PDA

View Full Version : first signs of the flu?

hillview
01-12-2013, 11:04 AM
If you had the flu what were the first signs? DH is feeling nausous but no other signs. We are about to get on a plane to the Carribean. ARGH

AnnieW625
01-12-2013, 11:12 AM
No idea, but good luck and have a fun trip!

alexsmommy
01-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Ugh, that stinks.

I would guess that's more of a sign of a stomach bug vs flu.

Flu typically doesn't include gastrointestinal symptoms in adults, though DH was nauseous from his severe headache whenever the ibuprofen would wear off.

For me it was cough, chills, fatigue and bodyaches. The cough started the night before and I was exhausted, but the chills and bodyaches seems to start suddenly the next morning.

I did have these bizarre stomach cramps, but no gatrointestinal distress.

vludmilla
01-12-2013, 11:17 AM
nausea is not typical with the ordinary flu, only with swine flu which is not as likely right now, I think.

jenstring95
01-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I have the flu now (well, am getting over it). It started for me with a headache that wouldn't go away with ibuprofen and a run-down feeling. Didn't think too much of it, though, since it started at the end of our Disney World trip. I figured I was just tired from all that. The next day the headache continued and the body aches started. Plus, while we were driving home I had long sleeves and pants, a sweatshirt, a fleece blanket and had the seat warmer on high and I still felt chilled. I think it was in the upper 60's outside, so certainly not frigid. I have not really had any kind of stomach issues. In fact, I cannot even say that I lost my appetite. I will say there is not much that sounds appealing, but I definitely never lost the urge to eat. More like only a few things sounded tolerable (mainly carbs), kind of like it was during pregnancy for me.

I hope your DH is ok and that you have a wonderful trip!

wellyes
01-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Headaches, chills, sore throat, maybe a runny nose.

Wanting to puke = stomach bug.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-12-2013, 11:28 AM
nausea is not typical with the ordinary flu, only with swine flu which is not as likely right now, I think.

while i think what OP's DH has is likely a stomach bug, i am always puzzled when ppl say "nausea/vomiting is not typical with flu in adults." Everytime I have gotten the flu as an adult i have gotten nausea and sometimes vomiting. Maybe i am just sensitive, who knows. Last time I had the flu was in 2008..i had influenza A and was very nauseous for a full day and even puked at some point. It was not one of the first signs though...for me, the first signs were VERY sore throat, horrible congestion...it felt the same as a cold but worse with a fever. The fever/chills was next day, plus nasty head-cold headache. I didn't really get body aches.

but yeah, if i was feeling nausea only my first thought would be tummy bug or food poisoning, not actual flu.

ChristinaLucia
01-12-2013, 12:18 PM
I got the flu last week and it started with nausea and I vomited one time (TMI) before the aches chills etc set in.

First time any of those symptoms occurred with the flu for me. It serves me right because my pet peeve is people who call gastrointestinal illnesses the flu.

wellyes
01-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Well, I am rooting for stomach bug, since -- unpleasant as those are -- they are usually over quickly.
Or, even better, hoping it is a false alarm!

lalasmama
01-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Norovirus is going around right now, and it's a doozy. Still recovering from it myself, and it started on Tuesday! Typical norovirus is nausea, followed by vomitting, and/or diarrhea. There's usually a 1-2 day incubation period after exposure, the the tummy stuff lasts 1-2 days. I got sick starting Tuesday with the nausea, and the lower clean-out happened from Tuesday to Wednesday night. Oh, it was bad. Seriously, crying on the floor in the bathroom, couldn't figure out which way to face the toilet (tmi: never sure if it was coming up and out or down and out), cramps like you wouldn't believe. It was terrible! And now, days after the yucky part ended, I'm still 4 lbs under what I weighed on Monday, and it wears me out just to shower!

Hoping your DH doesn't have it!... And if he does, I'm sorry about how bad your vacation could end up! Fluids, fluids, fluids!

daisysmom
01-12-2013, 03:18 PM
My dd and I just both tested positive for the flu this morning! and we all had our flu shots in November!
First sign for us- we each have had colds this last week with moderate coughing, not what I would call severe at all. 230 am this morning dd woke me up saying her arms and legs hurt and she was much more stuffed up. Fevere was 101 but she spikes a fever with a cold sometimes. At that time I realized my stomach hurt. She didn't say hers did.
This morning she felt warm so we did more tykenole. She had one loose poop but wouldn't have called it diarrhea, and she ate a good breakfast. I did too, and I exercised for 45 minutes and felt subpar but figured it was bc I was up for 2 hours in the middle of the night.
Morning her stomach started hurting and so did mine. We got in to the ped at noon and they tested her for flu and strep and she was positive for both. And I tested positive for flu too.
We are all on tamiflu now. Neither of us have an appetite and both of our stomachs hurt. But no puking and no coughing really. Headaches tho.

Tondi G
01-12-2013, 06:00 PM
If you're headed to the Caribbean I would stop in at a Health food store or whole foods and see if you can pick up some shelf stable probiotics to take along on the trip. If it is a stomach bug you will be happy to have some to take while you are there! I bought this brand to take on a trip.... worked out great for me!

http://www.enzymatictherapy.com/Products/Digestion/Daily-Digestion-Support/04363-Pearls-IC.aspx

Hope it turns out to be nothing and that you all have a great trip!

hellokitty
01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
The flu that hit our household last month started out with a nasty headache that wouldn't go away, then really bad muscle aches, chills, fever (although I was the only one who didn't get a fever, even though I felt like I had one), then sore throat and coughing, and just overall exhaustion. DH had bad nausea too along with his, while all the other symptoms were the same.