PDA

View Full Version : Should I return this monitor?

edurnemk
01-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Would you return something that worked well for months, then malfunctioned, and then mysteriously started working again?

We got the Phillips Avent digital monitor (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AVENT-Basic-Monitor-Technology/dp/B001COIH3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1357936688&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+avent+monitor)for DD. I was pretty happy with it for the first few months, even though IMO the volume, even in it's highest setting - is too low. However about a month ago the receiver unit would start beeping alerting that it lost the signal, if I moved it closer to the nursery it would pick it up again, but it came to a point when it would loose the signal if further than 15-20 feet from the nursery (which meant I couldn't use it in the family room, kitchen and laundry room). As if this wasn't enough after Xmas one day I could hear DD crying, but nothing was coming through the receiver. It happened a couple more times and then I discovered the sensitivity had been reset to the lowest level, no idea how that happened since I never change the settings on the receiver, we only turn it on and off.

Anyhow I got it through Amazon and we're within the return window, so I requested a return label to return it for a refund, and that same day it started working again. It's been fine for over a week now. So do I return it? DD still sleeps in our room, but I worry about it not working in the middle of the night once we move her to the nursery.

If I return it, which one should I get to replace it?

Melaine
01-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Yes, I would. sporadic is not good enough for a baby monitor and they should work through multiple kids.

sunshine873
01-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Definitely return it. It is unreliable and therefore does not do what it was meant to.

edurnemk
01-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Which one would you recommend I get instead?

TwoBees
01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Which one would you recommend I get instead?

Our Philips Avent monitor finally died after 3 years and multiple drops on the floor. We did have a volume/sensitivity problem and had to reset once. In any case, we replaced it with this one (http://www.diapers.com/p/vtech-safe-sound-digital-audio-monitor-1-unit-557632), which we currently REALLY REALLY like (and is less than half the price of the Avent one). I don't think it was around 3 years ago.

(we actually got it from Best Buy where it is less expensive, but there is only 1 review on the website: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Vtech+-+Safe+%26+Sound+Digital+Audio+Baby+Monitoring+Syst em/5710156.p?id=1218684540734&skuId=5710156&st=vtech monitor&cp=1&lp=1)

teo
01-16-2013, 01:33 AM
We have the VTech too (and the Best Buy price is great for it!) We tried out several after the Summer video monitor someone gave as a gift died. The VTech had the best reception in our house. I also really like that it does not hum--it's dead silent except when the kiddo makes noise, and then it kicks into gear.

happymom
01-16-2013, 02:16 AM
I posted in the Target thread that my Target had the Sony Babycall monitors marked down 50% off- and they are great monitors IMO. YMMV about the markdown of course, but that's the monitor I'd recommend even at full price.

edurnemk
01-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Thanks! I'll look into the Sony and Vtech.