PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Security warns users to disable Java

TwinFoxes
01-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Apparently there's a serious security issue in Java software. I don't ever remember Homeland Security issuing a warning like this. Apparently Mac users should be safe because Apple disabled the program. PC users need to take steps though.
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-java-disable-malware-department-oh-homeland-security-20130111,0,6103875.story?fb_ref=fb_widget

jawilli4
01-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Thank you for posting this. I hadn't heard about it until now.

elbenn
01-12-2013, 02:53 PM
I tried to disable but I don't know how. I saw the instructions, but mine doesn't look like that. Under "security" in the java control panel, it just has an option for certificates and there's isn't an option to uncheck "enable". There is a java tab next to the security tab, and there are tabs for user/system and "enable" boxes. I can uncheck the user "enable" box but not the system "enable" box. But then next time I click on it, the user "enable" tab is checked again. Clearly, I'm not a computer whiz. It seems like there should be an easy way to disable this software.

infomama
01-12-2013, 03:13 PM
I had to walk my mom through uninstalling it...she couldn't figure out how to disable it. Thanks for the heads up.

jjordan
01-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I tried to disable but I don't know how. I saw the instructions, but mine doesn't look like that. Under "security" in the java control panel, it just has an option for certificates and there's isn't an option to uncheck "enable". There is a java tab next to the security tab, and there are tabs for user/system and "enable" boxes. I can uncheck the user "enable" box but not the system "enable" box. But then next time I click on it, the user "enable" tab is checked again. Clearly, I'm not a computer whiz. It seems like there should be an easy way to disable this software.

It could be that you don't have the most recent version. Did you try following the instructions for disabling it in the browser that you're using? Or you could go to the Java website and download the most current version, and then disable it.

maestramommy
01-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Good grief, I don't even know if I have it. Will have to ask Dh.

maiaann
01-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Good grief, I don't even know if I have it. Will have to ask Dh.

Yup. Sending the article to my DH now with a big question mark. :p Thanks OP, I think. ;)

annex
01-12-2013, 05:42 PM
I had to download the new version in order to be able to disable it (wanted it disabled in IE). What a silly process.

KrisM
01-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks for posting!

I went to the Java site and it told me I have version 1.6 :)

ellies mom
01-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Here is a nice article on deciding if you need to disable Java and how to go about it (http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2013/0112/Disable-Java-Here-s-how-after-US-agency-warns-of-software-vulnerability.).

Apparently, the problem is with version 7. So if you are lazy about upgrading, like I am, you may be fine. I still had version 6, so I just left it.

If the handy "What Java do I have?" thing on Oracle's page doesn't work (mine didn't), you can go to "control panel", then "Programs" then either "programs and features" (look for Java the version will be listed) or you can choose the Java control panel, and choose "About" to see the version.

TwinFoxes
01-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I wish I could be more help, but I don't have PC...I think most computers have Java though.

maestramommy
01-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Okay, did the search, and apparently I don't even have Java. :p And neither does Dh. lol!

JElaineB
01-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I disabled it on my PC browsers. DH has an iMac so I assume it is ok there, supposed Apple did something to remotely disable it on Macs?!?

ha98ed14
01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
I had to download the new version in order to be able to disable it (wanted it disabled in IE). What a silly process.

Me too! I just unistalled it, but I had to update it before it would let me.

newg
01-12-2013, 09:52 PM
I just checked mine and only had version 6....but as I read the article OP mentions, it says version 7 and earlier.....so I just uninstalled it, figuring I can easily install again when things are figured out.

KrisM
01-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I disabled it on my PC browsers. DH has an iMac so I assume it is ok there, supposed Apple did something to remotely disable it on Macs?!?

I don't have a Mac, but that just seems wrong that Apple can get onto your Mac, in your house, after you've purchased the computer, and disable a program!

TwinFoxes
01-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Just skimming an earlier PC Magazine article, it looks like Java is a favorite of hackers. So even if you have an older version that protects you from this latest, very serious vulnerability, the older versions have other security flaws.
Both McAllister and FireEye recommend against downgrading to an earlier unaffected Java version, since older versions have their own vulnerabilities.
http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/302019-security-warning-disable-java-now

joonbug
01-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks, will have to tell DH too... I just disabled it AND updated to the V10.

ckso
01-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks!!!!