PDA

View Full Version : 17 mo old eating more than 4 yr old?

amm40
01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Consistently, DS2 out eats DS1 by 50% or more. And enthusiastically nurses three times a day! I cannot think of a recent meal where DS1 ate the most. Been going on too long to be a growth spurt, and I honestly can't remember what DS1 ate at the same age. DS1 is skinny by nature, little bro seems a bit chunkier and both are at the top of the charts for height.

I'm not worried, they eat mostly healthy home cooked meals, love fruits and eat veggies well. I just wonder if this is something others have encountered because it's surprising to me!

LMPC
01-17-2013, 10:21 PM
DD ate HUGE quantities at that age...in fact she still has a healthy appetite. But I distinctly remember before the age of 2, watching her eat and thinking "holy moly! that kid can eat!"

AngB
01-18-2013, 02:31 PM
I remember when DS1 was at one of my high risk ob appointments telling her how we had to order him his own meal/kid's meal most of the time because he ate so much that if I just shared with him, I would hardly get to eat! That was around 15 months. Now around 20 months he is way more picky and doesn't eat nearly as much, most of the time, and when we order him his own meal he usually doesn't hardly eat most of it.

\

crl
01-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Older ds ate a ton through about age four, really. I once scrambled five eggs for the two of us for dinner when he was two and I got none because he ate them all. He also once at that age ate three entire slices of a large pizza. He's very high energy, skinny and seems to need the calories.

Catherine

BabbyO
01-21-2013, 11:29 AM
My 16 mo old eats more than his 3.5 yo big brother for almost every meal (at least for every meal I see). He had a couple days last week where he ate less...but he had a cold and double ear infection.

He routinely eats more than I do, too.

The Sunday before Christmas while Stachio and I were at church he ate:
-1 1/2 bananas
-1/2 bagel
-1 bowl of cereal (Kashi)
-7 turkey link breakfast sausages
When we got home from Church (I didn't know he'd eaten all this with DH) he ate:
-Another banana
-3/4 of my bowl of cereal

He's in the 50% for height and weight....

fedoragirl
01-21-2013, 03:30 PM
My 16 month old eats double of his 3 year old sister. Both kids are in 75% of weight and 100% for height.

amm40
01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
So I'm not alone then! Isn't it fun to see them eat? I'm relishing this stage, knowing the picky preschooler eating is around the corner. And soon enough they'll be teenagers and cleaning out the fridge all on their own :)

MoJo
01-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I always say that restaurants are providing free food to the wrong child, because the one who's under 3 ALWAYS eats more than the one who is three.

:heartbeat: added for the enjoyment of the one who's older than three.