PDA

View Full Version : When to Pump?

blue
01-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I am trying to figure out when to pump milk for DS2. I may be over thinking this in my sleep deprived state. Currently I pump at night after every BM/formula bottle. My nipples are still really sore from being torn up after the first few weeks of bad latches and tongue tie, so I will continue to pump at night for now. The night pumping schedule seems to work for now. However, the daytime pumping is not. DS2 is getting a combination of bottles and breast during the day (depends on how much pain I am in for which I feed him).

If I offer him the breast, should I just automatically pump after every time (sometimes he feeds off both breasts and sometimes only one for a few minutes)? Or should I wait and pump in an hour? When he feeds off of just one, or falls asleep at the breast (he does this a lot too), his eating is more erratic and less consistent, so I have a hard time figuring out when to pump in those circumstances. That often results in me pumping right before he is hungry and my breasts are rather empty, or me waiting hours for him to get hungry and breast feed him only to have bad latching or pain and resort to the bottle. Anyone have any suggestions or BTDT. Thanks

ArizonaGirl
01-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Have you seen a LC?

I might consider just pumping, until your nipples heal up and he gets better at feeding and then try the breast again. Either that or you are probably going to try to have to set up some sort of a schedule. For young babies perhaps every 2 hours.

HTH:hug:

blue
01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Have you seen a LC?

I might consider just pumping, until your nipples heal up and he gets better at feeding and then try the breast again. Either that or you are probably going to try to have to set up some sort of a schedule. For young babies perhaps every 2 hours.

HTH:hug:
(holding baby typing one handed,sorry for spelling sentaces)
i have seen two different lc twice each. they have been helpful, but my body is just not healing fast, and latch is still a problem. i made another app for wed so hopefully she can help me figure out when to pump....thanks arizonagirl

ArizonaGirl
01-21-2013, 11:15 PM
NP, I just hope they can help you and you can get healed up so that you are pain free.

Feel free to ask any more questions or come here for any more support you need

:hug:

jennilynn
01-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Is the pump causing the pain or breast feeding? Are you returning to work soon? If not, I'd skip pumping and concentrate on establishing breast feeding. Typically I leave my pump out of the equation until about two weeks before I have to go to work. Also, lanolin on the nipples after/before feedings. There's also a prescription nipple cream that helps but I can't remember the name of it. Good luck mama!

ArizonaGirl
01-22-2013, 12:20 AM
There's also a prescription nipple cream that helps but I can't remember the name of it. Good luck mama!

I think it is APNO (All Purpose Nipple Ointment) it has to be compounded tho.

HTH

daisyd
01-22-2013, 04:39 PM
This sounds like me and DC2. Hugs, I know how frustrating it is. I'm still working on this and I'm told everyone is different, so no advice other than hang in there.

If it will help to hear my experience, I'm mostly pumping with some nursing. There are days I don't nurse because of the pain, DS falling alseep, not eating enough becomnig a worry, plus its tiring to work on nursing and work on pumping around the clock. My LC suggested nursing/ attempting for 15-20 min followed by immediate pumping, which is not always possible for me. I'll be following this thread to see what other experienced mamas suggest.

It will get easier and better.Keep at it.

mommylamb
01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
I think it depends on the reason why you're pumping. Is it to build up your freezer stash? So that someone else can bottle feed him? Increase your production?

If it is to build up your freezer stash or so someone else can feed him, I'd pump more in the mornings before feeding him because you probably have more supply at that time. If it's to increase your production, than I'd pump more after a feeding.

blue
01-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Is the pump causing the pain or breast feeding? Are you returning to work soon? If not, I'd skip pumping and concentrate on establishing breast feeding. Typically I leave my pump out of the equation until about two weeks before I have to go to work. Also, lanolin on the nipples after/before feedings. There's also a prescription nipple cream that helps but I can't remember the name of it. Good luck mama!

