PDA

View Full Version : Uggg, strep throat; should I worry?

trcy
01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
I found out that someone we were around yesterday was Dx with step throat today. Talk me down, because I am freaking out a little. What are the chances we will catch it? What signs do I look for, esp in DD? She can't tell me her throats hurts, so how will I know? This would be terrible if we caught it. DH has no insurance and I just started a new job so I don't want to take time off to go to the Dr. UGGG!!!

light-castle
01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Every time one of my kids has strep, I worry about the rest of us, but none of us have ever gotten it...

They say to watch for excess swallowing, or a thick sounding throat.

Jennifer

MSWR0319
01-13-2013, 08:50 PM
DH had strep this week and I talked to the pedi since DS is 8 months and DS1 is 4. She told me kids under 5 hardly ever get it and that the littler ones will get a rash and a fever instead of a sore throat.

pb&j
01-13-2013, 08:53 PM
DH had strep this week and I talked to the pedi since DS is 8 months and DS1 is 4. She told me kids under 5 hardly ever get it and that the littler ones will get a rash and a fever instead of a sore throat.

Both of mine had it prior to age 2, and it has made a few rounds through the kids' preschool which is mostly kids under 5.

Look for high fever, swollen lymph nodes, and signs that her throat hurts, like not wanting to eat or drink. Also, it has a distinct odor.

Trust me you will KNOW when your kid has strep.

barkley1
01-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Dd is 16 months and had it last month. No symptoms except really high fever, and the dr said her throat was a little red. I actually thought she might be getting the flu. So they did a quick strep test and it came back positive. DS and the rest of us didn't get it.

Eta: yes, her breath smelled weird, too

maydaymommy
01-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Dd is 16 months and had it last month. No symptoms except really high fever, and the dr said her throat was a little red. I actually thought she might be getting the flu. So they did a quick strep test and it came back positive.

This is what happened to ds2 (3.5) a few months ago - high fever, cranky, no other symptoms or complaints. Dr said his throat wasn't even red.

OP, don't stress. Strep is straight forward in most kids & if you were concerned about dc you could go to an urgent care and get a prescription for a generic, pretty cheap, antibiotic.