyone wants to share??

JBaxter
01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Other than Jo & her family I know no one who has had the flu. We dont vaccinate ( well my whole extended family doesnt) and I know of no one.

chlobo
01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
I know of tons of people who have been sick with what seems like the flu. However, most of them had the vaccine so go figure.

There was also one lady on my street who got blood poisoning (or so she said) from getting the flu vaccine. Some weird reaction.

mommylamb
01-11-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm not too paranoid about it. We got the vax, and while I know there is still a chance of getting the flu, there really isn't anything else I can do about it other than wash my hands and make sure my kids wash their hands. There's only so much you can control.

I have two close friends who have had the flu go through their families. In both cases, the family members who got the vax didn't get the flu and everyone else did and was miserable. Of course, that's totally anecdotal, and I know that they're saying the vax is only 60% coverage this year, but it makes me glad that we all have gotten our shot/mist.

marymoo86
01-11-2013, 03:56 PM
No flu, no vax for anyone - plenty of vitamin D, vitamin C, bone broth, probiotics and elderberry syrup. Of course handwashing as well. No word of flu from any of the kids at daycare either.

PZMommy
01-11-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm terrified. My 16 month old has severe asthma and lung issues. He was hospitalized four times last year twice for RSV and twice for just regular colds that his little lungs couldn't handle. I am so afraid he is going to get the flu. We all had our shots, and he is on daily steroid meds, but I'm so freaked out still. Both DH and I are teachers and both of my boys go to daycare, as we have no family nearby to help out. I wish I could afford to take a few months of leave and keep my youngest home, but we just can't do that.

KLD313
01-11-2013, 04:11 PM
I vax my kids but I don't get the flu shot for myself or DD. The only thing I worried about is that DS has his 4 mo well check next week and I don't want to walk into that germy medical building. Otherwise, we don't go out much so i think our chances are pretty low.

hellokitty
01-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Basically, it seems like everyone in our area has gotten it. One of the local radio stations texted all of their subscribers recently to tell them to get flu shots. I couldn't help but think, "isn't it a little late for that?" Seriously, our entire city was knocked out. At our elementary school before winter break, one of the classes that normally has about 24 kids, only had 4 kids left in class, since the rest were sick at home with the flu. I think it's kind of late for ppl to freak out. I'm not big into the flu shot, but if you are going to get it, get it BEFORE flu season starts... not after the media freaks you out.

mackmama
01-11-2013, 04:13 PM
I am nervous too. The media coverage has put my flu-anxiety into high gear. DH and DC ended up getting their flu shots last week because of it. I am going to get it, too, but I currently have a cold so am waiting until I'm better before getting it. (I've never gotten the flu vax and am pretty freaked out about getting it.)

mackmama
01-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Basically, it seems like everyone in our area has gotten it. One of the local radio stations texted all of their subscribers recently to tell them to get flu shots. I couldn't help but think, "isn't it a little late for that?" Seriously, our entire city was knocked out. At our elementary school before winter break, one of the classes that normally has about 24 kids, only had 4 kids left in class, since the rest were sick at home with the flu. I think it's kind of late for ppl to freak out. I'm not big into the flu shot, but if you are going to get it, get it BEFORE flu season starts... not after the media freaks you out.

Actually I just read something that said the effectiveness of the vax wears off so that many people who received their flu shots in Oct are less protected now. (I think the article said the ideal time to get it in in Nov - so still obviously a bit late to get it now - but maybe better late than not at all?)

daniele_ut
01-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Only the baby has had the flu shot. I am pretty sure DD had the flu this week but I didn't want to risk bringing the baby to the germ infested doc office to have her tested. She was miserable, had a fever, congestion, aches, fatigue, and cough but it never got so bad that i thought she needed to see the doc. The cough and congestion are lingering but the doc said they could stick around for up to 3 weeks.

The baby had a stomach virus last week and has had a runny nose but no fever or anything else. I'd say the vaccine covered whatever strain DD had.

