PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up: awful returns at The Container Store (long)

ckso
01-14-2013, 06:52 PM
I bought quite a bit of stuff from the Container Store in 2012 (before they made their change to their return policy). The last time I bought stuff from them was August last year and I went in to return some of the bins I never used.

For whatever reason the cashier said the system says I already returned them based on the receipts I gave her. So I gave her some of my older receipts that had the items on there. I figured, maybe I forgot. Anyways, she scanned all the receipts of which I bought I total of 10 and she's saying that I can't return it because her computer tells me I already returned all 10. I told her that's not possible as I'm just returning 4 and I'm using the rest at home. I spent over $250 there and am just returning $50 worth of stuff.

She then told me the date I returned 8/12/12 but i pointed out to her that 8/12 is the date that I bought those bins as shown on the receipt. So she says maybe I returned it which I didn't.

Now, this is the WARNING part: She says because the system shows that I returned them already, not only would she NOT issue me a credit or refund, I can't have them back. They assume that I left with them "maybe accidentally" when i returned it. WHAT???!! She talks to a supervisor and he says "gotta trust the system". So I said that's based on the receipts i showed her, what if I found more receipts at home?? she justs say if I want to go home and look, she'll give me until the rest of the day to come back.

So I said why can't I return without receipt? Can't I do that? And she said no but after I complained she tried to return it without a receipt and the system is still not letting her. So I argued isn't that telling her something is wrong with her system? But she insist I returned it and it's there policy to keep the items I'm trying to return because obviously I'm not supposed to have it WHAT??

So I'm complaining and ask for their customer service number. She has trouble finding it and then finally offers to call a department called "Resources" or something like that. Says they can look into the receipt activity and give me more details of when I returned them.

Course they told her that NOTHING was returned off of that receipt and to go ahead and process it for me. REALLY? This was after 15 min of fighting with them and making me feel like a shoplifter.

Sorry for the long post but just thought it was worth giving everyone the heads up here.

Globetrotter
01-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Oh, that would piss me off! You should raise he$$ with the headquarters to make sure this doesn't happen again.

It's odd because they usually have excellent CS. I hope this is just a fluke!

hellokitty
01-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Wow, I'd be pissed too! Esp, the part where they accuse you of trying to scam them! Wtf! I'd be writing a letter to hq for sure. Let us know what their response is.

Momit
01-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Wow that is crazy! I can't believe they made you feel like a criminal just for making a return. What the heck?!

patho521
01-14-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm sure not every container store is like this but if they did it to you I'm sure they'll do it again. You should definitely contact their headquarters and let them know what happened. Usually you can find a list of the president, ceo, etc of a company online - I would send it directly to the highest person you can find.

hillview
01-14-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm sure not every container store is like this but if they did it to you I'm sure they'll do it again. You should definitely contact their headquarters and let them know what happened. Usually you can find a list of the president, ceo, etc of a company online - I would send it directly to the highest person you can find.

That totally

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2013, 08:08 PM
And, these days, sharing your story on Facebook often gets results when other avenues don't.

ckso
01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm not looking for resolution since she processed my return when they confirmed I never returned it. I complained with different company about bad cs and I end up getting upset because it didn't feel like they would do anything and I just wasted my time

I just couldn't believe that their policy is to confiscate the items. I mean really? What if I had another receipt or it was a gift? I understand not processing it if she truly thought the receipts I have her was not the right one but they shouldn't get to keep it at my expense.

sewarsh
01-14-2013, 09:06 PM
And, these days, sharing your story on Facebook often gets results when other avenues don't.

:yeahthat:

TwinFoxes
01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Wow, I'd be pissed too! Esp, the part where they accuse you of trying to scam them! Wtf! I'd be writing a letter to hq for sure. Let us know what their response is.

:yeahthat: I'm seething reading this! I wonder if that's legal...I'd love for one of our attorneys to weigh in.

BTW, I'm going to move this to the lounge.

liz
01-14-2013, 10:04 PM
wow, talk about BAD customer service. I have never had anyone basically tell me I was a shoplifter when I didn't have the reciept when I have gone to return items to a store...and in your case, you did have the reciept! I would absolutely complain to someone higher up and demand some kind of response.

kara97210
01-14-2013, 10:10 PM
I just couldn't believe that their policy is to confiscate the items. I mean really? What if I had another receipt or it was a gift? I understand not processing it if she truly thought the receipts I have her was not the right one but they shouldn't get to keep it at my expense.

That's totally crazy to me. It's not like they are selling things that are one of a kind. It's very possible that someone could have the same bins, boxes, etc. from multiple purchases. I know many times I've bought things from there and gone back to buy 1-2 more of the same thing or to return something that I wasn't going to need.

zukeypur
01-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Whoa. I would be angry.

amatahrain
01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I'd go the head quarter route and facebook.

