PDA

View Full Version : Boxcar Children or Bobbsey Twins?

ahisma
01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Which is better to read to a 6yo kindergartener? We'll do both, but which one should we do first?

swrc00
01-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Oh, I love both of these! I think kids find the Boxcar Children more interesting that the BTs.

Melaine
01-15-2013, 07:22 AM
I prefer boxcar children but I like bobbsey twins also. This is another great series from back in the day: http://thehappyhollisters.com/about-the-books/

rlu
01-16-2013, 05:50 PM
We're reading Boxcar Children to DS during bathtime (he's almost 9) and he really likes them. I didn't read too much of the Bobbsey Twins as a child and haven't previewed them. The youngest Boxcar child is about 6.

ncat
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
I enjoyed the Bobbsey Twins when I was little - they were the first chapter books I read by myself! I never got into the Boxcar children.

You can get many of them for free electronically, but in the original version which I found to be more than a little bit offensive (both racist and sexist) and generally dated. The 1960's or so rewrite is much more appropriate for children.

peter9091
05-03-2013, 02:35 AM
I just wanted to say thanks very much for sharing these.*

vonfirmath
05-13-2013, 10:36 AM
I prefer boxcar children but I like bobbsey twins also. This is another great series from back in the day: http://thehappyhollisters.com/about-the-books/

Laugh. I read the Bobbsey Twins and the Happy Holisters in junior high school. Dunno what I would have thought about them younger. Never read Boxcar children

123LuckyMom
05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I loved the Bobbsey Twins. I'm reading DS Enid Blyton's Folk of the Faraway Tree to be followed by The Enchanted Wood. Blyton's books have a similar feel to the Bobbsey Twins, as I recall. DS (4.5) is loving them. They do use British expressions, though, and the word "queer" is used quite often to mean odd or unusual. I know there's a new edition that changes that and also renames the character, Fanny. We just read the original. I told DS queer meant "unique".