PDA

View Full Version : Clothes for WDW in Feb

jgenie
01-18-2013, 08:12 AM
We're going to WDW in Feb and I have no idea what type of clothes to pack for us. I was thinking jeans and long sleeve shirts with a hoodie for cold nights. I spoke with a reservationist yesterday and she said they wear shorts and tshirts in Feb. So wise BBBers that have gone before :), what should we pack? TIA

ETA: Should I be packing swimsuits? Are there indoor pools?

BeachBum
01-18-2013, 08:23 AM
As a Floridian, I would say Feb is one of the coldest months. Best case scenario, I would plan on the days being 60 and sunny, with 40s' in the morn and evening. Just keep a watch on the weather and the 10 day forecasts are usually pretty accurate.

mommytoC
01-18-2013, 08:40 AM
We've gone twice, the weekend after President's Day. On our first trip, we had highs of 68-72 (with lows in the high-40s to 50s), and on our second, we had highs of 74-82. DD and I wore a mix of short/long sleeves and capris/jeans our first trip; DDs and I wore short sleeves, shorts and capris on our second.

Our first trip was more typical, I think, weather-wise.

hellokitty
01-18-2013, 09:12 AM
We like going in Dec, and we always have to layer. It can be chilly (40's) or warm enough to do shorts and t-shirts. Bring gloves and hats too, just in case. They will gauge you for that sort of stuff if it is super cold when you go and you did not bring it. I just got the cheapy dollar store stretchy gloves and threw them in our suitcase as a just in case thing, and we didn't end up needing them, but I was glad that we had them, b/c it was cold enough that we all had to wear polar fleece when we went less than two months ago.

Moneypenny
01-18-2013, 01:56 PM
We went the first week of February last year. We never needed jeans. Looking back at our pictures, most days we were in shorts and t-shirts. One day was capris and long-sleeve tees. One day was tanks. February in Florida can be quite variable and can change from one day to the next so you really want to pack a mix of everything just in case.

swissair81
01-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Oh I'm so glad to see this. We're going next week, and I have zero idea what to pack- especially for the baby.

jjordan
01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
We just got back, were there Jan. 1-10. We are from near Buffalo so we're used to cold. I wore pants and short sleeves with a jacket/sweatshirt over (though often took it off by mid-morning). Dh wore shorts every day, with a t-shirt, usually long sleeves (either sweatshirt or a long sleeved t) at least in the morning and evening. DD (6.5) wore summer dresses, no tights/leggings, and a sweatshirt which was always gone by mid-morning. DS (4.5) usually wore the same as dh (shorts + t-shirt, with long sleeves in morning). Similar for the baby.

Sort of depends on what weather you're used to though - on one day we were on the bus with a family from South Florida. We were all in short sleeves and feeling hot, they were in jeans and sweaters and looking cold. :)

I agree with the advice to just check the long-term weather forecast before you go and plan from there. Remember that if you're from the north, even 65* will feel quite warm, since your body is used to 20-30*.

ilfaith
01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
I would just check the weather forecast a few days before departure. That time of year you could have temperatures in the 50s or in the 80s...or more likely, dipping into the 50s at night and rising into the 80s by day. I would say layers would be the best choice...tee shirts and shorts or long pants, plus a fleece for early mornings and after sundown.

We are actually going to WDW this weekend (we're just a two-hour drive from the park, so we decided to take advantage of the Florida-resident deals and long weekend). High are supposed to be in the low to mid 70s with daytime lows around 60 degrees. We'll probably dress in shorts but have sweatshirts for the morning (because, since moving to Florida, I have become a total wuss when it comes to cold weather).

jgenie
01-18-2013, 03:34 PM

mommytoC
01-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Where we've stayed, there have only been outdoor pools...the Disney pools are heated, though, and have been warm enough for us to swim both times.

cono0507
01-18-2013, 04:08 PM
We were there in February.
We wore shorts and short sleeves with a hoody in the mornings and evenings.
We swam once (in the evening) but it was chilly - outdoor pool at wilderness lodge.

jjordan
01-18-2013, 04:27 PM

Definitely bring swim suits - only outdoor pools, but they'll be open, and chances are decent that there will be at least one afternoon where it's warm enough to swim.

jgenie
01-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Definitely bring swim suits - only outdoor pools, but they'll be open, and chances are decent that there will be at least one afternoon where it's warm enough to swim.

Neither DC can swim and we're staying at AofA. Do I need to bring life vests or do all the pools have kid safe shallow areas?

cono0507
01-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Neither DC can swim and we're staying at AofA. Do I need to bring life vests or do all the pools have kid safe shallow areas?

Wilderness Lodge had a rack of life vests in different kid sizes for guests to use. You might want to call and inquire to save having to bring them along.

jjordan
01-18-2013, 08:16 PM

The AofA is themed in a very child-friendly way, so I can't imagine that they *wouldn't* have pools that are good for little ones. But I'm not finding much in specifics on the Disney site. If no one here knows (remember that AofA has only been open a few months!), then maybe ask this question at a Disney forum (eg DISboards).

hellokitty
01-18-2013, 08:32 PM

You can get life vests for your kids at the resort. Usually the pool area or gift shop. You will need your drivers license and room key. You can keep them for the duration of your trip and as long as you return them, you won't be charged for them.

newg
01-18-2013, 10:49 PM
What did you take for footwear? We're also going in Feb. and I'm wondering if I should shop early for good sandals for all of us?

jjordan
01-18-2013, 11:04 PM
What did you take for footwear? We're also going in Feb. and I'm wondering if I should shop early for good sandals for all of us?

I wore sneakers or loafer-type shoes every day. The kids (4.5 and 6.5) wore crocs. Dh wore sandals. The toddler wore Robeez or similar.

teresah00
01-18-2013, 11:13 PM
We went in February 3 yrs ago for a week. Some days we wore shorts and tshirts and some it was pants , long sleeves and a jacket. DH took the kids swimming two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2013, 11:34 PM
We went in Jan. before and 2 days were 80 and sunny. Next 2 days were 50s and rain!

hellokitty
01-19-2013, 12:03 AM

Two prs of shoes each. A pr of crocs for dh and the kids for pool time, mostly and good sneakers for park time. Unfortunately, DS1 had generic crocs that started falling apart during our trip. I won't be buying the generic ones again after that experience.