PDA

View Full Version : Rust of new flatware! Help!

georgiegirl
01-15-2013, 09:16 AM
About two months ago, DH and I replaced our flatware. Our old set never had a problem. It was Oneida and wasn't my style (flowers on it), and the ILs needed a set, so we decided to give them ours and get a new set. First I got a Reed & Barton set (from Costco). A few weeks after we got it, we noticed rust spots on some of the knives and a few other pieces. It took me a little while to get around to exchange it (after the holidays.). Costco gave us a refund, and I picked out a Henckles set. That was about 2 weeks ago. And guess what!!!! Today I fund rust on one of the knives. I'm so incredibly frustrated. We have a water softener, and we never had a problem before. Yes, I put them in the dishwasher, but I make sure to always rinse them, and I never leave them sitting in anything acidic.

I'm afraid to buy a set from anywhere other than Costco, since they have an awesome return policy. Both of the brands (Reed & Barton and Henckles) have good reviews (both here in BBB and on amazon) and are reputable companies. I just don't know what to do. All I want is a decent looking set of flatware that won't rust!!!!

What should I do?

MamaInMarch
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
I have never owned anything other than Oneida and I treat it like crap. I have never had a single speck of rust or a problem with it. I would return to Costco and order some Oneida.

1964pandora
01-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that your flatware is 18/0 not 18/8 or 18/10. Definitely take Costco up on their return policy then look to replace with flatware that is clearly marked 18/8 or 18/10. The best place i have found to buy flatware cheaply Is the Silver Superstore, (online store, no
affilliation) but once you find the pattern you want, just google around for the best price. I like a nice heavy set. The silver superstore website is great because they list the heaviest patterns. Be very careful to avoid 18/0 stainless because it is everywhere. When you receive your flatware make sure the individual
pieces are clearly stamped 18/8 or 18/0. Oneida sells some 18/0 sets now to save money as do many stainless manufacturers.

georgiegirl
01-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Both sets were 18/10

oneontheway
01-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Are you using a rinse aid? For some reason I always get rust on ours if I don't use the rinse aid in the wash. The other thing might be the drying setting... do they dry with heat or air?

georgiegirl
01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
I think I might have found the answer. We switched dishwasher detergents not to long ago to a Kirkland brand that is citrus scent, and apparently lemon/citrus scented detergents may cause spotting, rusting, etc.

mmsmom
01-15-2013, 10:34 AM
I think I might have found the answer. We switched dishwasher detergents not to long ago to a Kirkland brand that is citrus scent, and apparently lemon/citrus scented detergents may cause spotting, rusting, etc.

You are probably right. I have found that type of water, type of detergent, etc. makes a difference. Even the highest quality stainless can get rust spots in certain circumstances.

FYI... my knives get rust spots and a google search recently suggested soaking them in Coca-Cola and it worked well! Stuck them all in a glass, filled it with Coke and let it sit overnight. The spots came right off in the morning.

1964pandora
01-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Well, glad to learn about that because I just purchased lemon Cascade for the first time. I will be on the lookout!

alien_host
01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
We've been battling rust spots too, and have a water softener. Check and see if any parts of your dishwasher has rust. We found some ball bearings on the sliding trays were rusted, which might have been depositing rust on the flatware. I also noticed the spring on a set of tongs was rusted so I tossed those.

Since replacing the ball bearings and ensuring nothing rusty is going in, it has helped.