PDA

View Full Version : How generous is the tooth fairy in your house?

mommylamb
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Just curious. DS1 lost his first tooth yesterday. I had 2 $1 bills in my wallet, so he got $2 from the tooth fairy. How much do you give?

On another note, I am super relieved that it came out because he has "shark teeth" where the permanent teeth have come in behind his two front bottom teeth, but the baby teeth weren't out yet. We have an appointment scheduled for next friday to have the baby teeth pulled if they don't fall out before then. So now, we are 1 down and 1 to go. The remaining front bottom baby tooth is very wobbly, so hopefully it will come out before the dentist pulls it out.

DS1 was so excited this morning when he saw that the tooth fairy came.

And of course, this reminded me of that thread from a week or two ago with those creepy etsy necklaces made with a child's baby teeth. I did save the tooth, but put it in a box in my bedroom. I couldn't bring myself to throw it away, though I suppose I will at some point. But, I certainly will not be making jewelry out of it!

boolady
01-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Well, DD got $5 for her first tooth, because that was all we had in the house. I could have used quarters, but I didn't think of it at the time. For her 2nd tooth, she got $1, and that's what she'll get for the rest.

ETA: DD also had shark teeth, but our dentist didn't want to pull them, so one of them slowly loosened over 5 months and then finally fell out.

wendmatt
01-11-2013, 03:37 PM
$1 coin

AnnieW625
01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
I have given a $1.

mommylamb
01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Well, DD got $5 for her first tooth, because that was all we had in the house. I could have used quarters, but I didn't think of it at the time. For her 2nd tooth, she got $1, and that's what she'll get for the rest.

ETA: DD also had shark teeth, but our dentist didn't want to pull them, so one of them slowly loosened over 5 months and then finally fell out.

Boolady, did her permanent teeth move forward into the right spot? DS1's is of course a little further back than it needs to be, and I'm hoping it migrates forward.

Gena
01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
DS gets $1 per tooth (gold coin).

I did save the tooth, but put it in a box in my bedroom. I couldn't bring myself to throw it away, though I suppose I will at some point.

I save DS's lost teeth or at least the ones we find. More often than not, DS swallows them. I don't worry about that and I certainly don't look for them afterwards. But DS gets upset if we can't find the tooth to leave for the Tooth Fairy. So I get a tooth that I saved and secretly place it where DS can happen to find it so he can put it under his pillow. The Tooth Fairy ends up picking up the same tooth over and over, but it's just easier that way.

boolady
01-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Boolady, did her permanent teeth move forward into the right spot? DS1's is of course a little further back than it needs to be, and I'm hoping it migrates forward.

Yes. It's been pretty weird, actually. The one that took so long to fall out moved forward pretty quickly.

calebsmama03
01-11-2013, 04:09 PM
$1 coin

This. Occasionally there' a "bonus" for extenuating circumstances. First tooth got 2 coins IIRC. 2 teeth in one day got a bonus (3 total coins). I've heard of people giving like $20 AND a "gift". WTH? Crazy.

I save the teeth, as well. No idea how long I'll keep them but they're in boxes in my dresser.

maestramommy
01-11-2013, 04:15 PM
So far, 25 cents. :p

jayali
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
DS gets a silver dollar for his teeth, that we immediately make him put in his 'treasure' jar. We are NOT the norm. Some kids in his class have gotten $20 bucks!

I too save the teeth and my husband makes fun of me. He is right, what the heck am I going to do with them? I can promise they will NOT be hanging around my neck! They are in a box with the 'fairy dust (glitter)' that we sprinkle from the window to his bed. He thinks the tooth fairy pays you for your teeth because she makes fairy dust out of them. Now my biggest fear will be that he will find the glitter, so I keep them all locked in a box in the top of my closet!

Some day I will show him the glitter and the teeth and we can decide, together what to do with them.

Oh, his first tooth is in a silver keepsake that the tooth fairy put his first tooth in and left with the silver dollar. It is on his dresser.

kerridean
01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
$1 mts mts

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2013, 04:38 PM
$1 unless it was lost in a dramatic way (pulled...) or a 1st tooth- those are $5.

