PDA

View Full Version : Help! DS1's teeth. Worried sick. - Tiny update #12

joules
01-13-2013, 03:08 AM
I don't know why it took me so long. But tonight before at bedtime I finally asked DS1 to let me take a close look at his teeth.

The two teeth right next to his top front teeth, there is a divot in each tooth. Like a small round depression. It's not a hole. More like that part of the tooth got pushed down a bit in a neat circle. And it's symmetrical - so the divot part is on the same part of each those two teeth. They are mirror images of each other. Is it a defect in his tooth? They symmetry of it makes me suspect it's a defect. Could it be a cavity? Today the very center of each depression was a tiny bit brown colored. This was AFTER we had brushed his teeth.

And it's very obvious that he needs his teeth cleaned. There is one tooth that looks like I maybe always miss it. But he is sooo shy and scared of new things/people. At his 2 year old checkup, he cried and fought so hard when we had to put him in the scale to weigh him. I can't imagine what he'd be like if some stranger actually wanted him to sit still in a chair and mess around with his teeth!! He will turn 3 in March.

I feel sooooo guilty!! I thought I was doing a good job. He still uses baby toothpaste though. He's not very good at spitting out. He likes sucking on the toothpaste a bit. I don't want him to swallow all that normal flouride toothpaste. I was going to wait until he could reliably spit out everything before switching him. Would swallowing normal toothpaste hurt him? We use an OralB spinning toothbrush on him. He is usually pretty good about letting us brush his teeth. Once in a while he won't let us at all. Maybe once every 2 weeks...if that. Those 2 spots on his teeth, I always kind of noticed that that area had some food or whatever, I would brush it more and move on and not think anything of it. UGH.

And now that I think about it, the brush part of the OralB is pretty big. It's a little hard to maneuver in his mouth.

He doesn't drink fruit juice. And he doesn't eat sugary snacks. There was one time he ate 3 bags of small Halloween M&Ms. And he's probably had less than 10 oreo cookies his whole life and a bag of Pepperidge Farm Chessmen. He likes fruit though and eats a lot of that. Ooops. He likes dried cranberries a lot..so that's really sugary. But we don't give it to him regulary. Lately he really likes the sprinkles they have for the ice cream they have at Souplantation. I tasted it, it's not sugary. He's had it like 3 times total.

LizLemon
01-13-2013, 04:34 AM
Any pain in his teeth? Tenderness (pain when you touch on the indented areas)? I'm not a dentist so I don't know what to make of the areas. Was anything of concern during your son's last dental checkup?

Don't beat yourself up over this. Sounds like you have a done great job with tooth brushing. One thing you might want to check in to is the fluoride content of your water. Particularly if it is low, ask your pediatrician or dentist, if your son should make the switch to toothpaste with fluoride. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of this soon!

MamaMolly
01-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Awwww, don't feel bad! The best thing to do is ask around for recommendations for a pediatric dentist. Ask for one where they let you go back with your kids, one who is child friendly, etc. etc.

My girls have had three dentists. Two were awesome with little kids, one was not...which is why we don't go back there. ;)

A really good pediatric dentist will work WITH your small child to make the appointment as fun and non-scary as possible.

GvilleGirl
01-13-2013, 09:00 AM
we have a great ped dentist who encourages parents who have kids with anxiety just to stop by the office and meet everyone and get can even get stickers. never had to do it with DD, but had a bit more challenge with DS. I' d call some ped dentist and ask how they would approach it. They do suggest fluoride toothpaste, but say to use a little dot. (a sample tube should last almost 6 months)

SkyrMommy
01-13-2013, 09:52 AM
A really good pediatric dentist will work WITH your small child to make the appointment as fun and non-scary as possible.

:yeahthat: Don't beat yourself up about his teeth. It sounds like you're doing the very best you can. Ask around for recommendations and see if they'll do an office visit. I was sure DD wouldn't do well at the dentist, but ours is great with her, so reassuring and calm.

DrSally
01-13-2013, 10:26 AM
:yeahthat: Don't beat yourself up about his teeth. It sounds like you're doing the very best you can. Ask around for recommendations and see if they'll do an office visit. I was sure DD wouldn't do well at the dentist, but ours is great with her, so reassuring and calm.

:yeahthat:

Aalso, it helped us for me to go first ( family dentist), and have the kids sit and watch, and then they were excited to go.

crl
01-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Our dentist recommended xylitol toothpaste for kids who are still swallowing instead of spitting toothpaste. We use this one with dd: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004769M8E/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000YNY9SM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=077AF761Y5M64TEVGA4H

Catherine

brittone2
01-13-2013, 12:04 PM
ds 1 had staining on the back of his upper central incisor as a toddler and it was a cavity. We started using xylitol at that point and he has been cavity free since then (he is almost 9)

DS 2 has a small divot or groove on the front of an upper lateral incisor that stain a a bit brown. Our dentist checked it for me and said it was a little defect in the enamel but not a cavity. He did say to be very on top if it as it would be like 5x more likely to become decayed.

All of that to say get it checked but try not to panic.

eta in terms of food, stickiness is thought to be more of an issue than sweetness. Things like crackers aren't thought of as sweet but can feed the strep mutans bacteria that cause decay...any sticky carb, sweet or not, is particularly bad for teeth. my son had juice about three times ever, etc when he had his cavity. Very frustrating.

Katigre
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
1. Don't beat yourself up!
2. Get Spry xylitol gel as well as some xylitol granules to dissolve in water. You can fight tooth decay with Xylitol.
3. I personally would start using fluoride topically. You can get act bubblegum mouthwash and put one drop on his toothbrush to clean with. That way no worry about swallowing.

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow (http://www.swiftkey.net/flow/)

joules
01-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

Why didn't I do more research about toothpaste earlier??? Just bought the Spry xylitol toothpaste.

And why didn't I take a closer look at his teeth? I always examined after I brushed, but not by fully pulling back his lips. I will make an appointment for the pediatric dentist on Monday.

BabyH
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Abscess, maybe? Gummy things, even gummy vitamins are prime candidates to get stuck in the crevices of toddler teeth. A friend of mine has been through the abscess thing three or four times. Good luck tomorrow!

joules
01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
DH forgot to add DSs to the dental plan. ARGH!!!!

Tondi G
01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
A lot of people don't carry dental insurance. Just let them know you will be paying cash ... maybe they will work with you on the cost.