PDA

View Full Version : help, constipation in 3yo

♥ms.pacman♥
01-13-2013, 08:45 PM
it is Sunday night and DS has not pooped since Friday...more than 48 hrs. i know it doesnt' sound like too big a deal but he normally poops once a day, sometimes twice. I wouldn't be so concerned if he wasn't complaining that his lower abdomen hurt.

FWIW, Friday night he got really sick (he has been congested, coughing), spiked a 103 fever, puked etc so Saturday morning he didn't eat much..though today he ate a ton as he normally does. We've been giving him tons of water, pedialyte, and for lunch he ate nothing but fruit. Still, he says his lower tummy hurts and he hasn't pooped at all today or yesterday.

is there anythign i can give him to help? Miralax? I want to give him something to help but i don't want to upset his tummy (he is still coughing a bit, congested, etc but has been fever free all day today and yesterday).

Tondi G
01-13-2013, 09:07 PM
will he eat dried fruit? Prunes? Raisins? dried apricots? That seems to help my kids when they need a little something to help them go but we don't want to give them a laxative/softener. I am thinking Miralax would be the next thing to try if he hasn't gone by tomorrow.

karstmama
01-13-2013, 09:20 PM
according to the package insert, miralax doesn't cause cramping, so yeah - maybe some dried fruit / prune juice today, lots & lots of water, and miralax tomorrow if no results?

mmommy
01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
I'd go ahead with the Miralax. It's really gentle. 1/2 a cap - 1 cap in a drink will probably do it.