PDA

View Full Version : teacher birthday gift?

nfowife
01-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Just wondering. I am the room mom for DS's kinder class at a very affluent public school. I just did a collection in December for the teacher's holiday gift and had about 80% participation. The teacher's birthday is coming up in 3 weeks. Should I do another collection (I would do $3 per kid and a gift cert to a local restaurant or maybe a mani/pedi gift cert) and cupcakes to share with the class? Or do you think parents will be annoyed that I'm asking for more $$ (asked for $18 combined for the teacher and special teachers).

SnuggleBuggles
01-13-2013, 09:23 PM
We never have bought birthday gifts for teachers. Most of the time we don't know when birthdays are either. If I were doing something, I'd just bring in cupcakes and have the kids sign a birthday card.

KrisM
01-13-2013, 09:29 PM
We never have bought birthday gifts for teachers. Most of the time we don't know when birthdays are either. If I were doing something, I'd just bring in cupcakes and have the kids sign a birthday card.

:yeahthat:

blisstwins
01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
I think a gift is too much. A gesture would be sweet though.

ZeeBaby
01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
We don't do bdays either here. Christmas and end of the year gifts only.

acmom
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM

:yeahthat: I never got (or expected) a birthday gift when I was teaching.

belovedgandp
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Oops twice

belovedgandp
01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Our school has a tried and true method of asking for money from families once in September/October. As a room parent I ask for $10-20 to be used for the teacher's holiday, birthday and end of year gifts. This year each class shaved off a % to pool together for the special teachers.

I'll end up with about $250 that I spend - 100 holiday, 50 birthday and 100 EOY. For the birthday I'll arrange to bring in breakfast or lunch and treats for the class along with flowers and a gift.

As a parent in the class that just gave money for the holiday gift, I'd not be too excited to give again. A note home asking each child to bring in a note/picture/card would be great and you might get a volunteer or two to do something more from that.

fivi2
01-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Our room parents have collected birthday money both years so far. This year both teachers birthdays were about a week apart (I have twins) and one room parent got around $100; the other about $40. I don't know why so different. I would not do an individual gift but I do contribute to a collection.

It is not an affluent school, but parents are very involved.

KpbS
01-13-2013, 11:17 PM
We collect 2x per year (also room parent but very middle class school) once for Christmas and once for the teacher's birthday. I would go ahead and ask for contributions knowing that this time of year some people are not feeling generous and/ overextended. She'll understand.

PZMommy
01-13-2013, 11:27 PM
As a teacher, I have never gotten a birthday gift, nor would I expect to. My brithday typically falls during spring break, but when it lands on a day we are in school, I bring in a little treat for my students. I would not expect a room parent or any of my parents to do anything for me.

baymom
01-14-2013, 01:15 AM
This year, the room mom brought in mini cupcakes for the kids and had them all sing Happy Birthday to the teacher. Maybe sign a card, too...not sure. Last year, it was the teacher's 50th b-day and everyone ADORED the teacher and wanted to do something extra special. A Dad in the class took out each child separately during PE over a couple of days and 'interviewed' them about the teacher, what turning 50 means, ect. He edited the video and made a truly beautiful DVD for her. It was both so funny and so very sweet. We brought in cupcakes and invited parents to come watch the movie when the kids 'presented' it to her, right before pick up one day. I don't think an actual gift/gift card is really necessary.