PDA

View Full Version : Does Amazon S&S lock in the price of your first order?

ciw
01-14-2013, 12:00 AM
I understand that subsequent orders will be billed at whatever Amazon's current price is but I am confused about how first orders work now.

Previously, if I ordered something using S&S, the item would ship immediately and I would be billed the price of the item at the time I placed my order. Subsequent orders would be billed at whatever Amazon's price was when those orders shipped -- so the price could be higher or lower.

But now, if I place a new S&S order, the item won't ship until the beginning of the next month. So for that first order, will I be billed at the price of the item at the time I place the order or the price at the time the order ships? I understand that subsequent orders will still be billed on the price at shipping and consequently fluctuate.

cbscherer
01-14-2013, 01:36 AM
I understand that subsequent orders will be billed at whatever Amazon's current price is but I am confused about how first orders work now.

Previously, if I ordered something using S&S, the item would ship immediately and I would be billed the price of the item at the time I placed my order. Subsequent orders would be billed at whatever Amazon's price was when those orders shipped -- so the price could be higher or lower.

But now, if I place a new S&S order, the item won't ship until the beginning of the next month. So for that first order, will I be billed at the price of the item at the time I place the order or the price at the time the order ships? I understand that subsequent orders will still be billed on the price at shipping and consequently fluctuate.

I wish I knew the answer so lurking to find out.

Snow mom
01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
I believe it does for the first order. I placed an order 1/9 and it still shows the price I subscribed at, even though it hasn't shipped. I just checked and it's cheaper now! I think I'll cancel that order and replace it.

ETA: I just checked the e-mail I received and it's really unclear:
"All Subscribe & Save orders receive a discount over the regular price of the item. The discount you receive for each order will be calculated off the Amazon.com price for the item on the day each order is placed. Therefore, if the price of the item increases or decreases, the amount you are charged may also increase or decrease."

boltfam
01-14-2013, 10:21 AM
ETA: I just checked the e-mail I received and it's really unclear:
"All Subscribe & Save orders receive a discount over the regular price of the item. The discount you receive for each order will be calculated off the Amazon.com price for the item on the day each order is placed. Therefore, if the price of the item increases or decreases, the amount you are charged may also increase or decrease."

Seriously? The last two sentences seem to contradict each other. Could you be more unclear, Amazon?

lingtm777
01-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Seriously? The last two sentences seem to contradict each other. Could you be more unclear, Amazon?

it doesn't lock in the price, you will be charged whatever the price is at that time, so let's say first time you order, price is $10, then it went up two weeks later to $12, you will be charged $12*0.95 (5% S&S discount) for your 2nd shipment. Amazon does send you a reminder that the next shipment price has changed so you can decide to keep it or skip it or cancel.

wellyes
01-14-2013, 10:54 AM
I haven't bothered with Subscribe and Save since it went down to 5% and the first delivery is weeks away. They seem to be working hard to get rid of that program.

lingtm777
01-14-2013, 10:55 AM
also, one time i decided to check the price of the item, then realized there is a cheaper option then with S&S discount, which i wouldn't have known if I didn't do the search. so be careful.

AnnieW625
01-14-2013, 10:56 AM
It basically means that if you order something for $10 on S&S then at your next shipment time it could be $12, $10, or $8. You just have to set a reminder date to check and see if the price is the same, has gone up, or lowered. If the price is lower at shipment time you get that price so you don't need to cancel it and restart at the lower price.

kaharris83
01-14-2013, 11:04 AM
No the price is not locked in. They email you a few days before your next shipment. The email tells you what you paid for your last order as well as what you will pay for the order being sent in a few days. There are links to skip that order as well as change your quantity. If I notice a price drop I usually increase my order that time and skip my next.one.

ciw
01-14-2013, 11:06 AM
It basically means that if you order something for $10 on S&S then at your next shipment time it could be $12, $10, or $8. You just have to set a reminder date to check and see if the price is the same, has gone up, or lowered. If the price is lower at shipment time you get that price so you don't need to cancel it and restart at the lower price.

I understand that is true for subsequent shipmentss but I am still unclear about the pricing for the first shipment. For the first shipment, do you pay the price of the item at the time you order and sign up for S&S or the price at the time Amazon ships the first order?

ciw
01-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Okay, so I did a live chat with Amazon and asked the same question. Here was the response.

