PDA

View Full Version : perfume!

PunkyBoo
01-15-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't wear purfume. I have a sensitive nose and allergies. A couple of weeks ago my department moved a very nice lady over to my side of the hall. She is very sweet and I've chatted with her about our families on numerous occasions. My office is probably about 80-100 feet from her desk and I can smell her perfume IN MY OFFICE even though she hasn't come in my office today. She walked by 2 hours ago and its lingering. It is a very strong floral honeysuckle type smell... I don't think she used to wear it (or maybe not so much) when she sat on the other hall but now its overwhelming. Its strong and distracting. I'm so tired of smelling it all day long...

123LuckyMom
01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
I can't stand the smell of perfume! It gives me a terrible headache. I feel your pain. In this situation, I would call HR and describe the situation. Ask them if there is anything that can be done. Many workplaces are scent restricted or even severely restricted in all sorts of chemical use due to chemical sensitivity disorder. Normally I would advocate speaking directly to a coworker if you had a problem, but in this case, HR might already have some policy in place.

HonoluluMom
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Wow, just this morning I was wondering whether people become immune to the smell of their perfume after I had to follow a heavily perfumed woman from the parking garage and into the elevator.

Yeah, I agree that you should talk to your HR department about the matter.

mommylamb
01-15-2013, 04:02 PM
That would drive me nuts. I also hate most perfume, and I feel like the perfume lovers out there wear way too much. My MIL is a perfume wearer and it drives me crazy. When she visited last fall, DS2 would cry every time she held him, and I think it was because of her perfume. She used to be a smoker, and I think her sense of smell is just gone so she doesn't realize how strong it is. I tried to get DH to suggest to her that maybe she should wear less of it to test my theory on why DS2 cried so much whenever she would hold him, but he wouldn't do it. Chicken.

jal
01-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Many companies have dress codes and hygiene codes and workplace rules so that employee's won't be offensive to clients and each other. Usually these codes include language about overly strong cologne and perfume use. This might be a company rules violation you need to bring up with your superiors.

MamaSnoo
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
How annoying!

It seems like if you brought it up with your superiors, or with HR, depending on organizational structure, then potentially your employer could address it sensitively with her without involving you directly.

Tondi G
01-20-2013, 03:30 AM
uugh. I have a sensitive nose too. I get a headache in minutes walking by stores that sell scented candles and perfume depts.

My Mom is one of those people who smells like they took a bath in their perfume. If she is rushing to get ready and applies it and then gets in my car I can literally taste her perfume. blech!