Momit
01-11-2013, 04:17 PM
We know so many people who have had it. It hit our house too, I think, DS and DH were really sick but didn't get the actual flu test. DS and I usually get the vax, DH does sometimes, but we all skipped it this year. I'm not normally a germophobe but I plan on lots of hand washing, purell etc. for the rest of the winter.

ray7694
01-11-2013, 04:18 PM
I didn't get the flu shot this year and I got the flu. My kids got the shots and didn't get it from me. Once you have had it you may change your mind about the flu shot. I will NEVER not get the shot.

I also think if you can still prevent it by getting a shot why would you chance it????

JMO.

brittone2
01-11-2013, 04:18 PM
We live in a county heavily hit, in a state that is heavily hit. We had something before Christmas that was at least "influenza-like illness." 4 of the 5 of us had fevers, dry cough, some chills. Kids were a bit achy, I was not. Kids had 103 fevers, mine was a bit over 100. It cleared up pretty quickly and each person was really only down and out for a day or two.

After Christmas, all 3 of my kids developed dry coughs. 2 of the 3 had croup (not atypical in my family unfortunately, they are all croup-prone). The youngest needed oral steroids and it was one of the worse bouts of croup my kids have had over the years. All 3 were raspy, all 3 had fevers. DH and I have it, but just scratchy throats and a tiny bit of coughing, no fevers. This thing has been tougher for my kids to shake completely than the pre Christmas illness, but the stuff before Christmas is more influenza-like I'd say than what we have now.

Maybe one of the rounds was flu, maybe not. If it was the first round, that was easier for us to shake than what we have now. Everyone is doing fine, the raspiness and touch of coughing is just hanging on.

Prior to this I have never suspected my kids having flu, and who knows if either of these rounds of illness were flu. I haven't had flu since 2001 (when I did have a flu shot fwiw, not that I think there was any causality), and that was not lab confirmed, but fits the classic symptoms to a tee (complete exhaustion, fever, aches, chills, cough, etc. for days). Neither bout of what we went through before or after Christmas was nothing like that in terms of severity, thankfully. We don't vax for it and never have; I haven't been vaxed for the flu since 2002 or so. If we've had flu in that period of time, it was mild enough to just be brushed off as a bad cold and maybe we hung out at home for a day or two. Not to say that I don't think influenza can't be very serious, but I don't think most healthy people need to panic provided they pay attention to severity and symptoms.

wendibird22
01-11-2013, 04:26 PM
We are all vaxed and I'm still a bit nervous about it. My cousin, his wife, and two kids all had it right before xmas. No one was vaxed. Each was out of work/school for an entire week and at xmas cousin's wife said that was the sickest she's ever felt. DD1s before/after care sitter's youngest son had it right before Thanksgiving. None of them were vaxed and only the son and dad got it. Mom and other 2 boys were fine and DD1 (vaxed) never got sick.

Our county is reporting being hard hit by it but DD1s school, DHs school, and DD2s daycare aren't reporting mass outbreak. I work at a college and school is still out which I think will help students and employees alike.

mommylamb
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Actually I just read something that said the effectiveness of the vax wears off so that many people who received their flu shots in Oct are less protected now. (I think the article said the ideal time to get it in in Nov - so still obviously a bit late to get it now - but maybe better late than not at all?)

Ok, now that freaks me out. both DSs had their vax in August. DS2 had his for the first time, so he had to get the booster, which he got in November. DH and I both got our shots in December, so I'm not worried for us, but I don't like the idea of the effectiveness wearing off for my kids.

Has anyone else read anything similar?

Melaine
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
I didn't get the flu shot this year and I got the flu. My kids got the shots and didn't get it from me. Once you have had it you may change your mind about the flu shot. I will NEVER not get the shot.

I also think if you can still prevent it by getting a shot why would you chance it????

JMO.

We had the flu and it was bad, it really was. But we still won't get the flu shot in the future, it certainly doesn't change our mindset. I think you misunderstand or underestimate the resolve of anti-vaxer's if you really think it would change their opinions on this.

marymoo86
01-11-2013, 04:46 PM
We had the flu and it was bad, it really was. But we still won't get the flu shot in the future, it certainly doesn't change our mindset. I think you misunderstand or underestimate the resolve of anti-vaxer's if you really think it would change their opinions on this.

