PDA

View Full Version : Update and Question #11. Go to friend's mom's funeral out of state?

magnoliaparadise
01-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Hi,

Do you (would you) go to your friends' parents' funerals out of state?

My friend's mom died Sunday, sadly, and I am just so confused as to whether to go. I want to and feel I should, but wow, it would be really difficult.

The funeral is on Wednesday morning (Jewish burials take place within approx. 2 days, which is why it is so fast). Friend's parents and mine were very close to I grew up seeing friend a lot and traveling with her overseas once. We became friends of our own through young adulthood. We don't talk much or see each other much (she lives in CA and I live in NY), but I consider her a good friend. Her mom's death was not unexpected because of a long-term illness, but still a surprise that it happened now.

I am so torn.
It would be very difficult for me with my two young kids and no partner/father.
Funeral is in MA, so I could technically get there from NY, though difficult.
Because of the hour of the service (in the morning), I would have to leave in middle of night with DC2 (15 months old) and leave DC1 (almost 5) sleeping with a sitter. For different reasons, I can't go the night before and also need to keep DC1 at home.
I have no babysitters, so would have to mostly patch work friend's sitters and pay them. All friends work so I can't just leave her at a friends' house.
I don't have a car, but parents live in MA, so I would be ok car-wise once I got to MA.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

Why I would go:
- I want to be there for my friend. If a friend (me) doesn't show up for a friend in times like these, when would they?
-Friend's mother was a lovely, good person. I would be going for my friend, not for me, but like the idea of knowing that I did this out of respect for friend's mother, too.
- When my nephew died, my parents told their friends not to make the commute (also 5 hours). Some did anyway, and honestly, we were all floored and touched that they would do that. However, as my parents point out, their friends were retirees with time and no young kids to take care of, so in a bit different boat than me right now.

Why I would not go:
- huge hassle in terms of my kids - would basically mean leaving DC1 here and having 3 different babysitters through the day for her (she is in school, which is good). My DD1 has never slept without me (except when I gave birth to DD2) so being away from me would be pretty huge for her. In terms of DD2 (15 months), it would mean a 5-6 hour train ride (when you count getting to and from train) or 5 hour drive strapped in car seat (which she hates) and then a totally new stranger sitter in MA to take her for 2 hours while I went to the service. And she is at the peak of her stranger anxiety phase and hates being away from me everrrrrr.
- expensive - yes, I would move mountains and spend any amount of money to be there for my friend at a time like this, but maybe it would be better to use the money to visit her instead? I think it would cost me about $500, maybe a little more, given sitter fees and train tickets (or renting a car).
- not sure friend would really notice I was there. YES, she would see me and be very touched, I think, but... she has her immediate and extended family and is still in shock and we wouldn't get to talk much anyway.
- I could only stay for the 1.5-2 hour service so would not be there for much time anyway, which makes the hassle seem even more difficult. Everything is far away from each other so after the funeral service, there would be a one hour drive to the burial, and then after the burial, another hour hour drive back and then sitting shiva. It would just be too much time away from DD1 and also too much time for DD2 to be with stranger babysitter. So... I would leave after the 2 hour service and head back to NYC.

TIA for any advice. I guess I feel like it would be so difficult to do, yet I do feel like it is the right thing to do.

infomama
01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Trying to put myself in your shoes....
I have a very good old friend who lives a few states away. We were close growing up but only speak now and then. That being said it's always like we didn't miss a beat which is so nice but I think he would not expect me at his mom's funeral. Memorial service a few months away? Yes. But considering the short time line, he would understand.
I would send flowers (or make a donation if that is requested), a card and try to connect in the near future if she is open to that.
If you can work it out I am sure she would appreciate you being there but if you can't go I don't think she would hold it against you. It sounds like it would be a miraculous feat to get all your ducks in a row and make it to the funeral based on your OP.

mikeys_mom
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Could you go visit her over the weekend during the Shiva? Would you be able to bring both DD's and/or stay a bit longer that way?

FIL passed away very suddenly 9 years ago. Because the funeral happens so quickly, lots of out of town family and friends couldn't make it to the funeral. However, there were tons of people from out of town who came for just the shiva. I know the family was just as touched that they came for the shiva and understood why they couldn't come for the funeral.

123LuckyMom
01-15-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm sure your friend would understand if you can't go. I would send flowers or a donation to a charity, if that's what they prefer, and I would write a heartfelt letter of condolence (more than just signing a card.) if you can manage to visit when she's sitting shiva, that would be nice, but if the trip is just too hard, it's just too hard. So long as you really make an effort to express your condolences, I'm sure she'll be grateful.

ezcc
01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
When my father died suddenly a few years ago, one of my closest friends got on a plane with her 1 month old and came to the service, another flew in from several states away. These were college friends who knew my dad, but not super well. I was incredibly touched that they went to such great effort. It still, 5 years later means a lot and always will. Of course lots of other close friends couldn't come for family/work obligations and I certainly understood that. I don't think there is a wrong answer, but I can say that making the effort would likely be meaningful and appreciated by her.

