PDA

View Full Version : Did your kids go to daycare/school after allergy testing?

YouAreTheFocus
01-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Title pretty much says it all. I scheduled DS (3) for his first food allergy appt next month. I picked a 9am time slot, b/c that's best for DH for work. Now I'm wondering, will DS be ok to go to preschool for the rest of the day? Or will he be uncomfortable/itchy/tired from the testing? He will be getting skin tests for nuts & seeds.

I don't have any experience with allergy testing, so I'd appreciate any info you'd like to share. Thanks!

JBaxter
01-11-2013, 08:17 PM
I would not. My oldest was 12 but had welts from reactions all over his arms.

skygoddess
01-11-2013, 08:47 PM
My daughter was crabby, itchy, and uncomfortable after skin testing. We ended up giving her Benadryl at the end of the appointment to help with the itching, and that made her sleepy. I would plan to take the day off from school.

amyd
01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
:yeahthat: my son was 3 when we did it and he was given meds to take the reactions down and was a mess.

YouAreTheFocus
01-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone, I will call back and reschedule for an afternoon appt so we can all come home and crash afterwards!

citymama
01-12-2013, 12:53 AM
No, absolutely wouldn't send to school after.

Are you going to the practice at Alta Bates? Hope all goes well!

MamaMolly
01-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Also, for Lula the test, waiting for results and consultation took well over 3 hours. We packed a DVD player and her favorite movies. We had planned to take her to Build a Bear or the Disney store after the testing but she didn't want to. It was a stressful day.

randomkid
01-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I will call back and reschedule for an afternoon appt so we can all come home and crash afterwards!

Don't go too late. I took DD when she was 6yo. No way she could have gone to school afterward. We were in the office for well over 2 hours, maybe almost 3 and she didn't have any reactions. We did a lot of waiting around. Unfortunately, I didn't know this and wasn't prepared. Fortunately, I had my phone so she played on that. We also did some asthma workup, but that wasn't too long - breathe into a machine, take a breathing treatment, wait a few minutes, breathe into machine again. Most of the time was the allergy testing. Just plan on a long afternoon, Good luck!