:yeahthat:

I am much more concerned about neurotoxicity (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22235057) of aluminum.

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Every year it is huge news in the media. I try not to get swept up in it. Ds1 is getting the shot on Monday, ds2 got his last month and dh got one in October. Feel free and laugh at me if I catch the flu. I don't plan to get vaccinated even though I had the flu (confirmed) in 2009. If you're really anxious, just turn off the news. :)

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2013, 04:51 PM

JMO.

It's only a 60% match. Maybe it if was a higher % I would feel like that. Right now, I still don't. The shot doesn't totally prevent against getting it.

fedoragirl
01-11-2013, 04:59 PM
I was just coming to post something about this. We will be visiting from Europe next month and I am not sure whether we should all get flu shots. We'd get them before we arrive so I don't know about different strains of influenza. My mom is freaking out that we haven't had the flu shot. We usually get it but skipped it this year. It's not really stressed as much where we live.
So, should we get the flu shot before coming, get one when we arrive in the U.S., or just forego it and pratice healthy washing habits (which we already do).

amyd
01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
We did not get flu shots and ds8 tested positive for it on Wed. He has had a high fever since Mon. and is just feeling a little bit better today. Besides being afraid for him , he will have missed a week of school ,my dh and I took time off at work(unpaid) and I am worried for my dd6. Next year we will all get the shot .ALTHOUGH..... we know a family that gets the shot every year and they all got Flu (tested positive) this year so ya never know...

icunurse
01-11-2013, 05:08 PM
I am trying to be more vigilant about hand washing and wiping down surfaces. We all had the flu shot, so that is really all you can do besides basic hygiene. The flu shot does eventually start to wear off, but, from what I have read and been told, it is closer to the six month mark. Also, the very old have a lesser benefit from it. As someone who has had the flu and was almost hospitalized for it, I am willing to take the 60% chance of avoiding it. I do not have help with my kids or paid sick days at work, so I need to do what I can to increase the odds that I don't get sick. Also, since you are contagious before you are symptomatic, I am hoping that my patients appreciate my choice, too.

I am more frustrated by the people who insist on coming to visit patients in the hospital, knowing that they are sick, but insist that wearing a mask is appropriate care. Um, how about staying at home? Not even giving a minimal chance of infection to your loved one? Or to me? People are very inconsiderate and that is an understatement.

mackmama
01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Ok, now that freaks me out. both DSs had their vax in August. DS2 had his for the first time, so he had to get the booster, which he got in November. DH and I both got our shots in December, so I'm not worried for us, but I don't like the idea of the effectiveness wearing off for my kids.

Has anyone else read anything similar?

So sorry - did not mean to freak you out at all. I can't find the article - and that is the only time I've ever read that so I doubt it wears off too much.

mommylamb
01-11-2013, 05:12 PM
The flu shot does eventually start to wear off, but, from what I have read and been told, it is closer to the six month mark.

I really wish I had known this when I got DSs their shots back in August! I would have waited until at least October had I known that. We were at the Ped for DS2's 6 month well check and she suggested that we do the flu shot since we were there and DS1, who happened to be with me at the appointment, got the mist. Annoyed with my ped now.

wencit
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
I am actually more afraid of the stomach flu than "regular" flu!

PZMommy
01-11-2013, 05:23 PM
I really wish I had known this when I got DSs their shots back in August! I would have waited until at least October had I known that. We were at the Ped for DS2's 6 month well check and she suggested that we do the flu shot since we were there and DS1, who happened to be with me at the appointment, got the mist. Annoyed with my ped now.

My youngest is on our pedi's priority list for he flu shot. Even then she doesn't give it out until October, so that it will last longer. Last year my DS2 was my hospitals first documented case of RSV in Sept, and then did well until Feb and continued having issues until June, so cold and flu season can go pretty late I think.

minnie-zb
01-11-2013, 05:32 PM
So, should we get the flu shot before coming, get one when we arrive in the U.S., or just forego it and pratice healthy washing habits (which we already do).