Something similar happened to me at Sears the other day. Luckily I knew the employees messed something up on another return I did and that was why it looked like I had already returned it. She didn't accuse me of stealing it though... I would have been livid. She did tell me to drive to the store 30 minutes away and get it fixed. No idea why she couldn't do it or get a manager. Luckily I was in an agreeable/good mood and didn't want to ruin the good time I was having with DD. I looked at Sears' facebook page and it's FULL of complaints.

urbanmommy
01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Sounds like an awful experience and that the salesperson needs some training in customer service. So strange as the people who work at container store are usually so professional.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

♥ms.pacman♥
01-14-2013, 10:30 PM
wow, that is horrible. the thing that is so crazy is that she kept insisting that you already returned them, even though you had the items right there with you!! i mean, why would anybody do that...that makes no sense. i'm surprised bc everytime i've gone to the container store, the staff seems super helpful, knowledgeable and professional...levels above the kind of staff at say, Wal-mart or TRU. that's crazy that this lady did this..i'd definitely be going to Facebook, and management.

this kinda reminds me of that other thread about customers accidentally not paying for items, going back to return them and/or pay for them, and then being accused of stealing. I think HannaAddict posted a story about a guy who got sued by HomeDepot bc he went back to pay for a tool he forgot to pay for. Insane. Last year once DD unbeknownst to me) took a 99 cent bouncy ball from TRU and i didnt' realize until after i had already strapped DS in. i didn't bother to go back after hearing these stories..how sad is that.

Octobermommy
01-14-2013, 10:54 PM
That is insane. Just curious, if you couldn't get a resolution on the phone would you have left your $50 worth of stuff there?

Their "customer service" in the store is very lacking. I once tried to use 2 gift cards. One worked and the other didn't. No one could figure it out, said it had already been used (it was brand new) , they just couldn't help me. I went to the parking lot, called their number & got it worked out via phone and they didn't understand why the store couldn't take care of.

Glad you got it worked out but I know I'll think twice about them again!!

ECMom
01-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Maybe the cashier didn't know what she was doing! Maybe she thought the purchase was a return :ROTFLMAO:.

Seriously, I work in retail, a floor manager, and I can't believe it's a corporate policy to confisciate a customer's merchandise. There's too much liability associated with that.

I'd definitely post on their fb page and write a letter to corporate management. They need to know these things! If there is a link to a survey on your receipt, complete that as well. These surveys should filter down through the management chain, ours do.

blisstwins
01-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Seriously crazy. I would be out of my mind that they accused you of stealing and intended to keep your goods. I would absolutely follow up.

baymom
01-15-2013, 01:12 AM
Geez, what a nightmare!! I'd be so upset, too! I'm sorry you were treated that way, that's awful!

123LuckyMom
01-15-2013, 01:57 AM
That's terrible! I would pursue it! They basically accused you of being a thief! At the very least that sales person should be required to get more training.

MamaMolly
01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
That is just so ugly. The sales clerk as good as accused you of stealing. The corperation needs to know this kind of thing, they really do! The sales clerk needs to be trained or retrained in the proper way to handle all returns, suspicious or otherwise.

ckso
01-15-2013, 03:53 PM
She checked with the supervisor and an associate and they were just like, we'll that's what the computer says. I didn't bother speaking with the supervisor because I can tell he didn't seem to care.

My first thought was, did I return them and forgot? But when she said none of my receipts work and that I had returned all of them I knew she was wrong.

I was intending on calling customer service right there when she finally offered to call for me (which she should've done from the beginning).

And honestly I had a fussy 18 mo old with me at the time so I couldn't really think too clearly

Tondi G
01-15-2013, 05:25 PM

Yeah this! I would be furious and I would also let the higher ups know how awful it made you feel, them insulting you and insinuating that you had stolen the items. You were making a reasonable return, you just bought too many of an item and found that you weren't using them and wanted to return. Chances are, after treatment like that, you will be shopping elsewhere and they will lose you as a customer. Shame on them!

MamaMolly
01-15-2013, 08:25 PM
She checked with the supervisor and an associate and they were just like, we'll that's what the computer says. I didn't bother speaking with the supervisor because I can tell he didn't seem to care.

My first thought was, did I return them and forgot? But when she said none of my receipts work and that I had returned all of them I knew she was wrong.

I was intending on calling customer service right there when she finally offered to call for me (which she should've done from the beginning).

And honestly I had a fussy 18 mo old with me at the time so I couldn't really think too clearly

Honestly you seem to be taking some of the blame on to yourself here, and I don't think you should. Forgive me if I'm reading things into your posts that are not there, but I want you to be clear in your mind that you are in no way at fault here!

The sales clerk was in the wrong on many, many levels. Unless she *saw* a customer stealing something she should NEVER EVER get anywhere near accusing some one of that. They were obviously in the wrong, they need to apologize to you. The business AND the dingbat sales clerk and manager. It is not a punitive thing, it is a good customer service thing.

I had an incident with the restaurant at a Nordies where Lula was served moldy bread. I brought it to the waiter's attention, and he tried to tell me it was 'black flour'. I was NOT a happy customer, especially when they didn't take it off my bill. Like you, I had a little one with me who wanted to go home, so later that day I took the time to fill out a survey from the Nordie's receipt. It went WAY WAY up the chain, and I had a refund in my account before I even spoke to customer service. *They* called *me* to tell me. They apologized, they let me know that the server was being retrained (probably something like 'don't argue, just give the crazy lady a fresh piece of bread' ;)) but I'll tell you, they kept me as a customer because they MADE IT RIGHT.

