PDA

View Full Version : 504 plan questions

ahisma
01-14-2013, 02:35 PM
DD is in high school. For years, she has struggled with academic organization and keeping up with assignments.

We work hard on this at home, but need some level of support from the school. Basically, we can't be the only ones who care when she fails to turn work in.

At her last school, they set up several support programs for her, but DD and the school both dropped the ball - every time. She wouldn't show, they wouldn't tell us for months. The school was #2 in the state but has a horrific track record with kids who need services - their rankings are basically based on socioeconomic factors and the ability of parents to hire private tutors.

This year, we switched her to a smaller project based learning school. They knew our concerns and committed to helping. They've dropped the ball. They have never even put her in the program, although the principal has promised that she had it all set up. For over a month she has been assuring me that we was going to have DD meet with the advisor, always "this week". Today, I found out that the advisor doesn't even know who DD is!

She is intellectually capable but performing FAR below her ability. We are trying, but we need the school to back us up.

Is a 504 an appropriate consideration here? If so, how do we get the ball rolling?

pinkmomagain
01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Honestly, I think I would. Is her new school public or private? Cause I only know public. My 2 oldest have 504s for different reasons. My middle is ADHD so alot of the organizational stuff is an issue. I know next year when she enters HS she will have a support every other day with a teacher who will help her organize and plan. (hurray!!!)

I would start with her guidance counselor. Please whatever you do...stay on top of things and be a pest. We shouldn't have to but we need to or else our kids fall through the cracks....especially if they are not behavior problems.

You may need a dx for the 504 though...I am not sure. My kids do have dx's for their 504s. I would call the GC and ask how to start the process. GL!

wolverine2
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
You do need a disability to have a 504 plan- does she have any diagnosis?

ahisma
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
You do need a disability to have a 504 plan- does she have any diagnosis?

Not from her current therapist, but that isn't her area of practice.

The guidance counselor at her old school is convinced that she has ADD. Two therapists say otherwise. I really don't know what we're looking at. Every time we ask the question, we get a different answer.

wolverine2
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM

The guidance counselor at her old school is convinced that she has ADD. Two therapists say otherwise. I really don't know what we're looking at. Every time we ask the question, we get a different answer.

I would recommend testing to figure that out, and then a 504 might come out of that if there is a diagnosed disability. You can ask the (public) school to do testing or get a neuropsych privately.

ahisma
01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
I would recommend testing to figure that out, and then a 504 might come out of that if there is a diagnosed disability. You can ask the (public) school to do testing or get a neuropsych privately.

Good info - thanks!

Both schools are public. She's currently dual enrolled actually, she goes to her home school for electives and the smaller school for core classes. The smaller school is at the district level, it's an incubator school for project based learning programs.

Our alternative right now may be our best option, truly. We're looking into switching her to the school where DH teaches. She is very angry, but would ultimately succeed there I think. He's a well respected long time teacher there and we know that she would not fall through the cracks.

sste
01-14-2013, 03:26 PM
I don't have first-hand experience with a child on this . . . I would def. be heading to the neuropsych if insurance covered or requesting school testing if not (though I don't know how well the standard school tests identify ADD - - vludmilla here would know and others perhaps on the special ed forum).

I do have some experience with a very disorganized husband!! I couldn't send DH to a tutor unfortunately but we had some success with a book called Getting Things Done--we implemented those strategies using "notes" on his iphone. For kids, I do think there are tutors that will address organizations strategies.

If you feel comfortable, what are the specific items she has problems with? Maybe we can come up with ideas. Again, I certainly agree with 504/iep but it also seems to me your school district is unreliable and you are sort of running short on time if she plans to go to college. I would network with add parents (who cares if you have a diagnosis yet those are the people who will know tutors and resources that focus on organization, executive function, etc).

kmkaull
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Work on getting a medical diagnosis of ADD, and then you can try for the 504. I am going to be honest though, you all need to be on top of whomever implements the 504. I am a special ed teacher and have always hesitated to dismiss kids from special ed and move them to 504 plans. The truth is, there's less monitoring and more opportunities to drop the ball.

This is just my experience. A 504 is better than no plan. Just be aware that they tend to be misunderstood and not taken as seriously.

sophiesmom03
01-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Can you get her tested through the school?

kboyle
01-17-2013, 02:05 PM
definitely get her test thru a psychologist. it may or may not be ADD, and the psych will let you know. any type of disorder will qualify for the 504. the elementary school psych suggest we put ds1 on the 504 before intermediate school (4/5/6th gr) and i never did because he was doing really well with school/school work/organization. now i'm kicking myself because the guidance counselor at the intermediate school is so unresponsive to my emails, his VPrincipal keeps saying "next week", and his teachers and i never seem to be on the same page, so i feel like everything i say to them their response is defensive or negative to me (not my child).

once you get your diagnosis be persistent with your school. several people warned me that it would be tough to get a response and it has been...but that's a school admin issue.

sophiesmom03
01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
definitely get her test thru a psychologist. it may or may not be ADD, and the psych will let you know. any type of disorder will qualify for the 504. the elementary school psych suggest we put ds1 on the 504 before intermediate school (4/5/6th gr) and i never did because he was doing really well with school/school work/organization. now i'm kicking myself because the guidance counselor at the intermediate school is so unresponsive to my emails, his VPrincipal keeps saying "next week", and his teachers and i never seem to be on the same page, so i feel like everything i say to them their response is defensive or negative to me (not my child).

once you get your diagnosis be persistent with your school. several people warned me that it would be tough to get a response and it has been...but that's a school admin issue.

Check the laws in your state - once you submit a request in writing the school has a certain number of days to respond to remain in compliance, at least that's been true in MA and CT. They can't give you such a runaround once you let them know that you know what your rights are under the law...Good luck!

crl
01-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Can you get her tested through the school?

Schools will not diagnose.

Catherine