PDA

View Full Version : Panini maker vs. sandwich maker?

happymom
01-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I really just want to be able to make quick grilled cheese sandwiches, but I was thinking a panini maker would be fun and could open up to more possibilities....

Then I started looking at the sandwich maker and panini maker options on Amazon and I see panini makers are at least double the price!

Any recommendations for a cheaper panini maker (under $40ish) or should I just go with the sandwich maker?

Tondi G
01-13-2013, 07:39 PM
we have a George forman grill (have had it for at least 15 years I think) and we use it to grill breakfast sandwiches or make tuna melts etc. The grill marks are a little wider spaced but it doesn't change the taste at all.

BabyH
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
I'd get whichever one is cheaper. It's such a quick use item, you probably won't notice any *real* difference. I make everything a panini in this house! It's my "secret" way to get DS to eat different things (even though he's not picky at all...)

flashy09
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
I have it all....George Foreman mini grill, sandwich maker, panini maker, quesadilla maker....and usually end up making grilled cheeses in the frying pan! But between the sandwich maker and panini maker, I find them very similar and usually just use the sandwich maker.

pastrygirl
01-13-2013, 10:36 PM
I have a sandwich press with a smooth surface and use it all the time for grilled cheeses. This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Breville-SG820XL-Maxi-Panini-Press/dp/B00008ZCKO

I would buy another plain and simple one like that if it ever stops working. I don't want or need anything fancier. I make quesadillas on the stove, eggs in a pan, etc. I only use the Breville for hot, cheesy sandwiches.

ETA: I also love that it stores on its side. I wouldn't buy anything bulkier.

Twin Mom
01-13-2013, 11:43 PM
I have this Cuisinart model and I think it would be more versatile than just a sandwich maker but it is more expensive. Costco had a discount on it a while back so it was much cheaper than it is on Amazon in my link. The plates come off and can go in the dishwasher so that is why I prefer it to a sandwich maker or the GF grill. I usually wash the plates by hand anyway but since they come off, it's easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GR-4N-5-in-1-Griddler/dp/B002YD99Y4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358134523&sr=8-3&keywords=cuisinart+panini+press