The pediatrician told me today it takes 2-3 weeks for the shot to build up in the body and begin working effectively. If you are going to get the shot, you will need to get it before traveling.

endlessheather
01-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I had to get the flu shot this past week in case my clinical sites require it for nursing school. I had a bad reaction to the Intradermal shot (the new one they started doing 2 years ago) and my whole arm swelled up, still have a raised bump and itching. They warned me it might have skin irritation but this was the method the dr. does at my office.....boy they weren't kidding. My DH and kids have not had the flu shot and normally we do not do it. On another note, my parents are in the wellness business so they give flu shots (among other things) to corporations so they get it each year and give me a hard time for not vax'ing. Well, I talked to my mom today and she had the flu ....and she had the shot!!!! I have a nurse friend in CO that also got the flu and said a lot of the nurses had it also..they all have had the shot.

I'm really not sure what to believe about the efficacy of it but I personally am not in a hurry to flu vax my kids :) especially after my reaction to it.

Kindra178
01-11-2013, 06:27 PM

I specifically asked the allergist about this in August when the boys and I got the shot. She explained that the benefits last a year and it only wanes in effectiveness toward the 11th month mark. She showed me a study to support her information.

For those that are concerned with the effectiveness of the shot, this year's version is a good match. As to the the most prevalent h2n3 strain floating around (that's a bad flu, by the way), the vax is a perfect match. As to the less common B strains floating around, it's a 70 percent match.

This info is from the ny times.

Food for thought. In a year where the vax is a good match, 30 people need to get vaxed to prevent one person from getting symptoms. There are so many immuno compromised among us, I wish more people would get the vax.

Kymberley
01-11-2013, 06:32 PM
All 3 of us were vaxed. DH is a pharmacist, he's seen tons of flu cases. He can't keep Tamiflu on the shelves. So far so good here *knocks on wood*. There's also a lot of pneumonia going around this area. Crazy year for illness.

Pinky
01-11-2013, 07:23 PM
DD and I both had influenza A at Christmas and we were both vaccinated in October!

citymama
01-11-2013, 07:59 PM
We all got vaxed but I'm still a nervous Nellie about it.

DD 2 woke up today with a low grade fever and she's now reading 101.5. No other symptoms other than a mildly runny nose. Last year around this time she developed pneumonia so I'm watching carefully. I have asthma and am wheezy already!

mom2binsd
01-11-2013, 08:19 PM
I am an SLP and I work in nursing homes. I get vaxed every fall at work. It is so scary to see how quickly the flu devastates the elderly and those who are already ill.

I was vaxed in Oct.

I am now recovering from the FLU, was diagnosed on Tuesday am with Type A which is very prevalent around here (the midwest). Because I was diagnosed within 24 hours of feeling bad I was given Tamiflu which I have tolerated well. I have been taking Muscinex and Ibuprofen along with Flonase and am feeling much better, I took two days off of work and returned to work and wore gloves and a mask when in direct contact with patients.

I'm not mad that I got the flue despite the vax....it still happens even though I wash my hands dozens of times a day due to my job and at home am pretty vigilant, however, I am pretty rundown due to working everyday/stress of financial issues and XH not cooperating with his share of visitation and leaving me to parent pretty much all the time for the past few months.

fedoragirl
01-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Ok, so I am reading various responses and am still not sure if I should get the flu shot since some of you who got the shot still got the flu. DS just finished with his regular vaccines for year 1. I am hesitant to get the flu shot at this point although we usually have gotten it in the past.

Tondi G
01-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Ok, so I am reading various responses and am still not sure if I should get the flu shot since some of you who got the shot still got the flu. DS just finished with his regular vaccines for year 1. I am hesitant to get the flu shot at this point although we usually have gotten it in the past.

It is your decision. You could all get the flu shot and still contract the flu... or contract a strain that is not covered by the shot. If you decide that you want all of your family to get the flu shot you should do it as soon a possible because it takes several weeks for your body to build up those immunities in response to having had the vaccine.

If you choose not to get the flu shot I would be extra careful about making sure everyone washes hands frequently. Make sure everyone is taking their vitamins ... extra C, D, maybe some Echinacea, Zinc, Elderberry, Oregano Oil. Just extra "immune" boosters.

Good Luck making your decision. Oh and for what it's worth .... no members of my family (aside from my Mom) has had a flu shot.

