PDA

View Full Version : Oh and I'm also a zombie

bisous
01-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Since we've moved here, my kids (who were great sleepers once upon a time) have become the world's worst sleepers. I am up about every hour or two with one of them. It has been a huge variety of things. As a result, I feel like I can't think straight at night. It is kind of crazy!

First, we discovered that the baby was cold at night so we started heating just his room. That seemed to help him a little but he got in a really bad pattern of night waking where he used to sleep the whole blessed night! He's back to waking about every couple of hours, nursing and then going back to his crib. Thankfully, I've had it together enough to put him in the right place, etc.

DS2 has only woken a handful of times but with odd requests. When he told me he was hungry, I was so tired I gave him a piece of bread and told him to eat in bed until he fell asleep! Not the best piece of advice but I just couldn't fathom sitting in the cold kitchen with him at 2 a.m. and letting him finish his food before I put him back in bed!

Two nights ago, DS1 had a nightmare. He dreamed he was in a baby crib (he's 9 so it has been awhile!) and he tried to get out. In reality, he's on the top bunk and he managed to fall OFF the bed, plunging to ground, getting a nasty scrape on his back and a jammed thumb (not broken thankfully--took x-rays yesterday!)

Last night DS1 woke up hot (remember top bunk and radiant ceiling heating) and with uber high blood sugars. He was up three times. The last time I just told him to crash on my floor so he slept under my bathrobe on the carpeting. I was too tired to think that last thing through. His blood sugar is still really high this morning so I've been on the phone with endocrinologist and I'm really worried. I'm even more worried that I didn't take the right steps last because I was truly brain dead from lack of sleep.

I've been going to bed earlier than ever but these kind of nighttime escapades are KILLING me. Despite the fact that for the past six years we've been testing DS1's blood sugar approx. every three hours at night AND dealing with (at points during those years) two newborns, I don't think I've been this exhausted since the first months postpartum.

And if it isn't enough to just feel tired, I'm feeling REALLY out of it. I simply do not feel I have the brain power to handle some of the challenges coming at me at night.

elbenn
01-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Oh, man. That sounds tough! I hope your DC sleep better tonight!

crl
01-14-2013, 12:35 PM
That sounds horrible! My dd hasn't slept well since we traveled over the holidays and that's enough to make me feel like a zombie, I can't imagine all you have going on. When she was a newborn, I hired a daytime sitter a couple of times just so I could sleep while my oldest was at school--maybe that's an option for you to catch up some? My sitter would even take the baby out for a walk in the stoller so I could sleep.

Catherine

bisous
01-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks, guys. DS1 just woke up and vomited all over my bed. He could still just be responding to the high ketones and high blood sugars or he could have the stomach flu. Either way, it isn't going to be getting much better anytime soon.

crl
01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks, guys. DS1 just woke up and vomited all over my bed. He could still just be responding to the high ketones and high blood sugars or he could have the stomach flu. Either way, it isn't going to be getting much better anytime soon.

:grouphug:

Catherine

elbenn
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM

Hang in there! I hope you get some well deserved rest soon.

123LuckyMom
01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm so sorry!!! I hope everyone feels better soon!

elephantmeg
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
lots of hugs and PT! sorry this is so rough!

flashy09
01-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Wow, you have been getting up every 3 hrs at night for 6 years?? No wonder you are exhausted when even more wakeups happen. You have my sympathy!

bisous
01-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Wow, you have been getting up every 3 hrs at night for 6 years?? No wonder you are exhausted when even more wakeups happen. You have my sympathy!

Yes! I've been doing this for years without getting too tired but these couple of weeks are killing me!

bisous
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
It has been several hours since DS vomited. I think he may be feeling better. Blood sugars are still way off so we're not out of the water yet.

Seitvonzu
01-14-2013, 08:23 PM
oh you poor dear! every three hours? god i hate diabetes :( i can't imagine being a kid and having it.... (i was diagnosed gestational during pregnancy and type 1-ish "stuck" and it's bad enough as an adult)

hugs mama :)