PDA

View Full Version : When is enough enough w/ sinus infection?

Melaine
01-13-2013, 09:14 AM
I got the flu on Friday Dec. 28. DD2 tested positive that same day so I am sure that is what we all had. I didn't do Tamiflu because I felt nervous about BFing. I still have nasty congestion and a horrible sinus headache that comes and goes. I don't remember ever having nasty congestion for this long so I feel pretty sure that it is a sinus infection. I desperately did NOT want to take an antiobiotic because of DS's poor tummy (he is still BFing) so I had really hoped that I could shake this on my own. I have felt marginally better over the last maybe four days but I seem to have hit another wall and haven't felt like I have improved. If I can tough it out and my body will take care of it, I am willing to do another week or so of this, but at this point, should I give in and go in to the doctor? WWYD? Also how do they diagnose? Wondering if I could get away with going to the Minute Clinic. TIA!

geminimagk
01-13-2013, 09:42 AM
I would definitely do a saline spray. I'm generally healthy and got a horrible sinus infection for the first time last winter. I let it go too long and was in so much pain. The antibiotic was also very harsh and I had terrible diarrhea for 2 weeks. Saline spray is a great way to clear your sinus passages.

Melaine
01-13-2013, 09:50 AM
I would definitely do a saline spray. I'm generally healthy and got a horrible sinus infection for the first time last winter. I let it go too long and was in so much pain. The antibiotic was also very harsh and I had terrible diarrhea for 2 weeks. Saline spray is a great way to clear your sinus passages.

Thanks! have some but have not used so good idea.

okinawama
01-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Over the holidays my husband had a terrible sinus infection that lasted ages. He was put on a heavy duty antibiotic, and by day 5 of the antibiotic he was still not getting any relief ( he still completed the meds of course!). He was pretty desperate so he tried a nety pot ( with water that had been boiled then cooled) and within two days his symptoms improved significantly!

waitingforgrace
01-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Yes go get antibiotics. We got the flu the week before Christmas and I developed a horrible sinus infection. I went to urgent care to get a prescription. Glad I did, it was bad enough that it wouldn't have cleared on its own.

It's always been diagnosed for me by symptoms and then feeling for the pressure and sensitivity in my sinuses.

I've been given either a z pack or high dose amoxicillin to clear it up.

waitingforgrace
01-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Meant to add that depending on how congested you are you may not want to do a sinus rinse. My doc says its a no-no if you're already pretty congested.

Momit
01-13-2013, 10:14 AM
My DH had the same thing. He's on his last day of abx from the Minute Clinic. Obviously it's different because of the BFing issue, but he had been sick for almost a month and it just wasn't going away. He's night and day better since starting the abx.

Kindra178
01-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Definitely treat it. Depending on the length of time you had the sinus infection, you may treated with a longer course of antibiotics.

egoldber
01-13-2013, 10:35 AM
I would try the nasal rinse. Older DD is prone to sinus infections but since we started doing the nasal rinses once she gets very congested, she has not had one sinus infection. The first time we used it, it was fascinating (in a gross, horrifying way.....) to see how much mucous came out. She felt sooooo much better afterwards and all her nasal pressure/pain was pretty much instantly relieved.

We couldn't figure out the neti pot :o , but this one worked very well for her.

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse_isotonic.php

Kindra178
01-13-2013, 11:34 AM
The neil med one is awesome, but make sure you use purified or distilled water, not tap water.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-13-2013, 11:47 AM
I would try the nasal rinse. Older DD is prone to sinus infections but since we started doing the nasal rinses once she gets very congested, she has not had one sinus infection. The first time we used it, it was fascinating (in a gross, horrifying way.....) to see how much mucous came out. She felt sooooo much better afterwards and all her nasal pressure/pain was pretty much instantly relieved.

We couldn't figure out the neti pot :o , but this one worked very well for her.

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse_isotonic.php

:yeahthat: x 1000. definitely do a sinus rinse. i have that same bottle in the link and this helps SO much. i used it a ton after my sinus surgery last year, and i do it 2x a day whenever i have a cold. i've had 3 colds so far and never got a sinus infection from it, bc this prevents it from building up.

The neil med one is awesome, but make sure you use purified or distilled water, not tap water.

Yes. And make sure the water is warm, not cold.

If the sinus rinse doesn't do the trick, i would try spray like Flonase. I had stuffy nose for a while, went to my dr and it helped.

I too hate taking abx, and i'm not even nursing anymore. i just hate how it totally effs up my stomach. plus many studies show that abx isn't even that effective for treating sinus infections.

Tondi G
01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
another natural option is this spray .... saline with Xylitol. I was having recurring sinus infections and this is the only thing that I changed and haven't had a sinus infection since using this. I use the pump mist. It works better for me than a neti pot (always ended up messing with my ears but I have ear issues) or regular saline spray.

http://www.xlear.com/nasal-spray.aspx