SkyrMommy
01-11-2013, 08:42 PM
No flu shots for us & DS is still too little, DH had the flu just before Christmas, actually went to the doctor and was tested. And for him to go to the doctor it was pretty bad. Lots of hand eashing and avoiding typical, wicked germy play spots.

On a side note, DD has the stomach bug right now, we're working on keeping liquids down. It's been a long afternoon. Lysol wipes are my friend right now. :shake:

fedoragirl
01-11-2013, 09:58 PM
It is your decision. You could all get the flu shot and still contract the flu... or contract a strain that is not covered by the shot. If you decide that you want all of your family to get the flu shot you should do it as soon a possible because it takes several weeks for your body to build up those immunities in response to having had the vaccine.

If you choose not to get the flu shot I would be extra careful about making sure everyone washes hands frequently. Make sure everyone is taking their vitamins ... extra C, D, maybe some Echinacea, Zinc, Elderberry, Oregano Oil. Just extra "immune" boosters.

Good Luck making your decision. Oh and for what it's worth .... no members of my family (aside from my Mom) has had a flu shot.

Thanks! We are going to call the pediatrician's office on Mon.

amatahrain
01-11-2013, 11:02 PM
DN (niece) that lives with us has a crazy runny nose and fever. DD is getting a runny nose :( DH feels run down.

By the time I decided to get the flu shots (Wednesday) all of the local pharmacy's are sold out. Guess it would have been too late anyway.

kaharris83
01-11-2013, 11:16 PM
We have an 8 week old and I'm terrified he'll get it. We are all vaxed. I'm scared to take him to his 2 month appointment next week and potentially expose him to the flu at the doctor's office.

I thought this was a great article on why a flu shot isn't just to protect yourself but others around you. http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/11/16467506-dont-be-selfish-get-a-flu-shot-and-protect-the-most-vulnerable-bioethicist-says?lite

PZMommy
01-12-2013, 01:49 PM
We have an 8 week old and I'm terrified he'll get it. We are all vaxed. I'm scared to take him to his 2 month appointment next week and potentially expose him to the flu at the doctor's office.

I thought this was a great article on why a flu shot isn't just to protect yourself but others around you. http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/11/16467506-dont-be-selfish-get-a-flu-shot-and-protect-the-most-vulnerable-bioethicist-says?lite

Could you either get a first appointment of the day or else wait outside and have them call you when they are ready? My pedi's office schedules my son as the first appointment or else puts us right in a room once we get there. He has lots of resipartory issues, so it isn't worth taking a chance on him getting sick.

wendibird22
01-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Or peds office only does well children in the morning. Sick kids aren't seen until 1pm or later. Stinks when you have a sick kid to wait half the day for an appt but so fabulous for well visits that the waiting room is germ free (as much as one can be) and you aren't sitting there with sick kids.

squimp
01-12-2013, 02:23 PM
DH actually got a shot for the first time ever, the press had gotten to him. I think it was hearing that the strain this year was really bad. Both of us had the flu last year and I think we would really not like to repeat that experience. DD and I haven't gotten one yet although she usually gets one.

He was also told that it takes 2 weeks to develop immunity.

kaharris83
01-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Could you either get a first appointment of the day or else wait outside and have them call you when they are ready? My pedi's office schedules my son as the first appointment or else puts us right in a room once we get there. He has lots of resipartory issues, so it isn't worth taking a chance on him getting sick.

I was trying to kill 2 birds with one stone and scheduled his appointment right after my postpartum appointment to minimize the number of times we had to go to our health center. I just checked and the first appointment of the day isn't available, but there are other doctors in that office that begin seeing patients before our pedi anyway so even if we got her first appointment there would be others in the waiting room probably. Hoping wearing him in the carrier and covering him with a blanket will keep him protected. Flu season stinks.

kaharris83
01-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Or peds office only does well children in the morning. Sick kids aren't seen until 1pm or later. Stinks when you have a sick kid to wait half the day for an appt but so fabulous for well visits that the waiting room is germ free (as much as one can be) and you aren't sitting there with sick kids.

