PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean this bathtub?

crl
01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
So our new-to-us but old house has what I am 99 percent sure is a cast iron bathtub. In the bottom of the tub are no-slip circles that seem to be part of the tub (as opposed to something applied later). The circles are clearly darker than the white tub and the ones in the middle, ie where you stand to take a shower, are darkest. But I haven't been able to get them clean. I have tried TJs all purpose cleaner. Did not help. And I have tried my go-to baking soda mixed with liquid hand soap to make a paste. Helped a tiny bit. And I have tried bleach bathroom cleaner. Did not help.

So what do I try now? I don't want to damage the finish on the tub, because I know that will just create a perpetual cleaning problem. So I am afraid to try Magic Eraser or abrasive cleaners.

Thanks!
Catherine

khm
01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
I was going to suggest Magic Eraser, I've had such luck with them! I have no knowledge of cast iron though.

A quick google is your exact issue, maybe try some of the lesser evils first?
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cleaning/msg021000118529.html

BabyH
01-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Before we redid our kitchen, we had a gigantic white cast iron sink... it was a PITA to keep clean, honestly, and I was never quite happy with the way it was. I used Barkeeper's Friend on it when I was "deep cleaning" it. Not sure if that will help your problem, but it's worth a try.

KLD313
01-20-2013, 09:47 PM
I wonder if peroxide mixed with the baking soda would help?

crl
01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Okay, I will try the baking soda and vinegar method described in the gardenweb thread first. That seems safe for the bathtub and me!

Thank you,
Catherine

ShayleighCarsensMom
01-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Have you tried filling the tub with a water/bleach mix and letting it sit overnight?

Valerie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crl
01-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Have you tried filling the tub with a water/bleach mix and letting it sit overnight?

Valerie

No, I'm a little afraid of bleach, especially sitting for a long time with the kids. But maybe I will try it if the vinegar and baking soda doesn't work.

Thanks!
Catherine

spannaz
01-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Vinegar and baking soda has done wonders at our house. Grime and stains that nothing could get off came off clean with this mixture. Our cleaning lady showed us this mixture and we haven't looked back. When she comes over, she goes into each room and sprays all surfaces first, then lets them sit/ soak a bit. I would recommend spraying the vinegar and baking soda and leaving for 15 min then spraying again and wait a few minutes. Let us know if that works!

crl
01-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Will try the baking soda and vinegar thing and report back, maybe day after tomorrow as the kids and I have fun plans for tomorrow.

Thanks everyone,
Catherine

hwin708
01-21-2013, 05:06 AM
I've dealt with this exact problem. I buy whatever giant, maximum-strength bottle of hydrogen peroxide hair bleach they have at Sally's. The hair formulas have a creamy texture, so it will stay on the tub, without running right down the drain. Then I just squirt it all over the marks, leave it, forget about it, come back a few hours later, and scrub (no real elbow grease required) it all away.

Kindra178
01-21-2013, 09:35 AM
A little Dawn mixed with the vinegar and baking soda may help too.