PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 cases--Otterbox vs Speck?

TwoBees
01-13-2013, 02:54 PM
How do they compare? I'm looking at slim-fit cases. Thanks!

acmom
01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Never had an otterbox, but I have had great luck with my speck cases for several iPhones now. (I currently have a 4 with the case that flips up at the bottom for docking, just a shell case w/ no screen protector). I drop my phone a lot and it has survived many drops on pavement and just about every kind of flooring.

ETA: I really like the flip up bottom for docking/charging too.

ETA: I couldn't remember the name of my current case until I saw the next post...mine is a speck candy shell too.

123LuckyMom
01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
The otterbox is super chunky-- not slim fit at all, but it's very protective. I have the speck candy shell. It is slim fit but not tremendously protective.

squimp
01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
I purchased both and prefer the speck - much more sleek.

AnnieW625
01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
I had an Otterbox Defender for my 4s for over a year and them the silicone started stretching and ripping, plus my 2 yr. old started taking it off so I recently got a Commuter, which is the same size as the Speck. I really like the Commuter a lot better than the Defender, although when I used the Defender I really had no issues with it. I thought about buying a Speck Candy She'll this time, but a lot if people said that the back of the Speck Candy Shell showed scratches too much.

legaleagle
01-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Love love love my speck candy shell grip. I've had it for a couple months and no noticeable wear on the case, either scratches or the rubbery bits. Buttons would very well too. I have the pink & black one.

KLD313
01-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Love love love my speck candy shell grip. I've had it for a couple months and no noticeable wear on the case, either scratches or the rubbery bits. Buttons would very well too. I have the pink & black one.

:yeahthat: right down the the same color. :). I've dropped it on marble and it just bounces. My DD has thrown it across the room and no problems.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-13-2013, 11:28 PM
the biggest difference is that the Speck does not have a built in screen protector. You have to buy that separately.

I like my Speck I find the Otterbox too bulky and grippy to fit in my pocket or slip in and out of my purse.

I really like the Lifeproof best of all but have not switched to it yet.

123LuckyMom
01-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Beware the Lifeproof! DH bought it originally. It really distorted the speaker and would make the volume of his voice vary wildly throughout a phone call. We thought that particular case must be defective, so we exchanged it. The voice fading in and out thing seemed to go away when we tested it in the store, but two days later it was happening again and continued to happen. We returned the case, and he got an Otterbox. It's much chunkier and not waterproof, but he can use his phone properly again. Maybe people with the Lifeproof don't use their speakers or speakerphones. I can't imagine their being happy with the case if they do!

AnnieW625
01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
the biggest difference is that the Speck does not have a built in screen protector. You have to buy that separately.

I like my Speck I find the Otterbox too bulky and grippy to fit in my pocket or slip in and out of my purse.

I really like the Lifeproof best of all but have not switched to it yet.

If it matters any you get a stick on screen protector with the Commuter. I have not installed mine though. I like it bare.

gatorsmom
01-14-2013, 11:04 AM
I had a speck case which I LOVED until my phone slipped out of my pocket last year and landed face down on some gravel. It didn't even hit hard but the display splintered into tiny shards. :(.

mackmama
01-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I bought a Speck for my iphone 5 while I was waiting for the Lifeproof case to be released. Once I got the Lifeproof, I stopped using the slim Speck. Well I decided that I like the Speck much better and stopped using the Lifeproof. (The Lifeproof really muffled the sound of my phone and had a loose fit). My DH has the Otterbox commuter for his iphone 4. Comparing the Commuter to the Speck, I wish I had gone with the Otterbox commuter from the beginning. The commuter is just as slim as the speck but seems to offer more protection somehow. The commuter just feels better in my hand. I'm sticking with the Speck though since I already have it. I also like the Speck colors better. :) That was a long-winded reply - hope some part of it was helpful. ;)

jillmk
01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
I have the Otterbox Commuter on my iphone 5 and I've been really happy with it. It is a little bulkier than the Incipio NGP I had on my iphone 4, but not enough to bother me. (No experience with the Speck.) My DH uses an Otterbox Defender and that would be way too big for me.

lovin2shop
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
I used to have a Speck, but broke the screen on more than one phone. I'm clumsy. Went to the Otterbox Defender. It is bulky, but it works, so I'm accepting the bulk. Plus, it is easier to find in the depths of my purse.

However, I'm actually in the process of having it replaced thanks to the threads posted here with the warranty information. The silicone has stretched out somewhat, and it is starting to rip in one place.

AnnieW625
01-14-2013, 02:57 PM
I have the Otterbox Commuter on my iphone 5 and I've been really happy with it. It is a little bulkier than the Incipio NGP I had on my iphone 4, but not enough to bother me. (No experience with the Speck.) My DH uses an Otterbox Defender and that would be way too big for me.

the screen protector on the commuter is just to keep fingerprints off the screen, right? Since it is one you install I am assuming it doesn't offer much protection right? I didn't install mine because I didn't want to deal with it puckering or the screen being sticky if I ever wanted to remove it.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
I have a cheap screen protector I got on eBay for a dollar or so and it is not puckered and not sticky. It protects from fingerprints I guess but really is more for scratches. And provides some protection from cracks if it would fall just right I think.

it was easy to put on and smooth out with a credit card edge.

jillmk
01-15-2013, 08:46 AM
the screen protector on the commuter is just to keep fingerprints off the screen, right? Since it is one you install I am assuming it doesn't offer much protection right? I didn't install mine because I didn't want to deal with it puckering or the screen being sticky if I ever wanted to remove it.

Yes, that's right. And to protect it from scratches--every now and then I forget and put it in my coat pocket with my keys. I actually am pretty happy with this screen protector as well. It went on easily with no issues, and I like the feel better than some I've had with the iphone4. (Of course I've only been using it about a month.)