PDA

View Full Version : Apps for organizing books??

SASM
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Is there a magical app out there for scanning all book ISBN's, categorizing the library, and then printing the list??? Plus, if a book is not scannable (such as Scholastic paperbacks), I would love the ability to manually enter it. I have looked everywhere but cannot find an app that allows for printing. The book organizing apps that I HAVE found earned mediocre ratings. Please help!! I have an embarrassing amount of children's books that I would love to organize before my classes start back up next week!! TIA, I hope!!! I have an iPad, an iPod, and a MacBook but the scanning would probably come from the iPad if that helps.

etaylor75
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Have you looked at Goodreads? You can scan from your phone...and I'm pretty sure you can print a list.

Erin

SASM
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Have you looked at Goodreads? You can scan from your phone...and I'm pretty sure you can print a list.

Erin

ooohhh...I'll have to look at that! I am pretty sure that I have that app but didn't think that it organized books!! I thought it just recommended books.

Pinky
01-14-2013, 10:40 PM

Erin

I love my goodreads app! Had no idea you could scan with it!

Pinky
01-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Can you add books that aren't listed on goodreads? Or can you only add books that come up on the search?

SASM
01-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Can you add books that aren't listed on goodreads? Or can you only add books that come up on the search?
I just scanned a random Usborne Books Seashore Dot-to-Dot book and it recognized the barcode. It allowed me to customize a category. This will be great if it prints!

Pinky
01-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I just scanned a random Usborne Books Seashore Dot-to-Dot book and it recognized the barcode. It allowed me to customize a category. This will be great if it prints! Will you post back and tell us if it worked? I had no idea about the bar code scanner and now I see that it is right there on the main page of the app. Very happy about this!

I wonder if there is a way to manually add books to your goodreads account that are not in their database already?

missym
01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
LibraryThing (http://www.librarything.com) has a free scanner app for android phones:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/librarythingscanner/com.owlfish

They also have free options you can use with your webcam or a handheld scanner you can purchase for $15.

LibraryThing allows you to catalog 200 books for free, unlimited for $10/yr or $25/life. You can sort your book list, print, etc.

SASM
01-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Ohhh...I see there are a couple more replies from the last time I checked. Going to look at those but bumping this anyway. I am having problems with my GoodReads app and do not currently have access to my laptop to possibly tweak categories. Soo...any other suggestions??? Thank you... Off to check out the other suggestions.

Mali
01-17-2013, 04:17 PM
We use book crawler on our iPad. I don't know if you can print from it though as we've never tried. There's a free version you can play with and the full version was only a few dollars from what I remember.

jerseygirl
01-20-2013, 02:09 AM
I like goodreads. Very customizeable or creating your own categories. Can scan or search for any books. You can also download/export your list and sort/print it from there (csv or excel I think).

Works on both apple and android platform. You will need the desktop version for the more detailed functionality.

Pinky
01-23-2013, 09:43 AM
I like goodreads. Very customizeable or creating your own categories. Can scan or search for any books. You can also download/export your list and sort/print it from there (csv or excel I think).

Works on both apple and android platform. You will need the desktop version for the more detailed functionality.

Glad to know that you can download your book list. I didn't realize you could do this and was worried that Goodreads might crash someday and lose my list. I have hundreds of books on there sorted just the way I like them. :) I'm sure they have backups, but having an excel copy would make me feel better.