PDA

View Full Version : what sunscreen would you bring to Caribbean for six month old

lmh2402
01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
title says it all

this summer for DS, i used burnout, TruKid Sunny Days Sport and Seventh Generation Baby

is there anything better for a little baby?

thx

mikala
01-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Episencial was my favorite last year. All terrain spray is also great.

We took DS1 to the beach around that age and mostly used barrier protection like a long sleeved uv rash guard, long swim trunks, hat, sitting under an umbrella, etc. He was not a fan of sunscreen application.

crl
01-14-2013, 12:05 AM
I would go with long sleeve rash guards, hats etc. And I would probably use Badger Baby sunscreen and/or badger stick sunscreen. But I would check EWG first to make sure they still rate well.

Catherine

Tondi G
01-14-2013, 12:11 AM
I second the rec to cover him as much as you can with a rash guard and long trunks... sun hat on.

For sunscreen I would recommend UV Naturals. It is kind of greasy and if your family has any issues with nuts then don't buy this cause I believe it has macadamia oil? We used UV naturals on our cruise down to Mexico a few years ago and it kept everyone from getting burned. I just checked their site and they say they have reformulated and removed the greasy oils ... http://www.uvnatural.com/usa/improvedformulausa.htm

This past summer we went to Cabo San Lucas MX and I bought some new Alba sunscreen and also a kiss my face oil spray thinking this would be good for the boys scalps. The Alba sunscreen was not strong enough for the tropical sun (had done well for us at the county fair all day in Los Angeles). I resorted back to the not as easy to spread Johnson and Johnson sunscreen I had purchased before http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Sunscreen-Lotion-4-Fluid-Ounces/dp/B0036B8S1I and some left over Neutrogena pure and free baby I had. I also caved and borrowed our friends chemical spray sunscreen on top of the physical blockers. Thankfully DH and I were the ones who ended up with the worst burns rather than our boys. Luckily they were wearing their rashguards. They only got pink cheeks that were faded in a day. Oh and we like the Pure and Free stick for quick re-application on the kids faces.... goes on easy and you can see it, it also rated well on EWG/Skin Deep.

sste
01-14-2013, 12:14 AM
lmh, I just returned from turks and caicos and we are pale and sickly types and the sun was intense! As in multiple applications of sunblock per morning for us. I might try Blue Lizard if you have time to order it - - it is not my favorite sunblock for "feel" as it is kind of thick and a little greasy. However, it seems to us to be the most water and sweat-resistant (we have tried trukid, badger, that prairie one, vanicream (one of my all around favorites) and others). Maybe not a big deal for your baby but your older child will probably be in and out of the water. Also for a cheaper option one of the coppertones for kids rated pretty well on EWG.

I would def. do long sleeve rash guards. For the baby, a good stroller hood. I would even consider the kids hats with side flaps if your kids will tolerate.

There are nice cabanas and semi-shaded areas though they are often in use so you can't rely on them.

ETA: totally agree with pp about alba and also I have gotten terrible eye irritation from alba and neutrogena sheer when in the water.

lmh2402
01-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Yes, totally agree re: rash guards and hats -already loaded up. And yes it's the flap happy hats. And bringing snap stroller w good canopy for her. But want sunscreen too bc i do anticipate intense sun. Thanks for the recos

Hope you had fun, sste! Might PM you for any tips you can provide!

KLD313
01-14-2013, 12:57 AM
We used Purple Prairie sticks when DD was 9 mos old and we were in FL. We were at the beach and outside all the time and she never got burned at all. Even out on the water in a boat. It does make everything it touches white but I didn't care about that as long as she didn't burn.

AnnieW625
01-14-2013, 12:59 AM
We had great luck with Nature's Gate Aqua Block SPF50. It is a 2 on the Skin Deep site (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/437484/Nature%27s_Gate_Aqua_Block_Sunscreen_Lotion%2C_SPF _50/). It is pretty thick though, but it worked really well for myself and DD2 who are pretty pale. DD1, and DH used it as well and they have more olive complexions, but didn't burn either. I bought DD1 some Badger Balm stick this past summer and she had no issues with it.

My skin gets itchy from Blue Lizard. I also really like Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple, and Target's brand spray SPF 30.