Melaine
01-11-2013, 04:48 PM
We did $2 for the first and $1 after except those TWO times i forgot (horrible, awful mommy) and then I may have jumped to $2 out of guilt.

crl
01-11-2013, 05:57 PM
$5 because dh said $1 was too cheap. I still think $1 would have been plenty.

Catherine

megs4413
01-11-2013, 06:00 PM
the time she was a day late (whoops!), she was extra generous and doubled her usual amount, so $2 instead of the normal $1. :)

wencit
01-11-2013, 06:24 PM
$5 for the first tooth, $1 for all the rest. After DS1 got his $5 bill, I made sure to tell him that the Tooth Fairy gives those for first teeth ONLY!

happymomma
01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Our tooth fairy gave DD and DS $20 for the first tooth and now it is $5 for each new tooth. I asked a few friends and that was what was the going rate so I didn't want to give less. But looking at what everyone else's tooth fairy is paying, I think we are overpaying....

DietCokeLover
01-11-2013, 06:35 PM
We do $2 bills.

alexsmommy
01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
First tooth $5, subsequent teeth, $2

ilfaith
01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Last weekend DS2 lost two teeth the same day...he got a roll of dimes.

Our tooth fairy is very inconsistent. She started giving $5 for the first tooth and $1 after...until the regular tooth fairies were out of town and the tooth fairy's mom and dad were taking care of the boys. The grandfairies gave DS1 $5 for the tooth he lost, which upped the ante. Since then the boys might get $1, or a roll of nickels, or some small toy or trinket from the 99 cent store or dollar spot at Target.

123LuckyMom
01-11-2013, 07:23 PM
We're not there yet, but I like the idea of the $1 coin. I can certainly see a special bonus for the first tooth, but $20 seems outrageous! It's a tooth, for goodness sake! Unless it has a gold filling in it, I'm not paying top dollar!!! ;)

baymom
01-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Both my kids got $6 for their first tooth (their age that they lost the tooth) and get $2 per tooth for each of the rest. So far, it's been two $1 bills, but I'd like to go to the bank and get some $2 bills to give as it seems more special.

citymama
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM

DD is almost 7 and has yet to lose a tooth. :rolleyes:

She has two shark teeth growing behind her middle bottom baby teeth. I can't wait for them to fall out. We took her to the dentist last month - an old school, traditionalist who I was sure would recommend pulling the teeth. He said he had seen literally hundreds of shark teeth cases and ten-20 years ago, they pulled them each time. They've concluded that whether pulled or allowed to fall on their own, the adult teeth move into place on their own. They've not observed any greater need for orthodontic work where the teeth weren't pulled. He said if the teeth still haven't fallen in 6 months, come back and let's talk.

My plan is $1 a tooth, with a bonus for the first - maybe $5?

elizabethkott
01-11-2013, 08:11 PM
We did $5 for the first, and I had to do $1 for the next one because DH was out of town, J pulled it out in the bathtub (and freaked poor Stevie out as he sat there, in the tub, bloody mouth and all shouting "it came out when I pulled!!!") and all I had in my wallet was one. single. dollar.
I plan on doing $1 for "regular" teeth and $2 for molars. They are bigger, after all. ;)

speo
01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
We do $5/tooth. I figured $100 total over the course of many years wasn't too big a deal.

hillview
01-11-2013, 08:45 PM
$5 for first tooth and $1 after.

KrisM
01-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Mostly, our tooth fairy leaves small gifts. Little things, like from the $1 spot at Target, or things I've picked up on clearance. Sometimes, a book. If I'm really stuck, $1.

