PDA

View Full Version : Heel pad pain in 8 y.o. DS - plantar fasciitis or something else?

Mamma2004
01-11-2013, 07:01 PM
UPDATE: Coach's wife is a PT. Yesterday's unscheduled "examination" pointed to Achilles tendonitis, along with the accompanying tightness in DS's calf and hamstring. Ugh!

DS is extremely active and rarely complains of any pain or discomfort. Since Tuesday, though, he says the bottom of his heel hurts. It looks fine but since it still bothers him, I feel the need to investigate. Before carting him off to the doctor, I want to do my due diligence, just to understand what might be happening.

DS is fit, does sports several days per week, jumps rope for fitness (this is not new to his routine, so he is not suddenly on overload). He rotates three different pairs of athletic shoes, so he is always wearing fresh, farly new footwear that seems to fit well and offer good support.

Any ideas from you BTDT parents of young athletes?

megs4413
01-11-2013, 07:06 PM
my DD is in ballet (and is almost 8) and has also been complaining of heel pain. I'm chalking it up to growing issues, but I will watch this thread to see if anyone has other ideas. I've been wondering if it was PF because of all the toe-dancing she has to do...

elektra
01-11-2013, 07:16 PM
I was really active in sports when I was younger and had horrible heel pain when I played soccer. I had to tape my ankles when playing and it was made worse by all the running.
Doctors told me it was something with my achilles tendon, although it wasn't the area where you think of your achilles, it was lower down, like on the back, bottom of my heel.
A strained or sprained achilles I think.
Luckily I did grow out of it and I do think it was party due to just growing. I was about 11 or 12 when it was at its worst.

kwc
01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
In that age group, it's often calcaneal apophysitis or Sever's disease:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/bones/severs_disease.html

elektra
01-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Thanks for that link!
This sounds like exactly what I had when younger. Growth plate plus Achilles issues.
I still have very tight achilles tendons and cannot do a proper squat when weight lifting- my heels come up off the ground.

I did grow out of the pain though OP, and went on to continue in sports. The taping of my feet did help too.

I am not sure what else you can really do though.

7pages
01-12-2013, 11:54 AM
My son complained of heal pain as well. We took him to the doctor and they thought they were just "bruised". We bought gel heal cups to insert in his shoes and that took care of the problem. Once they "healed" he stopped wearing them and hasn't had a problem since.
Good luck!

jenmcadams
01-12-2013, 12:16 PM

I was trying to think of this name: 2-3 girls from my DDs soccer teams over the past few years who have gone through huge growth spurts have been diagnosed with this. I think they used heel cup inserts for a few months to alleviate pain, but it eventually just went away.

Mamma2004
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks again to all of you - I hate to see him in pain/discomfort, but it definitely helps to understand what a common ailment this heel pain is, particularly among this age group.
Time for heel cup inserts!!

Mamma2004
01-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for that link!
This sounds like exactly what I had when younger. Growth plate plus Achilles issues.
I still have very tight achilles tendons and cannot do a proper squat when weight lifting- my heels come up off the ground.

I did grow out of the pain though OP, and went on to continue in sports. The taping of my feet did help too.

I am not sure what else you can really do though.

Forgive my ignorance, but how did you tape your feet? I was a gymnast so I grew up with ankle and knee issues. This problem with DS's heel, though, is new to me.
TIA!

LD92599
01-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Sounds like a heel spur that my 9yo had last year in soccer.

elektra
01-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but how did you tape your feet? I was a gymnast so I grew up with ankle and knee issues. This problem with DS's heel, though, is new to me.
TIA!

My dad would basically tape my ankles- just like a standard athletic taping. Modified figure 8 kind of thing. The doctor/trainer/PT they took me too must have suggested it.

Mamma2004
01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Sounds like a heel spur that my 9yo had last year in soccer.

Do you recall a treatment that worked? I hope your 9yo is much better now!

Mamma2004
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Bumping to reveal update. PT looked at DS after practice last night and believes the pain is caused by his Achilles tendon (of course!). Calves and hamstrings of both legs are sooo tight. I know that static stretching is unsafe for cold muscles. How can he stretch a sore area 10x/day without warming up his body? Still pondering this one...

LD92599
01-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Do you recall a treatment that worked? I hope your 9yo is much better now!

Sorry just saw this w/ your update but in any case..treatment was a heel cup and tylenol. He doesn't complain any more!

elektra
01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Bumping to reveal update. PT looked at DS after practice last night and believes the pain is caused by his Achilles tendon (of course!). Calves and hamstrings of both legs are sooo tight. I know that static stretching is unsafe for cold muscles. How can he stretch a sore area 10x/day without warming up his body? Still pondering this one...

Based on what the PT who saw my daughter for her toe walking (she also has very tight achilles tendons and calves, and walks on her toes a lot- it must be genetic as I also had the achilles and heel pain issues as mentioned above) he told us to have her stand on a slanted wedge to try and stretch it out. They also gave us rubber bands and I am supposed to loop in around her foot and have her try and flex her foot as much as she can while I provide resistance.

I have not done it in awhile though :bag: