PDA

View Full Version : Netflix..is it worth it?

light-castle
01-12-2013, 01:18 PM
We have never tried Netflix. We have a 3 & 8 year old boys. The 8 year old likes the old GI Joe shows. Are they on there?

I would like to watch a few series we don't get on our cable package like Buying Alaska and some National Grographic Explorers.

Is there a list anywhere of what is on Netflix?

Thanks,
jennifer

hellokitty
01-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Yes! It is worth it. Of course, I am biased, since we got rid of cable, netflix is all we have. They DO have GI Joe and I have 3 boys and they also have beyblades, power rangers, transformers, cartoon network stuff, lots of boy shows. We don't get the dvds, just instant view and the price is super cheap for how often we use it and I am sooo glad not to deal with my kids watching commercials anymore and always saying, "I want that!" DH and I really enjoying watching stuff on netflix too, esp tv series. No commercials and you can just keep on watching, each episode! I love it! We stream it off our of PS3, wii and also a media box.

wellyes
01-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Try InstantWatcher.com.

lhafer
01-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Yes! It is worth it. Of course, I am biased, since we got rid of cable, netflix is all we have. They DO have GI Joe and I have 3 boys and they also have beyblades, power rangers, transformers, cartoon network stuff, lots of boy shows. We don't get the dvds, just instant view and the price is super cheap for how often we use it and I am sooo glad not to deal with my kids watching commercials anymore and always saying, "I want that!" DH and I really enjoying watching stuff on netflix too, esp tv series. No commercials and you can just keep on watching, each episode! I love it! We stream it off our of PS3, wii and also a media box.

:yeahthat: I have girls, but there are plenty of programs for my 3 year old and 7 year old.

We have direct tv, but we watch a lit of Netflix, Hulu, and hbo go.

wellyes
01-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes! It is worth it. Of course, I am biased, since we got rid of cable, netflix is all we have.

Try an HD antenna! I get all the networks, PBS, plus a few more, for free. http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2013, 01:39 PM
We cancel Netflix when we run out of things to watch. After a few months to a year, there's new stuff we want and we rejoin. It remembers your que even. Try it. Don't like it? Quit. No biggie.

Jen841
01-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Test it yourself. There are normally free trials floating there.

We are using ours more than ever now, it is nice. My boys enjoy:
Modern Marvel shows
Deniss the Menace old shows
Old PBS type shows
Phineas and Ferb

We enjoy:
Movies
Series of shows (Glee, Downtown Abbey, Big Bang Theory,...)

We stream only via our Wii, our laptop and/or the iPad.

jerigirl
01-12-2013, 02:05 PM
netflix.com will let you browse the selection. Looks like right now there is a free month trial. If you don't like it, cancel before the month is up. DH and I are watching Breaking Bad right now. DS1 LOVES the "How It's Made" series. They are really interesting. While we traveled for Christmas we were able to watch Breaking Bad on the laptop with our account.

ETA: it does look like 2 seasons (70+ episodes) of the old GI Joe shows are on there.

patho521
01-12-2013, 02:09 PM
I love netflix! I've been watching a lot of tv series on it. I'm contemplating getting rid of the dvd service since I really only use it to stream. The streaming options used to be scarce but they have some great tv series on there now. My only complaint is that their streamed movies are lacking but I guess they need to do that to ensure their customers keep the DVD service. Here's a link to a free month of netflix, you can try it and cancel it if you decide it's not worth it

https://signup.netflix.com/?mqso=80033270&gclid=CJW-9pi047QCFQJx4Aod6AsAew

wendibird22
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't love it. Cancelled it after the free trial. DH and i aren't really into many tv series. What we like we already watch on regular tv. I hated the movie selection and found I had way more options via On Demand and Amazon. My girls watch pretty much only Disney Jr and we can get that either on regular tv or Kids OnDemand (free). Just wasn't worth the cost.

elbenn
01-12-2013, 02:31 PM
I totally think it's worth it. I think it's the biggest entertainment bargain out there--so many shows and movies available for $8 a month!

okinawama
01-12-2013, 03:40 PM
It's totally worth it for us! We don't have cable, and our antennae is spotty, so we use it daily for my kids (a show during quiet time and one right before bed) and I often find plenty to watch for me (usually tv shows and documentaries).

hellokitty
01-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Try an HD antenna! I get all the networks, PBS, plus a few more, for free. http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8

I'll have to convince DH. We tried an antenna a few yrs ago and we couldn't get ANYTHING and basic cable will still so expensive, so this is why we went no cable. I love love to be able to get the basic line up, just so I could watch the news and pbs.

