PDA

View Full Version : I win. That's it!

Mopey
01-14-2013, 11:21 AM
All my life I have heard about my atrocious first journey across the pond to my dad's hometown. How I screamed and didn't sleep for nearly fifteen hours. How I only dozed off when we hit the driveway after a cab, two planes and an hour drive.

But I win! Two flights with a relentlessly squirmy and interested 9.5 month old (who had a touch TV screen six inches from her face for one entire flight) who out of a whopping near 20 hours of travel slept maybe three. And I was alone!! No nanny, husband or older, helpful child.

I win :D :hysterical: Boy have we had a laugh about how much Mopey is like her mommy :bag

Thanks for all the advice and tips everyone! We had a great trip! I hope everyone is doing well :)

ETA: yes, it is possible to go to the bathroom with a baby strapped to you!

crl
01-14-2013, 11:33 AM
:waving4: Sorry for the non-sleeping baby. Ds always slept on planes so I was surprised when I realized dd doesn't.

Catherine

Philly Mom
01-14-2013, 11:40 AM
You do win. DD is one of those not sleeping on planes kds, but at least I have had my DH when we have flown to the UK (although I still handle more of the entertaining). After our trip when she was 13 months, I thought I would not do it again until she was 2 and would watch a movie for at least part of it, but DH convinced me to go at 16.5 months. It was not as bad (she slept less, I just am used to it now). Glad to hear it was a fun trip. I think the destinations are worth the travel.

TwinFoxes
01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Uh, congrats? ;) Get some sleep, and have a great trip!

Mopey
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
My hubby and I have always felt so lucky to travel, and even if only by virtue of where family lives will they need to be good travelers, so here's hoping ;)

maestramommy
01-14-2013, 12:57 PM
woo hoo! Glad you made it!:cheerleader1: Now enjoy the next several days!

oh wait, you're back, lol! Glad the trip was worth it all then!

niccig
01-14-2013, 01:36 PM
My hubby and I have always felt so lucky to travel, and even if only by virtue of where family lives will they need to be good travelers, so here's hoping ;)

They will. DS has clocked 5 trips to Australia and preparing for 6th and he's 8 years old. We did a road trip with friends last year, 9 hours, and I told DS, it'll be like going to Granny's only half the time, no whining at all from him. When we do fly shorter trips (5 hours to ILs) he's upset as only gets to watch 2 movies.

We had a nightmare flight like that when DS was about 1. Ages 2-4 got tricky too as he wanted to move and well, you can't. But 4+ much easier. I found DS travelled best in his carseat. It was comfy and he knew it. PITA in take it on plane sometimes (some airports do not give you back your stroller at the gate, so you have to schlep everything to baggage claim to get it), but he would sleep in it. I had several ways of transporting it (strapped to stroller if knew got it back at gate, strapped to folding luggage cart if didn't get stroller back until baggage claim) I had DS in car seat on long haul flights until nearly 5 (granted he's a peanut so could fit longer).

edurnemk
01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
20 hours! OMG, and I thought we had a tough flight when DS slept only 2 hours of our 9 hour overnight flight (I was alone with him, both ways). But I agree, it's worth it, I love to travel. My kids have been flying since they were tiny babies, so they'r used to it, but DS is a terrible sleeper.

123LuckyMom
01-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Yes, you win!!!!!! I'm glad the trip went well overall though.