Oh how I wish this were the case with our office. When we switch insurance and find a new pedi I will for sure look for something like this. I've wished for it many times.

TxCat
01-12-2013, 03:16 PM
DD and I were both vaxed in October, DH was vaxed in November - no flu for us fortunately. Since I work in hospitals, I feel like its my obligation to 1) minimize any chance of getting sick and missing work and 2) minimize any chance of passing the flu on to the patients I work with. DH works in a university and always gets vaccinated as well.

daisysmom
01-12-2013, 04:03 PM
My dd and I just tested positive for the flu this morning at the pediatrician (and urgent care for me). We got the flu vax in nov. it sucks!

tmahanes
01-12-2013, 04:08 PM

Our peds office has two waiting rooms with glass doors..... A sick room and a well room.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

maydaymommy
01-12-2013, 09:12 PM
A close friend is in the hospital with the flu right now.

Last Thursday she went to the dr & got an antibiotic and steroids for a sinus infection and ear infection. She felt a little better, but worse on Monday & her heart was racing. She went back to dr & they thought she was having bad side effects from the steroids. By this Thursday she was still SO sick, pain beyond sinuses & getting chills. I told her she had to call dr back, get another antibiotic. They couldn't see her until Friday & she was short of breath. They planned to do a chest x-ray, but her oxygen levels were low & she was sent right to the hospital. They did tons of tests all afternoon & evening, worried about blood clots and heart problems and scary things. Admitted her & finally confirmed flu around 3am. It was actually a big relief.

She thinks she'll be there for a few more days.

Her DS1 has severe asthma so they were going to put him on Tamiflu.
I had to put off getting my own flu shot a few times, including a week ago when I also had a sinus infection & ear infection. I am scheduled for Monday & I hope I'm not too late! I was with my friend a bunch over the past week & my ds2 and her ds2 are practically attached.

Does anyone know what recovery from flu like that is like after hospitalization? Trying to figure out how to best help her & her dh & kids over the next week.

I wish I could go keep her company or visit in the hospital, but I know that is a terrible idea for me.

daisysmom
01-12-2013, 09:26 PM
I think recovery is so individual- depends on if she had other sicknesses too. I would stay far away from going to visit in the hospital now tho, even if you were vaxed. My dd and I got the flu (diagnosed this morning) and we were vaxed last fall--- and knowing what I have experienced today, I would do anything inmy power not to be around people with contagious flu (like in a hospital setting). This flu is every bit as bad as I feared and heard it would be.

maydaymommy
01-12-2013, 09:34 PM
I think recovery is so individual- depends on if she had other sicknesses too. I would stay far away from going to visit in the hospital now tho, even if you were vaxed. My dd and I got the flu (diagnosed this morning) and we were vaxed last fall--- and knowing what I have experienced today, I would do anything inmy power not to be around people with contagious flu (like in a hospital setting). This flu is every bit as bad as I feared and heard it would be.

Feel better daisymom!
Sending healthy healing p&pt to you and your dd.

georgiegirl
01-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know what recovery from flu like that is like after hospitalization? Trying to figure out how to best help her & her dh & kids over the next week.

I wish I could go keep her company or visit in the hospital, but I know that is a terrible idea for me.

I was hospitalized for pneumonia for 5 days during the whole H1N1 scare, and what really helped me after being home was getting meals. If her kids are healthy, I'm sure she would love for you to watch them so she can nap during the day. I was very run down for a while and didn't have enough energy to grocery shop or prepare meals. You are such a nice friend for offering to help out. Hope she recovers quickly. I know I felt much better after being home a week.

MontrealMum
01-12-2013, 10:30 PM

My very close friend was hospitalized with the flu for 5 days over the winter break. She's home now but still very weak and shaky on her feet. She's afraid to drive because of the unsteadiness. I've been bringing her groceries and supplies, another friend's son has been digging her car out and moving it for the snow removal. Luckily, she does contract work and happened not to be working when she got sick so she's able to take it easy and rebuild her strength. We've also just been checking in to make sure she's OK since she lives alone.

I think that meals/groceries are always a welcome thing when someone is sick and/or recovering. Offering to help with the kids would probably be welcome too.