Melbel
01-14-2013, 01:01 AM
The Gymboree hats with the velcro straps worked well for DD2. Rash guards from Lands End or cuter versions from Chez Ami (much better pricing end of season).

For sunscreen, the Vanicream Sport and Sensitive worked well for us in the Bahamas (multiple trips) on our fair kids. It is available behind the pharmacy counter at Target (not prescription). Well rated by EWG.

ETA: We also have used Blue Lizard and the Coppertone Pure & Simple, both of which worked well (Vanicream is still my favorite though and is great for sensitive skin; the sport version is more waterproof). We have a Neutrogena stick for the face that also had reasonably good ratings on EWG (a pure and simple type stick but I forgot the name)

Tondi G
01-14-2013, 01:35 AM
I don't know why I said trunks ... you have a little girl! :)

How about one of these sun suits?

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Protective-NoZone-Silver-months/dp/B00697MNOO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1358141630&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=baby+sun+suits

I forgot we also used the Coppertone water babies pure and simple and we were pretty happy with that one too.

JBaxter
01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
I used Badger on Jack when we went to the Dominican Republic. He wore a hat and swim diaper and we sat him under the umbrella to play. I had a rash guard but he didn't like it so we opted to use a little white cotton TShirt and the umbrella on the beach. We were out in the sun at the beach most of the week and he never turned pink. I used the CA baby stick on his face and nose. I like the sticks because they didnt run or sting their eyes

Kindra178
01-14-2013, 09:04 AM
We used Blue Lizard Baby when ds1 was a baby then switched to CA Baby. Now we use a combo of Blue Lizard and CA Baby. CA Baby has a better rating, but it's super, super pricey. I think Blue Lizard works really well as well. I also bought a Kiss My Face Spray that we just used in Florida. It was fine and the application was easy, but I wouldn't use it on the baby (I didn't use is on faces).

marymoo86
01-14-2013, 09:44 AM
I would go with long sleeve rash guards, hats etc. And I would probably use Badger Baby sunscreen and/or badger stick sunscreen. But I would check EWG first to make sure they still rate well.

Catherine

:yeahthat:

sste
01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Feel free to PM! I have some thoughts . . . and had a very nice vacay!

Coppertone pure and simple was the inexpensive one we brought. My five year old is a big-time swimmer and vampire-pale that makes the sunblock issue difficult. None of it is waterproof for more than an hour or two but as I mentioned blue lizard worked really well and so did the coppertone pure and simple. For your DD any highly rated ewg should be fine - - it is the water that is the issue.

Also, bring more than you will need. The coppertone sunblock I mentioned sells for $21 in the hotel gift store! I was happy to have my cvs-purchased ones.

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Anything with zinc or titanium dioxide. I have had good luck with them.

maestramommy
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
When DD1 was a baby a friend was selling Arbonne, so I used that. Took forever to get through it. When DD3 was a baby we used Neutrogena Pure and Free baby. Pink and white tube. I think it's spf 60? However, last year I started using Coppertone Waterbabies when the kids were swimming. I wanted something more waterproof, and the Neutrogena wasn't quite cutting it. We still used it for just going out though.

The official line is once a baby is 6 months you can use whatever sunscreen. But of course which once you end up using depends on your comfort level with the ingredients.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
01-14-2013, 02:27 PM
DS has gotten to the point where any scunscreen I can buy easily at the store causes him to develop welts after it's been applied. The two I have found that don't cause this are Burnout Ocean Tested Physical SPF 30 and Thinkbaby sunscreen SPF 50+. We live in FL and have a pool so we've put them to the test. Also used them on a 5 day Disney cruise last May and neither of my twins got burned at all despite all the time in the sun and water. I think of the two I prefer the Burnout, but it's a little more pricey so I buy the Thinkbaby sometimes too.

mackmama
01-14-2013, 02:41 PM
We used Blue Lizard around that age when we went to Hawaii. It worked great for us.

Main protection was definitely through a hat and a swimsuit that was LS with pants.

Our favorite swimsuit is http://www.nozoneus.com/category_s/255.htm (the long zipper makes it easy to get on/off).

My favorite hat BY FAR is Sunday Afternoons Play Hat. It's the only hat I've found that has a strap that DC can't remove. http://www.sundayafternoons.com/kids-play-hat.html

DC also wore little rubber shoes to protect feet from hot sand, shells, etc.