PDA

View Full Version : flu shot clinic question

amatahrain
01-14-2013, 10:17 PM
On the D.C. news they said they are holding flu shot clinics and if you think you might have the flu that they can do a rapid test to find out if it really is the flu and if not they can then administer the flu shot.

D.C. is 2 hours from us so I won't be driving there for the flu clinic but it made me wonder if the rapid test is common place at all flu clinics? My whole family is sick but I am worried that it might not be the flu since there are so many things going around. We haven't set up primary care doctors here since we moved so I would have to go to urgent care/med express to be seen by a doctor. I think there is a flu clinic in my area on Wednesday.

ellies mom
01-14-2013, 10:36 PM
I used to work for a company that ran flu shot clinics and we didn't offer the rapid tests. We don't offer them during the times we give flu shots at the clinic I volunteer at either.

jenstring95
01-14-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm not familiar with flu clinics, but I went to a clinic in a grocery store (like the ones that are in CVS and Walgreens), and they did the rapid test.

wallawala
01-15-2013, 01:05 AM
Was just at ped Friday who said the test is crap an he isn't bothering for the rest of the season. He felt it was less than 50% accurate. A flu shot takes about 2weeks to reach efficacy, and is not advised if you have an ongoing fever - so if you are sick already ( my DD for example) he recommends waiting to feel better to get flu vax. Still lots of flu season left if you get it now. As her sx were not classic for influenza, just stomach bug we elected to not test. YMMV