PDA

View Full Version : Help with flossing preschooler's teeth

Momit
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
While I feel like I do a good job with brushing DS's teeth, I need to add flossing to the routine. I can floss my own teeth with no trouble, but it feels really funny to do it to someone else! I'd love some tips and I do have a few specific questions:
-what is the best position? I've had DS lie on his back and I just kind of kneel over him and do it. There must be a better way
-I got one of those flosser thingys on a stick - do I throw out the head after each use? That seems so wasteful but I don't really think you should re-use floss either. Can I use a toothbrush sanitizer? Listerine? Or just toss it?
-How do you know when you're all the way down between the teeth? I don't want to jam the floss into his gums but I'm not sure I'm getting it in all the way. He's been super cooperative so far - I don't want to hurt him and make him scared of flossing.

Thanks!

sariana
01-14-2013, 09:43 PM
I use disposable flosser "sword" thingies. It IS wasteful, but I just see any way to get regular floss into my kids' mouths.

Are your DS's teeth really close together? If not, you probably don't need to worry too much about getting "all the way down." Just scrape the side of each tooth and move on to the next gap. If they are close, you just have to be more careful. I guess I just eyeball to see if I'm getting down far enough.

SASM
01-14-2013, 09:47 PM
We use a Reach Flosser for DDs teeth. Probably ot the right thing to do but, because there is so much space in between each tooth, I do not throw out the flosser head each time. I rinse with it with hot water and dip it in Listerine.

Kindra178
01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
After trying everything on the market and dealing with crying, yelling and general nonsense, I switched to Glide Flossers (of course, based on recs here). Those things are the best. DS1 has no spaces between his teeth and these just glide in. He actually doesn't mind flossing anymore. I floss my teeth and he flosses his teeth and then I do a quick once over. As an added side benefit, I am not the best flosser myself, but my dentist told me he saw an incredible improvement in my teeth and gums recently. I buy them in bulk on Amazon.

maestramommy
01-14-2013, 10:55 PM
We use those plastic flossers. I don't recommend the Dentek in fun colors. We used to use them but found the regular Oral B that are green or purple work much better. They are flat tape and slide much more easily between tight teeth, which my kids have.

We started out with them lying down. But now they just stand on a stool and tilt their head back. We've been doing it as long as we've been brushing, so they know the drill.

LMPC
01-14-2013, 11:12 PM
We use the disposable flossers here too. Right now we have Dentek and they are working.