Braj Kishore:I would like to inform you that there is a chnage in our s&s policy in which the first order gets shipped after a month but you get charged only when the item ships out.
Me:So does that mean that the price of the first order is the price at the time of shipment rather than the price at the time the order is placed?
Braj Kishore:No, it's the price when you place the order not when the item ships.

So, based on this correspondence, it sounds like the price on the first shipment is "locked in" and billed based on the price at the time of order and subsequent shipments are billed based on the price at time of shipping.

I'm still not 100% sure though.

boltfam
01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Okay, so I did a live chat with Amazon and asked the same question. Here was the response.

Braj Kishore:I would like to inform you that there is a chnage in our s&s policy in which the first order gets shipped after a month but you get charged only when the item ships out.
Me:So does that mean that the price of the first order is the price at the time of shipment rather than the price at the time the order is placed?
Braj Kishore:No, it's the price when you place the order not when the item ships.

So, based on this correspondence, it sounds like the price on the first shipment is "locked in" and billed based on the price at the time of order and subsequent shipments are billed based on the price at time of shipping.

I'm still not 100% sure though.

I would agree with your interpretation.

wellyes
01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
First shipment is the price you locked, for better or worse.
Every shipment after is whatever they are charging at time of shipment.

mommylamb
01-14-2013, 12:24 PM
See, this is the sort of thing that makes me feel like S&S just isn't worth it any more. I hate this new policy of not shipping the item immediately, and waiting for a month. I mean, I can't buy diapers from them this way. I need diapers when I need them, not a month later. And, I hate the idea of ordering something and then the price going down but still having to pay the higher price even though it hasn't shipped.

These are the things that make me consider cancelling Prime. Just because I think their business model is so flawed.

boltfam
01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
See, this is the sort of thing that makes me feel like S&S just isn't worth it any more. I hate this new policy of not shipping the item immediately, and waiting for a month. I mean, I can't buy diapers from them this way. I need diapers when I need them, not a month later. And, I hate the idea of ordering something and then the price going down but still having to pay the higher price even though it hasn't shipped.

These are the things that make me consider cancelling Prime. Just because I think their business model is so flawed.

:yeahthat:

AnnieW625
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
See, this is the sort of thing that makes me feel like S&S just isn't worth it any more. I hate this new policy of not shipping the item immediately, and waiting for a month. I mean, I can't buy diapers from them this way. I need diapers when I need them, not a month later. And, I hate the idea of ordering something and then the price going down but still having to pay the higher price even though it hasn't shipped. However for diapers and wipes it is pretty useless now, especially without the discounts. Sad because I used the S&S for diapers for 2+ years with DD1 otherwise I would have gone broke paying for the Seventh Generation diapers she needed.

:yeahthat: but for things like vitamins which are usually cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else as Target doesn't keep the ones I use and I did do a S&S for some kids L'Oreal haircare stuff because I needed it and it was easier than driving across town to Albertsons to see if they had it. Once I had placed my order though I was able to change my delivery date from January 29th to January 17th.

I am on the fence about renewing my prime as well. I would cancel now, but it doesn't look like I would get a remainder of the six months I have left.

logan's mom
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
:yeahthat: but for things like vitamins which are usually cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else as Target doesn't keep the ones I use and I did do a S&S for some kids L'Oreal haircare stuff because I needed it and it was easier than driving across town to Albertsons to see if they had it. Once I had placed my order though I was able to change my delivery date from January 29th to January 17th.

I am on the fence about renewing my prime as well. I would cancel now, but it doesn't look like I would get a remainder of the six months I have left.

You can set it to not renew and you won't lose your current benefits and won't be charged for a new year when its time.

viba424
01-14-2013, 03:21 PM
I think their changes to S&S are such a rip off. What has happened to us is that to avoid having to wait a month for diapers, wipes, and toothbrushes, last month I opted to buy twice quantity as I normally do so I would not run out which I find a costly and unfair inconvenience. WHen the box finally arrived, it was the size of a refrigerator. I felt like I was on the doomsday prepper show. So lame!

Radosti
01-14-2013, 11:51 PM
FYI, I had something on subscribe and save and monitored the price on and off before the next shipment. I kid you not, the price went up, my next shipment locked in that price and shipped and immediately the price went back down to normal. So, I called and cried foul. The rep agreed with me and adjusted the cost to normal minus 5%.