JustMe
01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
As another single mom and someone who has lost both of her parents, I would go. If there is a time to deal with hassle, spending money, and inconveniencing your children, this is it. It is huge when your parents die and, I know for my sister and I, every single person who showed up was noticed, appreciated, and a huge comfort. FWIW, my mom had a long-term illness as well and this did not change how we felt about this.

The only alternative I would consider would be, as someone said, coming for some of the shiva and being able to spend more time/be less inconvenienced---or possibly some weekend soon after when you go and spend time with her.

magnoliaparadise
01-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Hi,
Thank you for all your posts. I really appreciate them.
I don't think I can go to the shiva, unfortunately, because they aren't having too much of one - only two nights for 2 hours each and I have to get back home quickly because we are celebrating my DD1's birthday party (40 people are coming and lots to do) and I wouldn't want to cancel it (for DD1's sake).
You have given me a lot of food for thought. I will think about it more. Thank you so much. And if anyone has additional views, please feel free to write.
I am sorry for all of those who posted who lost parents. That is huge and really hard.

megs4413
01-15-2013, 01:32 PM
In this particular case, I would send flowers. When my FIL died (I know it's not the same as a parent dying, but he was a father to me since I am estranged from my own and I've been with DH since I was 15) several of my out of state friends made very generous offers to come and support me at the funeral, but I didn't want to inconvenience any of them. Having their calls/emails/cards/flowers was enough. I appreciated the effort they went to. Hopefully your friend will understand and feel the same.

cvanbrunt
01-15-2013, 01:41 PM
A few friends from high school showed up at my mom's funeral. It meant a lot to me. I hadn't seen them in at least 15 years and haven't seen them since but I think of them very fondly. I'm heading to a memorial service 900 miles away in a couple of weeks for my best friend from high school's dad. We were very close and our families lived next door to each other and our dad's were colleagues at the same university. I wouldn't miss it. I have help though, and several weeks to plan. I'd go if you can. It will mean the world to your friend.

AngB
01-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Could you ask your friend?

Approach it like, I would love to come be there for you. But I was wondering if it would be more helpful for me to come a week later and spend time with you? I'm not able to do both so I was wondering which way would be better for you...having me there at the service or a week later?

While I remember every person who was at our dd's funeral, I would have much rather had a good friend there to be with us a few weeks later than the day of the ceremony when we were still in a grief fog and not have time to talk much to any one person anyway, if they could understandably only be there once.

magnoliaparadise
01-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi all,
OP here. Still trying to figure this out - probably will go to shiva tonight (rather than funeral).

Now my question is, can I take the kids to the shiva (my friend has kids, her siblings have kids) or is that too weird?

I don't love the idea because my daughter is 5 and I would rather shield her from her growing knowledge about death. And the kids will both be exhausted from the train ride and time of night (6:30 - 8:30, though I could leave earlier). But - it would be easier having them with me than getting a babysitter and my parents can't help because they want to be at the shiva (limited hours so they want to go then, too).

Some people made other good suggestions - unfortunately, I can't go this weekend (for shiva) because they aren't having it more than two nights and because I am having my daughter's birthday party.
And unfortunately, I can't visit my friend (in Boston where the funeral is) a few days later because she lives in CA and will be returning there soon. I can visit her in CA (and have always wanted to), but if I do, I will need to bring my children and make it a big holiday trip, renting a car upon arrival, etc.... I'm not sure it would be helpful to her to have my whole mishpuka (family) descend on her there, the youngest in full bloom toddlerhood, and have her have to be hostess...
Also, I should have called and asked her advice - good suggestion - but now I feel like it is way too late, given that the funeral is today.

Thanks again for your advice

Lucky mom to my two kids, almost 5 years old and 15 months

JustMe
01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Hi all,
OP here. S

Now my question is, can I take the kids to the shiva (my friend has kids, her siblings have kids) or is that too weird?

I have been to several shivas (oops, probably not the right plural) as a child, I have taken my dd to shiva, and I have consistently seen children at shivas. Not weird at all. Now, as far as being tired from the train ride, only you can decide if that would be too much for them and you...but definitely not weird to bring them.

mikeys_mom
01-16-2013, 11:27 AM
I have been to several shivas (oops, probably not the right plural) as a child, I have taken my dd to shiva, and I have consistently seen children at shivas. Not weird at all. Now, as far as being tired from the train ride, only you can decide if that would be too much for them and you...but definitely not weird to bring them.

:yeahthat:
Totally fine IME to bring children to the shiva.