PDA

View Full Version : Babysitter help needed!

barkley1
01-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Dc have never had a babysitter that wasn't my MIL. she is absolutely a saint and goes above and beyond with a cheerful heart to help us with all child care needs/wants, when we're sick, date nights, trips, New yrs eve, etc.

She's wonderful, and really the only person I'd feel 100% comfortable with my DC. We need a back up babysitter, though, for several reasons. There might come a time when she's sick or busy, and can't watch the kids when we need someone (although, up until this point she has always cancelled any plans she has if we ask her to babysit), but the main reason is that she lives 25 minutes away, and sometimes we hate to ask her either to make the round trip drive over for something quick we need to go do, or things when we will be out until midnight or so...We don't like her driving back home that late.

This summer, we plan on taking up a new hobby together, and it will be several Friday evenings per month. With all she already does for us, that's just too much to ask of her.

SO, what do I need to know about getting a new babysitter? My main concern here is that dd will let NO ONE hold her except me, DH, and MIL. We have repeatedly attempted going to church, but are called into the nursery every single time bc she has been crying so hard for so long she's gagging :(.

The person I have picked out is a 20 yr old that works at a neighborhood restaurant. She is working on two college degrees, CPR certified, babysits regularly for a family with three children, dating a med student long distance (free on the weekend, yeah!!), and her co workers brag on her a ton whenever we're there to eat. But that's all I know about her.

What should I ask?
How do i Introduce to the kids? Have her come over to play a few times so they can get to know each other? That seems to be the logical thing, but I can just see my Dc, especially Dd, just running after me all over the who,e house the whole time she's there.

Any advice? Thanks so much!

amatahrain
01-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Does she stick to you MIL like glue? Maybe the new babysitter, MIL and DD could have a play date.

georgiegirl
01-11-2013, 10:56 PM
I'd have her come over and play with the kids with you there. Your dd might be better than at church because she's on her own turf and there are no other random kids. My dd was insanely attached to me, and I ended up getting babysitters from preschool/daycare. Our beloved babysitter was DD's daycare/preschool teacher when she was 3, so dd already knew her before she came to babysit. DS did cry the first few times we left him (he was younger), but it really helped him to have his big sister there to comfort him. Now both kids love the babysitter so much.

You are lucky to have an awesome MIL!

Good luck!

barkley1
01-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Thx for the suggestions! Bump for the morning folks :)

123LuckyMom
01-12-2013, 10:30 AM
I know it's a pain to pay someone and not get a break, but I would schedule a few play dates where either you or MIL stay and play with the children and the new babysitter. These should be scheduled close together so the DC don't forget the sitter in between play dates. Let the sitter become a known and trusted person while you are there, and DC can see that you know and trust the person. Once DC will let her hold them and play with them while you are there, start leaving for very brief periods of time. Start with staying in the house, but go to the bathroom, or go upstairs for a minute. There will be crying, and this will not be an indicator of what will happen when you leave the house. This is just to show DC that you leave and come back and trust the new babysitter to care for them. Then try leaving the house for brief periods (up to an hour), and see how it goes. It should work if you give it enough time. Good luck!

westwoodmom04
01-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I would have her over during the day, stay for 15 minutes or so just to break the ice, and then leave. I say this because based on your description, your children will probably just stay with you the whole time, rather then get to know the babysitter.

AnnieW625
01-12-2013, 11:15 AM
:yeahthat: It sounds harsh but with kids who have separation anxiety it is the best method.

TxCat
01-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I would have her over during the day, stay for 15 minutes or so just to break the ice, and then leave. I say this because based on your description, your children will probably just stay with you the whole time, rather then get to know the babysitter.

:yeahthat:

My DD is super clingy and cries bloody murder when we leave her with anyone who isn't the nanny or MIL. But, both my babysitters swear it only lasts for a few minutes and then she gets over it. I also think your DD will do better in her own house than the different turf of church daycare.

HannaAddict
01-12-2013, 04:02 PM
If you stay the whole time, the crying and clinginess will continue. Interview her references so you feel comfortable and show her the house, info list, etc. and leave. She will have more luck getting to know your child and less stress once you are gone. As preschools say, leave quickly and confidently.