PDA

View Full Version : 11 yr old home alone?

Thatchermom
01-13-2013, 12:00 PM
DS broke his wrist last night wrestling with a buddy. After a late-night ER visit he wants nothing more than to stay in bed reading/snoozing all day. I, however, have woken up and I'm pretty sure I have strep. (High fever, swollen, white splotches) DH works all day and I have no family around. Friends are all at church. Do I drag poor DS to the urgent care with me? Leave him home alone? Suck it up and not go until tomorrow afternoon? (DS now has appointments in the morning for his wrist). So much for me staying home today to take care of him- I just want MY mommy! I could really use a Dr. that makes house calls. What would you do?

TwinFoxes
01-13-2013, 12:04 PM
I think it totally depends on the 11 year old. I would have been fine. My brother would have gotten into all types of trouble. I wouldn't drag him to urgent care though. Couldn't you just go after your DH is home from work if you decide not to leave DS at home?

ha98ed14
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
As long as he is a responsible, compliant kid and not responsible for watching any other younger siblings, and you think you can get there and back within 2 hours, I'd do it. If your son would look for mischief to fill the time, then no way, Jose. He's less likely to act up in the waiting room. Also ask him if he's comfortable with it.

lablover
01-13-2013, 12:11 PM
I occasionally leave my 9yo DS at home during the day if I am going to be back in an hour or so. He is responsible and a rule follower. I would leave him at home if you trust him. Call to check in on him at set intervals.

swrc00
01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Each state usually has guidelines for children staying at home alone. I think considering the situation he would be fine.

The state of GA says this, "Children between the ages of 9 and 12, based on level of maturity, can be left home alone for brief periods of time."

I also wouldn't want to drag DS to UC, based on the Flu being so rampant right now.

Feel better!

egoldber
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Well.......

Normally I would say totally fine. My 11 year old stays home by herself for 1-3 hours all the time.

However, you never know how long you will have to wait at urgent care. That added to the fact that he has a newly broken wrist would make me a little hesitant.

ETA: If you have a cell phone and you can call in to check on him that would make it better.

pakin
01-13-2013, 12:25 PM
I agree with PPs. I leave my 11yo DS home alone occasionally (never more than an hour). He is very much a rule follower.

Our local YMCA offers a class called "staying home alone". My DS took that class about 2 years ago. That really helped with my anxiety. :)

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

JustMe
01-13-2013, 01:07 PM
I agree that it depends on the 11 year old and if you have a cell phone he can call if he needs you.

As long as you know he will not go out, let anyone in, or set a fire, I think it will be fine. It sounds like you do need to get to the dr (unless as someone else said you can wait until your dh can come home or if you have friends who will be home from church earlier that are willing to take care of your ds).

I would also leave some snacks he can readily access with his broken wrist.

s7714
01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
I agree it depends on the kid. I've been comfortable leaving my oldest home alone since she turned 9. Started when she was sick last summer but DD2 wasn't. I didn't want to shortchange DD2's swim lessons nor drag a sick DD1 along. DD1 loves to be left home alone, but she requires that I call her frequently to check in. :wink2:

sarahsthreads
01-13-2013, 03:21 PM
I would be comfortable with it, if it were my DD1. I've come this close -><- to leaving her home for the 15 minutes it would take to run DD2 down to preschool and back when DD1 has been home sick from school, and she's only 8. (I ultimately decided she wasn't quite ready, and had her stay in the car in the parking lot instead.) She's a typical oldest - compulsive rule follower, super responsible. So at 11 I think I'd be fine leaving her home alone. NOT with her sister, though, because when they're together all bets are off and they're both little irresponsible maniacs.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sarah :)

Tondi G
01-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I hope you've already left him at home and gone to the urgent care and are back home. But yeah I have left my 11 yr old at home alone and would in these circumstances.

KDsMommy
01-13-2013, 08:52 PM
I would leave him home alone if you know all he's apt to do is lay in bed and read.

I hope you both feel better soon!