PDA

View Full Version : Freecycle etitquette

niccig
01-13-2013, 01:26 PM
I posted some things on freecycle. I replied to the first person, with a pick-up time range and she hasn't gotten back to me. I've got 4 other replies from people saying they can come today. How long do I have to wait for the first person to reply?

Lesson learned - wait until you get a few replies and then reply to the person who can come first.

s7714
01-13-2013, 02:59 PM
I put a disclaimer in my responses that they have 24 hours to respond or I move on to the next person (likewise they get one chance to pick it up because I detest no shows).

I'd give the person a day or two if you didn't ask for a quick response, but I'd send a second message establishing a deadline.

rin
01-13-2013, 05:48 PM
I'd write back to the first person and say something like "just realized I never set a timeframe; I want to get this out of my house by tomorrow. Please let me know by tonight if that works for you. If not, I'll go ahead and offer it to the next person on the list."

Freecyclers are so flakey! I'm actually pretty sick of freecycle; a combination of no-shows and then someone earlier this week who took something set out for a different person. Plus this one guy on our freecycle who responds to *everything* I post. I can't imagine he always just happens to have a coffeemaker that uses the same size filters we're giving away, a hatstand, a pair of women's size 8 shoes, etc. I'd say he's ebaying it, but I also can't picture someone ebaying a hatstand!