Kymberley
01-12-2013, 04:03 PM
We also love it. No cable, antenna is spotty at best, so Netflix is my go to. Love, love, love!

AnnieW625
01-12-2013, 04:20 PM
I have had Netflix pretty consistently since 2005 and I do like it. We have one DVD at a time and the streaming. Sometimes I think about just switching to streaming as I seem to be watching more stuff like tv shows on the iPhone or my computer, but then there are some kid movies like the American Girl movies that are still only available by DVD, and Redbox, or our On Demand is never going to have something a niche as that so I keep the DVD selection as well. We justify the $16 a month because we can't go out to movies for that little money a month.

wellyes
01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
I'll have to convince DH. We tried an antenna a few yrs ago and we couldn't get ANYTHING and basic cable will still so expensive, so this is why we went no cable. I love love to be able to get the basic line up, just so I could watch the news and pbs.

If you have an ipad, another option is to get some apps. ABC, NBC, PBS, the CW, I forget which others all have apps where you can watch the most recent episodes for free. I lost ABC Family when we ditched cable, but I just watched the most recent Bunheads on the 'ABC Family' app (with "limited commercial interruptions").

AnnieW625
01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
If you have an ipad, another option is to get some apps. ABC, NBC, PBS, the CW, I forget which others all have apps where you can watch the most recent episodes for free. I lost ABC Family when we ditched cable, but I just watched the most recent Bunheads on the 'ABC Family' app (with "limited commercial interruptions").

I watch all of those except the ABC Family app, I haven't tried that one yet. Just downloaded NBC to watch Deception. Oh I didn't know PBS had an app. As whn I watched DA Season 2 I just used the browser.

hellokitty
01-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys! I will have to check out apps, I guess I never thought much about it before. I do have to admit though, that when we go to the movie theater, movie previews are now MUCH more interesting, since I've never seen them before, lol.

magnoliaparadise
01-13-2013, 03:48 AM
Netflix has two options (and you can choose both):
1. Streaming (immediate viewing, and you can set up through your computer and Ipad if you want to).
2. The old model in which they send you movies.

I tried both (for free) for one month.
The streaming is easier (I just did it on my computer for now) and immediate, but... I personally found that the movies were pretty sparse and the tv stuff that was there for my kid was good, but I could just as easily have her watch Amazon or cable (Kids on Demand).

The sending movies has a great selection (that you have a cue for). I ended up signing up for that. The problem for me is that it takes about 2-3 days to get your film - ok, not long, but long enough that your kid has forgotten her hungry desire for x movie by the time you get it and also that you can't just pop in a movie-of-choice at the second you want it. I also felt like we went through our initial cue quickly and now I am not sure what to get. I don't really have many movies I want to watch (or rather, I have a million, but I'd rather get other things done around the house) so I am really only doing movies for my kid. And my friends have this service and literally haven't sent their video back in for a year and I can just see myself falling into that, or a shorter version of that, but not send things in, so... I kind of think that I will cancel my service soon... still figuring out whether it is worth it for us.

Melaine
01-13-2013, 04:43 AM

how have I never heard of this??

light-castle
01-13-2013, 10:44 AM
So you pay separately for the movie mailing service and the streaming?

mom2binsd
01-13-2013, 10:50 AM
I just signed up for the free trial so I can watch last seasons scandal tv show and plan to watch downton abbey as I've missed the first two seasons. I signed up on my nexus and need to figure out how to stream using my wii and computer....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

elbenn
01-13-2013, 11:08 AM
So you pay separately for the movie mailing service and the streaming?

Yes, you can sign up for both, or just one or the other. They bill it all together, but you pay a different fee for each service.

TwinFoxes
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
We have the streaming only option, and I like it quite a bit. I get my fill of British period dramas...which almost makes up for Netflix being responsible for my now-encyclopedic knowledge of Blues Clues and Wonder Pets. I just finished watching the original Upstairs Downstairs (the first few episodes are pretty hokey, but stick with it, and you'll see why it's such a classic). Now I'm re-watching the first season of Downton Abbey (yes, I'm also watching the third season, I have a problem!)

speo
01-13-2013, 12:34 PM
We only do the movies and we canceled the streaming when they started charging for it. We love movies and that is our primary reason for Netflix. We also get DVDs of TV shows. We have cable so we don't need it for kids tv. We watch a lot of movies and we want to pick which ones. The selection just wasn't there at all on streaming for the movies. We do two movies at a time. It is such a bargain!