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2013, 09:34 PM
We are CHEAP! Tooth fairy has left different kinds of coins - like 1 nickel, 1 dime, 1 quarter, or even as little as 5 pennies. We've lost 7 teeth already over the course of 2 kids!

galvjen
01-11-2013, 09:51 PM
$3 in $1 coins per tooth,

ZeeBaby
01-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Haven't gotten there get but I like the idea of $5 for the first and $1 after.

jerigirl
01-12-2013, 12:09 AM
$5 for the first and $1 each after. One time $2 because DH forgot to put the money in the pillow. (We told DS that if you lose the tooth late in the day -after dinner- the Tooth Fairy may have to come the next night because her schedule is already full) :)

niccig
01-12-2013, 12:58 AM
$5 for first tooth, $2 for top 2 teeth, $1 for every other tooth.

I was going to do $1 coin but then friends told us they were on vacation and tooth came out and no way to get to bank to get $1 coin. Seemed too much work, so $1 bill it is (and I've even taken it out of DS's piggy bank as didn't have one and knew I could replace it before he found out.)

reneed
01-12-2013, 01:10 AM
We do too much. We gave 20 for the first and 10 each after. BUT, this is because DS saves every penny he gets in his bank and wants us to take him to the bank when his house bank is full so he can put it in his education fund.

roseyloxs
01-12-2013, 01:14 AM
So far, 25 cents. :p

Not there yet but I was only planning on doing a quarter. That's all I got as a kid and was pretty happy about it. The one dollar coin is something to think about though.

HannaAddict
01-12-2013, 01:44 AM
Not there yet but I was only planning on doing a quarter. That's all I got as a kid and was pretty happy about it. The one dollar coin is something to think about though.

But when you were a kid would you have liked getting a penny or nickel? When I was a kid, I could get a candy bar, just barely, with a quarter and now they cost $1. I get the irony of comparing candy bars and lost teeth.

roseyloxs
01-12-2013, 01:46 AM
But when you were a kid would you have liked getting a penny or nickel? When I was a kid, I could get a candy bar just barely with a quarter and now they cost $1. I get the irony of comparing candy bars and lost teeth.

I didn't spend my quarter right away. I was just in awe that my tooth turned into money. Wasn't really concerned with what 25 cents could get me.

MommyAllison
01-12-2013, 01:54 AM
We do $1 coins, though the last one caught us off guard and ended up being a slightly traumatic loss for dd1, so we did two $1 bills for that one. Need to stock up on dollar coins! We do not save the teeth.

readyforever
01-12-2013, 03:07 AM
A toothbrush and a trail of coins from his bed to his window, total depends on what I grab out of DH's coin bucket

blisstwins
01-12-2013, 08:48 AM
We do $25 and a gift and a note from the toothfairy. I was going to do $5, but my MIL was here the first time a child lost a tooth and she added $20 without discussing, so it is hard to go back. My kids keep all if it in a bank and whenever I am low on cash they offer it to me! It is OK...they have a lot of fun with this.

MamaMolly
01-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Lula got a silver dollar for her first tooth, and a couple of coins for the other ones. Once it was a 'golden coin' token from an arcade. She is really happy with what ever it is! :heartbeat:

mommylamb
01-12-2013, 09:09 AM
DD is almost 7 and has yet to lose a tooth. :rolleyes:

She has two shark teeth growing behind her middle bottom baby teeth. I can't wait for them to fall out. We took her to the dentist last month - an old school, traditionalist who I was sure would recommend pulling the teeth. He said he had seen literally hundreds of shark teeth cases and ten-20 years ago, they pulled them each time. They've concluded that whether pulled or allowed to fall on their own, the adult teeth move into place on their own. They've not observed any greater need for orthodontic work where the teeth weren't pulled. He said if the teeth still haven't fallen in 6 months, come back and let's talk.

My plan is $1 a tooth, with a bonus for the first - maybe $5?

Interesting. DS1's dentist said to give it sometime (when I called to ask about it in December) but that if they hadn't fallen out by mid January to come back in to have them pulled. It's amazing how different medical advice is from practitioner to practitioner.

pastrygirl
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
$5 for first tooth, $1 for all others. My 6yo had a shark tooth (second tooth) and after a week, I reminded him about the tooth fairy and he pulled his tooth out right then, LOL. He didn't know about the decrease in $.