Give them the chance to make it right. They need to.

ckso
01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys. After she finally processed my return she tells me that next time I need to make sure that I keep all my return receipts together so they would know what to do if it happens again. She says this even after it was confirmed I never returned anything on that receipt. Man, I'm getting more pissed just thinking about it

Well I just called customer service and he can't confirm or deny what their policy is in regards to confiscating and that he says she's obviously wrong after hearing the whole story but he can understand how it may look questionable to her if I'm trying to return something the system says has been returned. Really??!!!

Anyways this is better addressed with the general manager. We'll see how that goes

This is why I don't like complaining about these things unless I'm lookin for some sort of resolution. It only gets me more upset and I feel like its a total waste of my time.

oneplustwo
01-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Yowza. I'd feel like I was trapped in some sort of Twilight Zone episode. Or a really bad Saturday Night Live bit. (Actually, it would probably be really funny as an SNL skit).

I know you feel like it would be a waste of your time to complain to HQ or broadcast this on FB, but I agree with others that it would be a good thing. While you aren't looking for resolution of your specific issue since you (finally!) got your stuff returned and credited properly, the store's higher ups should make sure this doesn't happen again. Ever. And the mistake is so egregious on their part, I'd like to think that a store like The Container Store would compensate you somehow as well as a goodwill gesture.

OKKiddo
01-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys. After she finally processed my return she tells me that next time I need to make sure that I keep all my return receipts together so they would know what to do if it happens again. She says this even after it was confirmed I never returned anything on that receipt. Man, I'm getting more pissed just thinking about it

Well I just called customer service and he can't confirm or deny what their policy is in regards to confiscating and that he says she's obviously wrong after hearing the whole story but he can understand how it may look questionable to her if I'm trying to return something the system says has been returned. Really??!!!

Anyways this is better addressed with the general manager. We'll see how that goes

This is why I don't like complaining about these things unless I'm lookin for some sort of resolution. It only gets me more upset and I feel like its a total waste of my time.

This is the kind thing that would make me stew though--so it might feel like a waste of time, but thank you for posting about it. Simple word of mouth can save someone else from the same experience. Or, there might be a BBB activist that might take it upon him/herself to write an "onion" letter to TCS Corporate.

HannaAddict
01-17-2013, 05:24 AM
wow, that is horrible. the thing that is so crazy is that she kept insisting that you already returned them, even though you had the items right there with you!! i mean, why would anybody do that...that makes no sense. i'm surprised bc everytime i've gone to the container store, the staff seems super helpful, knowledgeable and professional...levels above the kind of staff at say, Wal-mart or TRU. that's crazy that this lady did this..i'd definitely be going to Facebook, and management.

this kinda reminds me of that other thread about customers accidentally not paying for items, going back to return them and/or pay for them, and then being accused of stealing. I think HannaAddict posted a story about a guy who got sued by HomeDepot bc he went back to pay for a tool he forgot to pay for. Insane. Last year once DD unbeknownst to me) took a 99 cent bouncy ball from TRU and i didnt' realize until after i had already strapped DS in. i didn't bother to go back after hearing these stories..how sad is that.

Good memory! The guy was charged criminally after Home Depot detained him! I could.not.believe the prosecutor went forward, but the loss prevention guy said he was "never wrong" and pushed. Had a long jury trial for my licensed contractor and loyal HD customer, he'd bought a ton that day, but stuck a wire stripper tiny tool in his Carharts while talking to job site on the phone. He had a HD credit card. It was surreal. We won, justice prevailed but my client was in tears, couldn't believe what happened and neither could the jury or judge. They were rightly indignant for my guy too. The Container Store sounds equally insane!

ckso
01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
So I finally got a call back from the store manager and she very patiently listened to what happen, was very apologetic and assured me she will be addressing it with her staff to prevent this from happening again.

She offered to send me a giftcard as well. I don't know how much but don't really care. I'm just happy that it seems like she was sincerely concerned about how I was treated and plans to make sure it doesn't happen again.

So, I'm happy!!

TwinFoxes
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
So I finally got a call back from the store manager and she very patiently listened to what happen, was very apologetic and assured me she will be addressing it with her staff to prevent this from happening again.

She offered to send me a giftcard as well. I don't know how much but don't really care. I'm just happy that it seems like she was sincerely concerned about how I was treated and plans to make sure it doesn't happen again.

So, I'm happy!!

So glad it was resolved to your satisfaction. What a rotten experience though.

oneplustwo
01-18-2013, 10:49 PM

So, I'm happy!!

I'm glad you got a call back from the manager and that she responded the way she did. Kudos to you for following up, especially since so often doing that just feels like you're beating your head senselessly against a wall. I bet it's a relief to have some resolution and not have it eating at you anymore!