It is the breast feeding causing the pain. I am not returning to work, I stay home with the kids. I have been pumping because some days I am in too much pain to even breast feed, so I need to get the milk out some way....I got a scrip for the all purpose nipple cream, and it did help heal the nipples quiet a bit, but bad/poor latch has still been causing pain.

blue
01-22-2013, 09:53 PM
This soundslike me and DC2. Hugs, I know how frustrating it is. I'm still working on this and I'm told everyone is different, so no advice other than hang in there.

If it will help to hear my experience, I'm mostly pumping with some nursing. There are days I don't nurse because of the pain, DS falling alseep, not eating enough becomnig a worry, plus its tiring to work on nursing and work on pumping around the clock. My LC suggested nursing/ attempting for 15-20 min followed by immediate pumping, which is not always possible for me. I'll be following this thread to see what other experienced mamas suggest.

It will get easier and better.Keep at it.

Hugs Daisyd, I have been reading your threads and problems with pain and nursing too....I have been trying to do the immediate pumping right after nursing the past few days. It is very hard to do, especially with DS1 needing attention, feeding, etc too. I see the LC tomarrow again, so I am planing on asking her about when to pump too.

blue
01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
I think it depends on the reason why you're pumping. Is it to build up your freezer stash? So that someone else can bottle feed him? Increase your production?

If it is to build up your freezer stash or so someone else can feed him, I'd pump more in the mornings before feeding him because you probably have more supply at that time. If it's to increase your production, than I'd pump more after a feeding.

Thanks for suggestions on when to pump too. I am pumping now to just have enough to feed him in the day and night by bottle. I have been trying to increase nursing sessions, but it is slow and difficult.

Thanks ladies for your support and suggestions.

ArizonaGirl
01-22-2013, 11:20 PM
No problem,

:hug: and let us know if we can do anything else for you

daisyd
01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Did you see the LC? Keep us posted on how you're doing.

For nipple pain while nursing, in addition to the APNO I was recommended the tendercare hydrogel pads to hasten healing. I found it very helpful. You may want to check with your LC

blue
01-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Did you see the LC? Keep us posted on how you're doing.

For nipple pain while nursing, in addition to the APNO I was recommended the tendercare hydrogel pads to hasten healing. I found it very helpful. You may want to check with your LC

I loved the hydro gel pads too. They helped alot with the initial nipple injury from the first two weeks of breast feeding....Unfortunatly the LC canceled on me due to her being sick. I live in a small town and the LC is only avaliable every wednesday. I may just need to go to the bigger town an hour away to see the LC there again. In the mean time I will keep pumping whenever I get a chance.

mjs64
01-25-2013, 03:32 AM
Aw, so sorry you're in a such pain! After the first few weeks of poor latch and nipple pain, my lc gave me nipple shields, which were a relief. You can try them (get at BRU). The thing that ultimately helped was working on the latch, which was hard for DS, partly because of tongue tie, partly because the first few weeks of trying hadn't taught him the right way to latch.

Watching videos of nursing and reading Dr. Jack Newmans website helped. And yes, drive to that town to see another lc! Poor thing.

daisyd
01-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Aw, so sorry you're in a such pain! After the first few weeks of poor latch and nipple pain, my lc gave me nipple shields, which were a relief. You can try them (get at BRU). The thing that ultimately helped was working on the latch, which was hard for DS, partly because of tongue tie, partly because the first few weeks of trying hadn't taught him the right way to latch.

Watching videos of nursing and reading Dr. Jack Newmans website helped. And yes, drive to that town to see another lc! Poor thing.

This is good advice - nipple shields, looking at online resources (youtube) and getting an LC to help soonest. You probably already know about kellymom.com. If you try nipple shields be sure to pump regularly as the breast has less stimulation than with baby latching directly which can affect milk supply. Hang in there and keep us posted.

juggler00
01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
I'd pump after every feed (breast or bottle). If baby falls asleep on the breast or otherwise has a sluggish feed I'd then give baby what you pumped. This should help space the feeds a bit and help baby learn to take a full feed.