PDA

View Full Version : Medela Swing Single Electric Breast Pump ??

Jupiter
01-17-2013, 02:44 PM
My insurance will cover a new breast pump from a medical supply place. They gave us the name of 3 places near us. Only 1 has a breast pump and its the Medela Swing Single Electric Breast Pump

Is anyone familiar with the pump? Is there any online medical supply places that have Brest pumps?

lizzywednesday
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
If you're going to be pumping for any length of time, a single isn't going to be as efficient as a double.

That said, it's my opinion that the Swing is a great pump for emergency and/or occasional use but I don't know that I'd want to rely on it as my one-and-only pump. But, then again, I'm a full-time office worker, so my situation is likely very different from yours (IIRC, you are a teacher.)

If you haven't already registered for one, or had your baby shower, you might want to put a double electric pump on your registry. You never know what people will want to spend their money on!

Jupiter
01-20-2013, 12:18 AM
I'm due in 5 weeks. I'm just annoyed that the 2 places "in network" only have single electric. Apparently anything out of network, anything online, you have to pay $100 then 20% of the balance. Though still cheaper than at babies r us.

lizzywednesday
01-22-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm due in 5 weeks. I'm just annoyed that the 2 places "in network" only have single electric. Apparently anything out of network, anything online, you have to pay $100 then 20% of the balance. Though still cheaper than at babies r us.

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is what kind of use is this pump going to see?

Are you going to "need" a double electric because you're returning to work soon (and therefore need the "efficient" aspect of emptying both breasts simultaneously) or will the single electric work OK because you won't be using it as your one-and-only pump?

If it's going to see heavy use, I say opt for the double electric, even if it's something you have to pay OOP for - even with a coupon, a PISA at BRU is going to be over $100.

If not, the single should be fine.

edurnemk
01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
I have the Swing, it's great for occasional use for a SAHM, which is how I use it. But if you're returning to work or plan to pump daily or at least very often, I'd get a more "powerful" model and maybe even a double.

But I am very happy with the Swing, really it's a nice pump. But I only use it a couple of times a week, tops. The most I've used it was for a 24 hour period I left DD with my mom to go to an out-of-town wedding and I had to pump every 3 hours while away.

Jupiter
01-22-2013, 07:10 PM
I guess my problem is I'm not sure how I'll use it. This is my first baby and I plan to be home with her for 6 months. At that point I don't know if I'll want to stop breast feeding when I go back or not.
I found out the hospital sells a purely yours double that would be considered in network. Only problem is the gift shop sells it, I'm not sure how insurance would pay for it unless I got in on the hospital bill somehow.